Eric Lasagna

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 hours ago, Sckathian said:

All their big acquisitions have been disasters. Not sure what they have actually done with FOX other then see it’s output collapse. Likewise Lucas am still convinced I’d struggling to make a return. Not to mention the success of his ‘hand picked’ successor.

Disney need to get someone like Zaslav in to just tear it apart. 

The acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm have all been disasters? Certainly not financial ones.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

The acquisitions of Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm have all been disasters? Certainly not financial ones.

Pixar has more than paid for itself just from Cars merch alone, likewise with Marvel. Fox will take a while to be profitable but it will in time.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So far the following fall movies have been delayed to 2024 (not counting stuff like Poor Things which changed their dates but are staying in this year):

Challengers

Drive-Away Dolls

Kraven the Hunter

Dune: Part Two

Ghostbusters

Will these be the last delays? Maybe, maybe not.

I dunno about everyone else but from where I'm sitting, it appears as if they actually do need flesh and blood actors more than they need CGI ones.

In the case of Ghostbusters, the December date was always a bit tight and Kraven's massive delay suggests Sony wants to do reshoots to salvage it and the strikes gave them the perfect reason. 

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In the case of Ghostbusters, the December date was always a bit tight and Kraven's massive delay suggests Sony wants to do reshoots to salvage it and the strikes gave them the perfect reason. 

It's also possible Kraven is a turd that and they're sending it to die on Labor Day weekend instead of wanting to get it over with the minute the strikes end (like Dune seems to be doing with the March release date).

Meanwhile, in Deadline's article about the Dune delay, this seems to be why WB isn't touching the December trio:

Meanwhile, despite the rumors out there about Warner Bros further shaking up its December release calendar due to the strike, the studio’s current holiday tentpoles of Wonka (December 15), DC’s Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (December 20) and The Color Purple (December 25) will stick to their dates, even if the SAG-AFTRA strike still is lingering. Suspicions abounded when there wasn’t a trailer this summer for James Wan’s Aquaman 2 tagged to the theatrical release of Warner’s Barbie. Warners has heard from exhibition loud and clear that it needs these movies like air after the 2020-21 Covid closure. Theater circuits be working aggressively with the Burbank lot on promoting these pics on their social media channels, and to their loyalty club members.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's also possible Kraven is a turd that and they're sending it to die on Labor Day weekend instead of wanting to get it over with the minute the strikes end (like Dune seems to be doing with the March release date).

Meanwhile, in Deadline's article about the Dune delay, this seems to be why WB isn't touching the December trio:

I think had Kraven been delayed to February, it would be seen as a strike delay but a 10 months delay is giving me turd vibes. 

I still don't know why Lionsgate keeps delaying White Bird, that movie was completed in 2021, no amount of publicity from either Helen Mirren or Gillian Anderson is going to save that film.

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think had Kraven been delayed to February, it would be seen as a strike delay but a 10 months delay is giving me turd vibes. 

I still don't know why Lionsgate keeps delaying White Bird, that movie was completed in 2021, no amount of publicity from either Helen Mirren or Gillian Anderson is going to save that film.

They'll probably dump it in early December since they now have it as Q3.

9 hours ago, Sckathian said:

All their big acquisitions have been disasters. Not sure what they have actually done with FOX other then see it’s output collapse. Likewise Lucas am still convinced I’d struggling to make a return. Not to mention the success of his ‘hand picked’ successor.

Disney need to get someone like Zaslav in to just tear it apart. 

Lucas paid itself off a long time ago with just the release and merchandising sales of TFA lol

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 21C said:

Lucas paid itself off a long time ago with just the release and merchandising sales of TFA lol

The brand synergy from Star Wars is a moneymaker in itself with merch, licensing and the various attractions at the theme parks not to mention owning ILM as well so they've been earning money from it since they acquired it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Every studio would kill for a disaster like those.

Fox might be a bit more questionable.....Disney might have overpaid for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The brand synergy from Star Wars is a moneymaker in itself with merch, licensing and the various attractions at the theme parks not to mention owning ILM as well so they've been earning money from it since they acquired it. 

And Marvel has been even more profitible.

The guy who said Iger's acquistions were a disaster does not know what the hell he is talking about.

Of them the only one I say might be questionable is Fox, and even that might work out in the end. I do think they need to use the Fox stuff...certainly they need to set up a Fox section of Disney Plus, like they have for Marvel, Pixar, NatGeo, etc.