Eric S'ennui

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

20 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

A whole slew of stars donated $1m to the SAG-AFTRA Fund. Good for them!

Did these people donate 1M total or 1M each?

George and Amal Clooney
Luciana and Matt Damon
Hugh Jackman and Deborra-lee Furness
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck
Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Did these people donate 1M total or 1M each?

George and Amal Clooney
Luciana and Matt Damon
Hugh Jackman and Deborra-lee Furness
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck
Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively

it has to be one million each from pair rather than individuals. But overall they are saying 15m from 12 top donors. Its not trivial for sure. 

• Like 3

I have a weird question, do actors that are part of SAG have to join Equity or another local union if they do a non SAG production? I notice that Antonio Banderas and Rachel Zegler are in Paddington in Peru so I assume they can work on that since it's a British film funded by a French film studio.

Edited by Jonwo

Studiocanal is not a member of AMPTP so presumably actors could continue working on that movie provided they approve of the compensation terms. I think they would still need a waiver though just to prevent potential conflicts. Zegler did leave the production to picket, and I think it's evident that personal feelings play a role here as much as official strike terms.

Edited by AniNate

26 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Studiocanal is not a member of AMPTP so presumably actors could continue working on that movie provided they approve of the compensation terms. I think they would still need a waiver though just to prevent potential conflicts. Zegler did leave the production to picket, and I think it's evident that personal feelings play a role here as much as official strike terms.

I would assume Studiocanal have allowed her to leave the production temporarily because SAG and British Equity has stressed that under UK law, an actor would have no protection if they decide to strike. I would imagine they can work around her given the cast is majority British so can work under Equity contracts. Banderas I'm not 100% sure on given he's Spanish.

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I would assume Studiocanal have allowed her to leave the production temporarily because SAG and British Equity has stressed that under UK law, an actor would have no protection if they decide to strike. I would imagine they can work around her given the cast is majority British so can work under Equity contracts. Banderas I'm not 100% sure on given he's Spanish.

Banderas is SAG. 

But it's all down to whether the production falls under the SAG contract or not. I suspect it doesn't since it's an Euro producer.

13 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Banderas is SAG. 

But it's all down to whether the production falls under the SAG contract or not. I suspect it doesn't since it's an Euro producer.

Exactly. It's mainly about the production falling under SAG or Equity contract.

The cast will be working under that guild contract, so they will need to follow its rules.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, Jonwo said:

I am getting the feeling Kraven must be pretty awful to be pushed back 10 months and I suspect Sony needed a reason to delay and retool and the strikes were the perfect excuse. 

They put "Madame Web" pretty much in Kraven's place....I  tremble to think how bad Madame Web must be.

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

I have a feeling SAG is going to get all their major demands met ( ai and residuals)

They have a secert weapon; For most actors, nless you have a name, you are used to being unemployed and having to take other jobs to make ends meet.  There are always too many actors and too few jobs. So being out for a couple months without a acting pyached is eomthing they are used to.

• Like 3