Eric Quinn

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

I can't imagine the strike lasting to October. If SAG joins on the strike there's no way in hell the strike lasts longer then a month more. 

How would Sneider know how long would it last? He's just speculating

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Buckle up, because we have a long 6 months ahead of us. I don't see how this strike ends before next year. I really don't. Between Indiana Jones 5 flopping and the SAG joining the strike, this weekend is going to be one to remember. And not for any pleasant reasons. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some of these Thanksgiving and Christmas tentpoles set for this year be pushed to next year, just so studios can have something to release then.

SAG won't strike until they are given the authorization to do so (which won't be until it's 100% certain a deal won't be made).

Speaking of which...

2 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

The last time there was a strike it lasted about 6-7 months but that was just the writers striking. If SAG joins them that is going to absolutely speed up the process to a resolution.

The last writers’ strike lasted 100 days, not 6-7 months. 

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

SAG won't strike until they are given the authorization to do so (which won't be until it's 100% certain a deal won't be made).

The strike authorization has already been approved. You’re right that it won’t formally happen until 12:01 July 1 at the earliest (and if they’re very close to a potential deal they might agree to a slight delay).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The strike authorization has already been approved. You’re right that it won’t formally happen until 12:01 July 1 at the earliest (and if they’re very close to a potential deal they might agree to a slight delay).

That's what I meant :lol:.

I suspect, if talks are close, a delay on final decisions is inevitable regardless since we're coming up on a long holiday weekend where folks will just want to enjoy their time off.

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

And a counterpoint…

Between the two points, I have to say I lean more toward this one.  I know I've brought it up before, but this whole situation really does remind me of labor strife in various sports leagues.  But in those instances, there's usually two or three "camps" on the owner side and what they want/expect to get is usually fairly transparent. 

Here though, you have a whole raft of camps whose goals are much more opaque.  Or rather goals beyond short term "divide and conquer the Hollywood Guilds" are pretty opaque.  I don't doubt that some corps would take advantage of an opportunity to get out of what they now see as onerous contracts.  But I tend to think that's more of a silver lining/take advantage of a situation than an out and out goal/prime motivator for lack of talks right now.

Not to go all Occam's Razor on all of this, but I personally haven't expected any movement on public WGA/AMPTP discussions until we know whether there really is a SAG-AFTRA strike or not.   Even if the AMPTP is optimistic about avoiding an actors strike, it just seems to me that they'd want to wait until that is settled one way or the other in case they think they can use that to pressure the WGA into taking an inferior deal.

That they are very likely misreading the solidarity/commitment of the members of the WGA is mostly besides the point.  All this requires is for the AMPTP to think they can put more pressure on the WGA once they get the SAG deal squared away.

Of course, this is somewhat high risk because if they don't get a SAG contract squared away, then it's pretty close to Armageddon Time in Hollywood

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

He followed this up with this brilliant insight

What an amazing inside scoop, either they will have a strike this week...or they won't.

Before this I thought they would have half a strike.  I can now rest easy knowing that will not happen.  Or it will happen.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

He followed this up with this brilliant insight

What an amazing inside scoop, either they will have a strike this week...or they won't.

He is trying to sound like he had some inside source when clearly he does not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really see how that's news since the strike was already authorized anyways.

It's called when you have some of the most respcted actors in the business saying they will strike it's a way of shoing the studios you are very serious about walking out. it's part of the PR campaing both sides are waging.

Edited by dudalb

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It's called when you have some of the most respcted actors in the business saying they will strike it's a way of shoing the studios you are very serious about walking out. it's part of the PR campaing both sides are waging.

I saw it mainly directed at the SAG-AFTRA negotiators not to give in too easily. Try to instill a little backbone in them.

Basically saying, don't take a decent deal, hold out for a strong deal for the union.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I mean the letter is to SAG not the studios 

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Top studio exec do talk to him, could be using him for their message that studios are ready to hold the line

The execs are (in all likelihood) not part of the AMPTP’s negotiating committee, which is its own entity. I’m sure a few people here and there are trying to peddle rumors, but since both sides agreed to a media blackout there’s limited info at best and we should take everything with a huge grain of salt.