BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

If Mario makes ~$110M for this second week, and has Jungle Book legs from then on, would finish at ~$585M 

I’m just having a difficult time seeing a real push for $600M here (but ask me again if next weekend tops $60M)

Edited by M37
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Planning to see the Crowe exorcise some demons this Tuesday. I did see Renfield on Friday night... It has a few moments but honestly I thought it was a pretty big mess. Wasn't nearly as fun as I hoped. Lotta good talent worked on that project too. Left me pretty flat.

Wait til you see Pope’s Exorcist then lol. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Wait til you see Pope’s Exorcist then lol. 

Oh, I'm not expecting much. If Crowe acts anything like he does in the trailers throughout the movie, it'll entertain me more than Renfield though. Maybe for the wrong reasons but still... Has a nice Vatican Has Fallen vibe with him as the overly serious lead instead of Gerard Butler in his Has Fallen series. That alone is a fun hook for me. Crowe has a better presence than anyone in Renfield too... At least for me, so he'll keep me engaged. I had a big smile most of Unhinged watching him chew up the scenery even if the move wasn't the greatest. Hoping it's the same case for me when I see Pope's Exorcist.

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly all I truly care about with Mario at this point is if it can dethrone TLK remake WW. I can’t stand that travesty getting brought up as highest grossing “animated” film ever, and me wanting to scream from the rooftop that if that’s animation then so are the Avatar movies, and A1 is the highest grossing “animated” movie. 

This is one of the weirdest logic around. How can you call avatar an "animated" movie when you have humans interacting in the same movie.. With that logic, all movies using vfx are animated right??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Firepower said:

So with Mario and The Last of Us we are gonna see a new craze of video-game adaptations? Such a shame Netflix is doing Bioshock, now it doesn't have a chance to be good unless some very random miracle happens.

We've had a lot of video game adaptions for a long while though, no? I think we're more like to see a Crash Bandicoot movie made similarly to Mario so that it appeals to all four quadrants. Maybe some others like that too but I'm not sure that there are many characters as popular with everyone as Mario, Sonic and Crash. Sonic already just did it's thing... Little late for a course correct there. Mario probably hitting it's Jurassic World/Force Awakens peak here, so likely none of the ones that come after will gross as much because they'll lose the novelty.

This is box office of site so not sure how Last of Us would cinematically as it's very much a series and not a movie. I don't know what the plan is for Bioshock... Movie or series?

We've actually seen a TON of video game movies over the past decade... Since 2010 or so we've had wide releases for Sonic, Uncharted, Mortal Kombat, Pokemon, Rampage, Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Warcraft, Need for Speed, Silent Hill, Prince of Persia, Max Payne movies. 

I do not think Mario being huge means all of the sudden video game movies will be big successes. Mario is a HUGE brand. And, very easily made into a family film and, more so, a sugar rush for children... All this does is maximize admissions. I think Sonic if they course correct and make it like Mario could be like this... I think Crash can be like this too... Though, of course, neither close to as big as Mario.

I don't believe any of the others can be like this... None of them have even close to brand awareness across people aged 6 to 86 like Mario does. Not close.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Gitesh missed out TLJ which definitely did nearly 80 million second weekend. 

Edit - as has been pointed out, I forgot TLJ was 2017 for no apparent reason. 

Edited by wildphantom