Eric Prime

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

15 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Stranger Things final season is screwed for sure. There is no way the actors can pull off as "kids". Already they were looking way too old for what they were portraying in previous season. Would Netflix do something controversial like recast again for final season !!!

This and Euphoria. It takes the latter 9 MONTHS to film a single season

19 minutes ago, JWR said:

They still ultimately had to make a deal instead of waiting for the WGA to get burned out. And they ended up paying more than they would have in the original deal.

AMPTP definitely had to compromise. After all, their real wish was to give the WGA nothing.

The point is that extending the strike may not have worked as AMPTP would have wanted, but it likely had an effect in the WGA reducing their demands.

That's likely what AMPTP want this time with the SAG..

Edited by Kon

3 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

This and Euphoria. It takes the latter 9 MONTHS to film a single season

I read rumors that both series will have a timeskip for their next season. So, it could work that way.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, JWR said:

They still ultimately had to make a deal instead of waiting for the WGA to get burned out. And they ended up paying more than they would have in the original deal.

And yet paid far less than what the WGA wanted when they began the strike, so in that sense it did work for them as the wga accepted concessions and agreed to lower payment amounts than what they wanted originally 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Except that's not how the process works. They greenlight new pilots in the fall, shoot them in the spring and make pickup and cancellation decisions in May. So if they can't order pilots now, then everything gets pushed back.

Greenlighting pilots can be done now since the writers are no longer on strike as well as January. The other alternative is straight to series which also can be done now as well.

I do think there is a massive amount of hyperbole regarding the SAG strike and like the WGA strike, tempers on social media need to be cooled down. 

On 10/12/2023 at 3:19 PM, darkangelfire said:

And yet paid far less than what the WGA wanted when they began the strike, so in that sense it did work for them as the wga accepted concessions and agreed to lower payment amounts than what they wanted originally 

You always want to make your demands higher at first than what you realistically expect, so you can negotiate down to it and have both sides come out feeling good about it. The new deal was ratified with 99% member approval, so they clearly got pretty close to what they were actually looking for.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

You always want to make your demands higher at first than what you realistically expect, so you can negotiate down to it and have both sides come out feeling good about it. The new deal was ratified with 99% member approval, so they clearly got pretty close to what they were actually looking for.

The revenue sharing by SAG is not going to happen because I suspect it would mean others would demand it and end up being too costly

Man, the way some of y'all are acting, you'd think the writers got run roughshod by the AMPTP.

Folks, lemme tell you something... One never gets "all they asked for". 

NE-VER.

Of course the WGA "compromised" off their initial asks.

What do you think negotiations are?!?  Give and take, get some lose some.  Ask for 3x, settle for 2x (or various other things like that — don't take exact formula as gospel).

Now maybe the AMPTP did win more than they thought. I really really doubt it though. But I do know how the rank and file of the IATSE acted after their near-strike a couple of years ago and how the rank and file of the WGA acted just a few days ago, and the difference is night and day.

One doesn't get nearly a 99% ratification vote if a group isn't pretty damned thrilled with how it all turned out.  In the end, that speaks more than anything else.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Man, the way some of y'all are acting, you'd think the writers got run roughshod by the AMPTP.

Folks, lemme tell you something... One never gets "all they asked for". 

NE-VER.

Of course the WGA "compromised" off their initial asks.

What do you think negotiations are?!?  Give and take, get some lose some.  Ask for 3x, settle for 2x (or various other things like that — don't take exact formula as gospel).

Now maybe the AMPTP did win more than they thought. I really really doubt it though. But I do know how the rank and file of the IATSE acted after their near-strike a couple of years ago and how the rank and file of the WGA acted just a few days ago, and the difference is night and day.

One doesn't get nearly a 99% ratification vote if a group isn't pretty damned thrilled with how it all turned out.  In the end, that speaks more than anything else.

If anything it could just speak that most of them are desperate and running out of money, look I am glad the wga got a deal their happy with.

But I am also sick of the takes that wow the wga really got one over on the amptp and took them for all their worth now their just going to accept everyone of sags demands, because their not.

Falas optimism I just feel leads to more disappointment, we just need a reality check that this is going to take a long time.

Their was so much optimism a week ago when people said oh nwo that the WGA deal is done it will take two or three days to get sag done.

And I always said your looking at in my estimation at least teo months of further negotiations, to get them to pay the sag a flat fee for every subscriber regardless of value of the international currency is a massive ask and if they are serious about it I see the strike lasting until 2024.

33 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

If anything it could just speak that most of them are desperate and running out of money,

Except you wouldn't get a 99% approval rate in that case.  No way, no how.  Not with all of the rabble rousers who would think that if they've fought this long, fight longer to make it worth the sacrifice. 

33 minutes ago, darkangelfire said:

But I am also sick of the takes that wow the wga really got one over on the amptp and took them for all their worth now their just going to accept everyone of sags demands, because their not.

Sometimes the "takes one are sick of" have the inconvenient reality of being partially or even mostly true.  In fact that's often the case of the most annoying takes!

While the final analysis is yet to be written I would say on balance that the WGA got faaaaaar more of what they wanted than did the AMPTP. 

As for

now their just going to accept everyone of sags demands, because their not.

One really ought to just ignore cheerleaders. But even if one can't, folks like me and @Cmasterclay were cautioning that what SAG wanted and what the WGA wanted weren't the same and that it might very well take time to sort out even without a blowup or three.  If only coz of lots of complicated things that were different complicated things that either the DGA or WGA wanted/got.

So, yes.  Some folks here were a bit too rah-rah siss-boom-bah and expected everything to be over immediately.  To be expected.  On the other hand, they're nicely (or "nicely", IMO) balanced by all of the Eeyores who think this'll last 'till well into next spring.

There's also something to be said about the AMPTP drawing a bit of a firmer line in the sand here if they did think they got (relatively) rolled by the WGA as they probably wouldn't want to happen again in SAG negotiations.  If they think they gave up "too much" (in their minds) to the WGA they might be on their guard for it not to happen again.

Either way, undeniable hiccup right now.  Could last months.  Could last weeks.  Or could last days.

But, as I am sure folks are sick and tired of me reminding of, as Tele's Law States: NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING.

Keeping that first and foremost in your mind goes a long way to making all of this more tolerable to navigate.

Well, as long as one doesn't have skin in the game.  For folks like Tele and all of the other folks who do have skin in the game here on this board and are directly or indirectly impacted by these strikes, it's not quite as comforting, I imagine (❤️ out to all of y'alls suffering through all of this)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I think optimism is a better mindset in general even if you end up wrong. So it didn't go as quickly as we hoped. I'm slightly disappointed, but they will just try again later.

I often like to say, "I'd rather be an optimist and proven wrong than a pessimist and proven right."*

Why?  Well, I tend to be happier for longer, mostly. When/if 'I'm proven wrong", I'll be down for a short while.  But then I'll get over it.  But while I'm optimistic I tend to be happier.  Better for my mental health in the long run, really.

* Keen eyed readers might notice a paraphrase/rework of semi-famous line from The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy*

** Does the second half of that semi-famous line also apply?***

*** Ain't tellin'. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Except you wouldn't get a 99% approval rate in that case.  No way, no how.  Not with all of the rabble rousers who would think that if they've fought this long, fight longer to make it worth the sacrifice. 

Sometimes the "takes one are sick of" have the inconvenient reality of being partially or even mostly true.  In fact that's often the case of the most annoying takes!

While the final analysis is yet to be written I would say on balance that the WGA got faaaaaar more of what they wanted than did the AMPTP. 

As for

One really ought to just ignore cheerleaders. But even if one can't, folks like me and @Cmasterclay were cautioning that what SAG wanted and what the WGA wanted weren't the same and that it might very well take time to sort out even without a blowup or three.  If only coz of lots of complicated things that were different complicated things that either the DGA or WGA wanted/got.

So, yes.  Some folks here were a bit too rah-rah siss-boom-bah and expected everything to be over immediately.  To be expected.  On the other hand, they're nicely (or "nicely", IMO) balanced by all of the Eeyores who think this'll last 'till well into next spring.

There's also something to be said about the AMPTP drawing a bit of a firmer line in the sand here if they did think they got (relatively) rolled by the WGA as they probably wouldn't want to happen again in SAG negotiations.  If they think they gave up "too much" (in their minds) to the WGA they might be on their guard for it not to happen again.

Either way, undeniable hiccup right now.  Could last months.  Could last weeks.  Or could last days.

But, as I am sure folks are sick and tired of me reminding of, as Tele's Law States: NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING.

Keeping that first and foremost in your mind goes a long way to making all of this more tolerable to navigate.

Well, as long as one doesn't have skin in the game.  For folks like Tele and all of the other folks who do have skin in the game here on this board and are directly or indirectly impacted by these strikes, it's not quite as comforting, I imagine (❤️ out to all of y'alls suffering through all of this)

It's a great thing that your here @Porthos. I'll be honest I'm getting annoyed with people panicking every single time a bad day has happened during the duel strikes. 

Yes it is frustrating seeing the studios drag this out. But it's insanity to think this ends in 2024.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Reddroast said:

It's a great thing that your here @Porthos. I'll be honest I'm getting annoyed with people panicking every single time a bad day has happened during the duel strikes. 

Yes it is frustrating seeing the studios drag this out. But it's insanity to think this ends in 2024.

It is kinda ironic, mind, as I was the Resident Board Pessimist when it came to these strikes way back in May!  

Still, if everything goes to shit, I can see this dragging out to late Jan or so.  But I said "Spring 2024" for a reason, as I have a very hard time seeing this lasting too much past Jan next year.

In fact, only real reason I might see Jan as a later term time is coz Hollywood will probably all but shut down in most of December anyway.  So if the "natural" trajectory of a longer, more acrimonious, strike was to be settled in two months from now as opposed to two weeks from now, I can see a month or so delay thanks to the holidays.

But March or April or May of 2024?

Let's just say I am... skeptical it lasts nearly that long and leave it at that.

Edited by Porthos