BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

If I'm not mistaken, the numbers kayumanggi show were predictions.

Currently, the box office (at 13th April) of DnD is this:

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES 

Budget: 150 million

Domestic: $66.7 million

Overseas: $61.8 million

I'm not totally sure DnD could really reach $90 million at domestic level, since predictions for this weekend are less than 7 million

So basically even with optimistic/average predictions it will still be losing more money than Shazam with a good chance it looses significantly more than Shazam due to its budget. 

Thats really such a shame, but It seems like it will be the biggest bomb of the year, not sure what else i could expect to do worse that's coming out this year

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it hits 22 me thinks my over BatB 2nd weekend is happening. Really no reason for it not to have a stronger sat hold since it’s more kid targeted than that, which had a heavy YA demo. 

I see it like this:

$19M Friday = $70M weekend

$20M Friday = $75M weekend

$21M Friday = $80M weekend

$22M Friday = $85M weekend

To get to $90M (which would be historic; no animated film has ever had a second weekend that big), at least $22.5M Friday is necessary. The math just doesn’t work otherwise. The Sunday hold will be better than last week but it will still be a fairly steep drop, anything under 30% would be amazing. Saturday increase will probably be 65% while 75% would be fantastic.

5 minutes ago, superduperm said:

I see it like this:

$19M Friday = $70M weekend

$20M Friday = $75M weekend

$21M Friday = $80M weekend

$22M Friday = $85M weekend

To get to $90M (which would be historic; no animated film has ever had a second weekend that big), at least $22.5M Friday is necessary. The math just doesn’t work otherwise. The Sunday hold will be better than last week but it will still be a fairly steep drop, anything under 30% would be amazing. Saturday increase will probably be 65% while 75% would be fantastic.

Do we know why BatB dropped so little it’s 2nd Sunday? It wasn’t a holiday?

At any rate, here’s a trajectory to over BatB I can see with 22.5. Agree that prob can’t happen wo Friday being at least that. 

7 hours ago, wildphantom said:

looks like a mistake and the movie lost more like $200 million to me. The theatrical revenue should be more like sub $40 million. 

It looks like Deadline updated the theatrical revenue to $35 million but not the rest of the total so far. Corrected total should be $120 million total revenue vs total expense of $317.4 million for a net loss of $197.4 million. Not accounting for inflation, Strange World is probably the biggest bomb of all-time.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

It looks like Deadline updated the theatrical revenue to $35 million but not the rest of the total so far. Corrected total should be $120 million total revenue vs total expense of $317.4 million for a net loss of $197.4 million. Not accounting for inflation, Strange World is probably the biggest bomb of all-time.

I have a hard time believing in the marketing spend though. Still the biggest flop of last year for sure. Don’t usually see more than one animation film on that list. But Disney had both Strange World and Lightyear in the top 5 biggest financial bombs of 2022. 

And I’ve noticed in the deadline articles this year things like “the $100m Disney paid itself to put it on Disney+” lol stop. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AGlitchGnome said:

Thats really such a shame, but It seems like it will be the biggest bomb of the year, not sure what else i could expect to do worse that's coming out this year

Sounds like a challenge for The Flash

AmpleLegalCur-size_restricted.gif

😛 I srsly don't have the faintest clue on how this film will perform lol

With these early estimates on Mario, some interesting context is that Quantamanias true FSS opening weekend figure was $88.6. Mario isn't likely going to beat that, but it's going to be pretty close, and when you factor in that with matinees and kid pricing, that actual admissions for Mario this weekend might be better than it was for Antman opening.

8 hours ago, YM! said:

Who here is genuinely predicting the demise of Pixar because they don’t have high expectations for Elemental?

I can think of a few people who are doom mongering. 

That mid June slot has had a Pixar film for quite some time, the minute they move out of summer then they lose it to the competition and it becomes a lot harder to get it back. Likewise with WDAS and November.