BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

It will be ironic and oh so sweet in a sadistic frustrating way if @MovieMan89 misses the 90m mark by like fractions.... Mario decisively held way better than I anticipated on Tuesday and I gladly take the wrong on that (not like I expected that stupid 58m - still cant fathom what caused that stupidity.) Being wrong on an already great 75m expectation is amazing and one of the great things about box office surprises. 

Would love to see it top the 600m mark as well, now to hold my breath (I'll take the under if I need to.) 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

We all know the main reason Mario is doing so well.

Fiv05z0X0AAmsKx?format=jpg

Old movie was so BAD, people had to watch the new Mario to wash the bad taste out of their mouths. New Mario is a masterpiece in comparison.

Edited by Mojoguy

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

We all know the main reason Mario is doing so well.

Fiv05z0X0AAmsKx?format=jpg

Old movie was so BAD, people had to watch the new Mario to wash bad taste out of mouth. New Mario is a masterpiece in comparison.

I can’t believe there was one critic who actually said they would rather watch this atrocity again instead. The new Mario movie is no Best Picture but unlike this garbage from 1993 I can at least be proud to say Mario has a movie now.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think its going even higher than earlier prediction. Sunday's are slightly harder as I feel ratios will be higher. But the hold is crazy strong. I am thinking 28.5+ now. 

That would put us above $90m, wouldn't it? :ohmygod:

21 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think its going even higher than earlier prediction. Sunday's are slightly harder as I feel ratios will be higher. But the hold is crazy strong. I am thinking 28.5+ now. 

Aaaaand just like that $90M and BatB 2nd weekend are in play!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Bonkers.

5 hours ago, screambaby said:

Scream 6 and creed 3 did better then decent and both were missing the main character 

Is it any surprise that the two films that released earliet did "better" than the films that released later when the marketplace became more crowded?

3 hours ago, JayPrimetown said:

Is it any surprise that the two films that released earliet did "better" than the films that released later when the marketplace became more crowded?

It sucks being the middle released movie - best to be at the front or the back, unless you're already the king...

It also sucks if 2 blockbusters give GA $5 PLF tickets, so the GA gets their fill of decent blockbusters in one month (since they don't go to movies every week)...and you didn't give the GA that option...

6 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Critics keep on taking Ls

Yes... All those Ls... Except the only movie that was overwhelming panned since the pandemic shut everything down a few years ago that did very well at the box office domestically is Jurassic World Dominion. The only other movie since then to gross 200M+ DOM with a sub 50% RT is Ant-Man Quantumania. Everything else was received with a mixed, mixed to positive or outright positive reception. 

2021 - 

Spider-man No Way Home 93% RT 805M DOM

Shang Chi 91% RT 225M DOM

Venom Let There Be Carnage 57% RT 213M DOM

2022 - 

Top Gun Maverick 96% RT 719M DOM

Avatar Way of Water 76% RT 683M DOM

Black Panther Wakanda Forever 84% RT 454M DOM

Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness 74% RT 411M DOM

Jurassic World Dominion 29% RT 377M DOM

Minions Rise of Gru 70% RT 370M DOM

The Batman 85% RT 369M DOM

Thor Love and Thunder 63% RT 343 DOM

Puss in Boots Last Wish 95% RT 185M DOM

2023 - 

Super Mario Bros. 58% RT 350M+ DOM (still in theaters)

Ant-Man Quantumania 47% RT 213M DOM (still in theaters)

John Wick Chapter 4 94% RT 160M+ DOM (still in theaters)

Creed 3 89% RT 155M+ DOM (still in theaters)

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 8