Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Given how a big deal was that streamers weren't giving any actual numbers beyond incredibly vague watch minute shit...this seems notable? I can't find a similar kind of announcement from Disney for even stuff like Mandalorian

kinda think it was released to stop the bullshit Samba TV* narrative about Ahsoka's first viewing numbers in its tracks. 

* Once again, Samba TV is many things, but "reliable and consistent" are not the two first words that come to mind.

Hard to directly comment on it otherwise though as Disney hasn't done this much, if ever, before and the numbers that aren't from Disney that I do have are all US Nielsen based. 

As for the strikes, I think the main problem would be cherry picking here.   Good we have some sort of idea how Ahsoka did its first week.  Not as good that we don't have any sort of yardstick to measure it against.  And doubleplusungood that studios are only releasing this info when it suits them

(or, good for them for releasing it — now do more of it; A LOT MORE) 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

kinda think it was released to stop the bullshit Samba TV* narrative about Ahsoka's first viewing numbers in its tracks. 

* Once again, Samba TV is many things, but "reliable and consistent" are not the two first words that come to mind.

Hard to directly comment on it otherwise though as Disney hasn't done this much, if ever, before and the numbers that aren't from Disney that I do have are all US Nielsen based. 

As for the strikes, I think the main problem would be cherry picking here.   Good we have some sort of idea how Ahsoka did its first week.  Not as good that we don't have any sort of yardstick to measure it against.  And doubleplusungood that studios are only releasing this info when it suits them

(or, good for them for releasing it — now do more of it; A LOT MORE) 

14m views worldwide in the first week. So if it got 14m views worldwide, then what would be its US viewership? 7m?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

14m views worldwide in the first week. So if it got 14m views worldwide, then what would be its US viewership? 7m?

Honestly not gonna speculate since it is likely different methodologies at play (direct source vs sampling), plus I don't know the timing window.

Ask me again in a little more than three weeks. :)

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It doesn't say what period the 14 million views is over if you actually read the article 

Lucasfilm and The Walt Disney Company are thrilled and humbled to announce that Part One of Ahsoka, "Master and Apprentice," was the most-watched title on Disney+ this past week

We can either assume the past week here means Tuesday 9 PM to Sunday 11.59 PM (5 days and 3 hours), or we can assume the past week means 7 days(Tuesday 22nd 9 PM to Tuesday 29th 9PM)

Edited by Willowra

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Disney absolutely stands the most to lose with this strike dragging on. Their public rep is hanging by a thread as it is right now. 

I’ve even had very casual/non-entertainment junkie people I know who I would never expect to have any awareness of a movie studio’s financial struggles bring things up to me like “Disney isn’t doing very well right now, are they?” Public perception is grimmmm

Doesn't mean they'll be doomed forever or in any danger of shutting down. Give it a year or so and everyone will have forgotten about this moment. 

14 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Lucasfilm and The Walt Disney Company are thrilled and humbled to announce that Part One of Ahsoka, "Master and Apprentice," was the most-watched title on Disney+ this past week

We can either assume the past week here means Tuesday 9 PM to Sunday 11.59 PM (5 days and 3 hours), or we can assume the past week means 7 days(Tuesday 22nd 9 PM to Tuesday 29th 9PM)

Did you notice that that still doesnt say the week was what the 14 million was measured from? It's deliberately vague about it on purpose.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Did you notice that that still doesnt say the week was what the 14 million was measured from? It's deliberately vague about it on purpose.

Well, it's also views and not households/subscribers...so no idea of repeat views, as one example.

And views does not say whether complete or 2 minutes long.

Data will only be so good when companies release so little of it...

Edited by TwoMisfits

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Its obvious that the week would have been measured from either Monday to Sunday (7 days) or from Tuesday to Sunday (5 days, 3 hours) or from Tuesday to Tuesday (7 days); the only thing vague here is whether the past week means 5 days or 7 days.

lol this would totally make sense. I feel like that special Glass Onion run last year and how successful it was (by all accounts, they unsurprisingly didn't report concrete numbers) made everyone realize even more how much Netflix loves keeping their ambiguity and hates movie theaters.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

So take this for what you will, but I talked to a studio insider, and they very much believe AI will be able to write screenplays, and they have no need for writers. Now this is bullshit because AI lacks creativity, but the insider felt otherwise. I feel this is the thinking of many studio heads. Until studio heads realize ChatGPT can't write good screenplays, the WGA strike at least has no end in sight. Also, the insider told me they are calling it Machine Learing now because of the connotation calling it AI has. I mean, most people know machine learning and AI are the same, but whatever.

At they very least this particular studio believes AI can do more than it actually can. Anyway, I won't say names, but I can tell you the studio isn't Netflix.

Edited by CloneWars

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

So take this for what you will, but I talked to a studio insider, and they very much believe AI will be able to write screenplays, and they have no need for writers. Now this is bullshit because AI lacks creativity, but the insider felt otherwise. I feel this is the thinking of many studio heads. Until studio heads realize ChatGPT can't write good screenplays, the WGA strike at least has no end in sight. Also, the insider told me they are calling it Machine Learing now because of the connotation calling it AI has. I mean, most people know machine learning and AI are the same, but whatever.

Anyway, at they very least this particular studio believes AI csn do more than it actually. Anyway, I won't say names, but I can tell you the studio isn't Netflix.

It’s not just one studio, pretty sure they’re all diving into that. I heard similar things thru a member of my guild (through his chats with studio execs he’s worked with before). It’s not that they expect AI to be “good enough” (yet), but their plan is to use it to generate a draft that they can then pay a single writer to rewrite (less fees to the writer, and way less writers employed overall).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s not just one studio, pretty sure they’re all diving into that. I heard similar things thru a member of my guild (through his chats with studio execs he’s worked with before). It’s not that they expect AI to be “good enough” (yet), but their plan is to use it to generate a draft that they can then pay a single writer to rewrite (less fees to the writer, and way less writers employed overall).

I see where they're coming from, but AI has zero imagination. All they will get is boiler plate scripts, and that may work for say children's television, but you aren't going to get anything remotely creative. 

Edited by CloneWars