Eric the Minion

THE SUPER MARIO BROS MOVIE WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

So.. with $195m 5-day opening. I just don't see any other film Beating Mario this year. It is getting a VERY good audience response and after seeing the film and really enjoying, I see kids LOVING it and Mario and Nintendo fans. this is going to have legs.

I really don't see finishing below $450m. and even has a shot at $500m imo. 

I don't see any other film hitting that mark this year. GOTG VOL 3 might do $400m or so. If The Little Mermaid were good and Disney had better goodwill from there live action remakes, it might have a shot at $400m. but I'm thinking it's not going to be very good. will probably grossing $300-$350m. there is going to be a lot of $200-$300m films this year. which hasn't happened in a while surprisingly.  

Nostaglia rules these days so if Flash is good or really good with Keatonman back as Bats that could breakout but yeah probably not 400M+. And, Indy if goood or really good, could explode too but I do worry if the stink of that last one has worn off yet? 

Be funny if something truly shocking happens Mission Impossible explodes to like 400M+... Won't happen though. Spider-Verse 2 is a big wildcard too. That could come in and just takeover if really good like the first. That first one did well in theater and then reputation only grew from there... Could see big things for it.

But, yeah, Mario likely wins the year at this point until something else breaks out. Indy (4th of July weekend) and Flash (Juneteenth weekend) have very favorable release dates this summer too. 

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Insane, people are nuts. Pixar needs an all-time masterpiece every time to do well at box office, otherwise they bomb or underperform. Laika flops very often despite consistent praise. Illumination doesn't need a masterpiece or even just good feature to do better than Pixar masterpiece, with 2.5 times lower budgets than Pixar too, truly magicians in terms of commercial appeal.

In terms of Minions yes they are. In terms of story telling. Super Mario Bros may not be a masterpiece. but it is a technical masterpiece imo. and a very very good movie. :D

20 minutes ago, XXR Metro Boomin said:

It's crazy to think but it's very likely that had Mario opened with a typical domestic release (Friday OD), it would be in the list above. 

It is deflated by fact it opened on Wednesday, at the same time its boosted by a holiday. So maybe, maybe not (?)

Fantastic numbers for Mario obviously but Air is doing great too. With strong WOM (the audience applauded at the end of my showing yesterday afternoon) and little competition in the weeks ahead, it should surpass Manchester by the Sea to become Amazon's biggest theatrical release (great choice they made ultimately to send it to theaters tbh) and could easily ride all of these positives to become the early year contender for a Best Picture nomination.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

So even with pretty horrible legs, which I don´t think happens, 1B should be in the bank?

definitely. Japan and Korea haven’t even opened yet, plus a handful of smaller territories still to come. I also don’t think legs will be terrible where it has already opened either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

it feels less subtle and deft now and they use social issues as a marketing crutch. there’s a reason half of america has a sour taste in their mouth when they hear disney and it’s the own fault of the mouse

You do realize Disney+ gained subscribers in America right? The subscriber drop was due to losing Cricket in India. The same ones on the right will grumble about it some woke crap, then forget it when their children or them wants to watch one of the movies or get another month of Disney+ or go to Disney World/Land. This whole culture war thing has no principle or spine perpetuated by the right. 

I mean Black Panther is still one of the biggest Marvel heroes. Doctor Strange 2 and Wakanda Forever are still some of the big blockbusters. Don’t forgot the very blatantly “woke” Captain Marvel, Zootopia, any Disney Princess movie circa 2013, Black Panther, Coco, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Nostaglia rules these days so if Flash is good or really good with Keatonman back as Bats that could breakout but yeah probably not 400M+. And, Indy if goood or really good, could explode too but I do worry if the stink of that last one has worn off yet? 

Be funny if something truly shocking happens Mission Impossible explodes to like 400M+... Won't happen though. Spider-Verse 2 is a big wildcard too. That could come in and just takeover if really good like the first. That first one did well in theater and then reputation only grew from there... Could see big things for it.

But, yeah, Mario likely wins the year at this point until something else breaks out. Indy (4th of July weekend) and Flash (Juneteenth weekend) have very favorable release dates this summer too. 

There is too much controversy and baggage from the flash and DC films. to hit $400m+ imo. if it didn't have all that then I would agree with you. if it's really good it might have a shot at $300m or so. but that waits to be seen. 

I do think Mission Impossible will have a bump thanks to Top Gun. but the highest grossing film in the series was MI7 with $220m. Don't think it can get over $300-$350m.

Spider-Verse will do well the last film was beloved. still don't see more than about a $100m jump though butting it around $300m.

As For Indy, it would have to be really good to get those numbers imo. I don't think it will but it is a possibility I guess.

7 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

it feels less subtle and deft now and they use social issues as a marketing crutch. there’s a reason half of america has a sour taste in their mouth when they hear disney and it’s the own fault of the mouse

They have a sour taste because they watch Tucker Carlson.

Half these people think Trump won. Why shoIuld Disney make the straight white male content they want? Straight white males are only 25% of the population and a smaller share of the target audience.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Be funny if something truly shocking happens Mission Impossible explodes to like 400M+...

I have genuinely been wondering if this is a possibility. Fallout made very nearly $800 million worldwide in 2018. And it feels like Tom Cruise has become an action brand in himself that has reached a new peak after Maverick.

Is it possible that Maverick good will could draw in more than the usual suspects for Dead Reckoning, leading to $1B+ at the box office? I don’t think it’s entirely outlandish, if perhaps unlikely.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

There is absolutely nothing subtle about Zootopia. Nothing. That was a huge hit and legged it out enormously.

• Like 6
  • Heart 1

18 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

Half of America ? I really wouldn't come to too many conclusions based on social media. You'd think all the Republicans in US would ban gay marriage if you look at social media but reality is almost 50%+ of Republicans support issues like gay marriage these days based on pretty much any survey data. The effect of these ' Go woke go broke ' thing is at max 10-15%... it's just not more than that. They are a loud minority...every week you see some new company being cancelled by this bunch but those companies still do thrive despite being cancelled by this loud minority 

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1