Eric Prime

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Holy shit :ohmygod:

This reminds me a lot of the JW Opening Weekend, where estimates also just kept on rising and @RthMav jeezed his pants numerous times!

This thing is going over 600M DOM easily. 700M is certainly in play at the pace of its current momentum.

I was thinking the same thing. Jurassic World is the biggest gap between projections and actuals that I am aware of.

God damn at Mario. Not only is it looking at a record breaking 215-220M five day allowing it to be the biggest movie of the year with an outside shot at biggest animated movie ever both domestically and worldwide but it did so on Easter weekend and when kids movies were floundering with some exceptions. Could be a nice kick in the pants to show big screen animation is back.

• Like 1

Just now, YM! said:

God damn at Mario. Not only is it looking at a record breaking 215-220M five day allowing it to be the biggest movie of the year with an outside shot at biggest animated movie ever both domestically and worldwide but it did so on Easter weekend and when kids movies were floundering with some exceptions. Could be a nice kick in the pants to show big screen animation is back.

Yes, thats one aspect about this that i really love despite my .... lets call it non-love for Illumination: Mario is proving right now (especially to Disney) that big screen animation is far from dead and dumping your movies on a streaming plattform may give you far less profits than releasing it in theaters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Considering I have been dog piled on by certain members here since the holidays for saying things like: A2 will have insane multi, hit 700 DOM (slightly missed the mark), AM3 will do between 1 and 2, Shazam will be an all time superhero bomb, AND Mario will destroy everything in 2023 DOM and WW….

Yeah, feeling like some really need to be listening to me a bit more at this point. 😉

Next up: Barbie wins the summer DOM IF the movie gets great reception (85% sure it will rn). 

Your problem isn't what you say, it's how you say it. Feel you need to understand that a bit more ;)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Considering I have been dog piled on by certain members here since the holidays for saying things like: A2 will have insane multi, hit 700 DOM (slightly missed the mark), AM3 will do between 1 and 2, Shazam will be an all time superhero bomb, AND Mario will destroy everything in 2023 DOM and WW….

Yeah, feeling like some really need to be listening to me a bit more at this point. 😉

Next up: Barbie wins the summer DOM IF the movie gets great reception (85% sure it will rn). 

See, you were so good til you got to that ending:)...

It's like the player who dominates high school ball and then is like "I can take Jordan/Kobe/Lebron/Curry/etc" - gotta know when to quit when you're ahead.

A few of us saw Mario's juggernaut coming...I assume most of us have kids, so we knew how big they thought this would be:)...

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Based on $200m 5 days opening, Mario alone could contribute $450m to April's gross. With other hits such as Air, DnD and Evil Dead, as well as other holdovers. There is a chance April's box office can come to $750m. A number that match pre-pandemic April (except 2018 and 2019 thanks to IW and EG).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eric is Gay for Bowser said:

Your problem isn't what you say, it's how you say it. Feel you need to understand that a bit more ;)

Have you also told this to the people who have dog piled on me in recent months for making predictions they didn’t like? Not saying you haven’t, but I’m genuinely curious. 

Natural to defend oneself in such instances. And I’ve taken the high road many times in recent months bc it’s not worth it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Anywayssss, in fairness to people who aren’t gamers here… like I did mention  before, the hype among gamers for this was absolute nuts ever since the first trailer dropped. I have quite literally never seen anything like it in that demo, and I wasn’t joking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Have you also told this to the people who have dog piled on me in recent months for making predictions they didn’t like? Not saying you haven’t, but I’m genuinely curious. 

Dude i get this discussions can get a bit excessive etc but come on now you´re not under attack and nobody is pursuing you 

This is a box office forum, people are allowed to dislike your predictions and disagreed with them whatever they want, you´re not God