Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

I feel like folks are underestimating how long it takes for the whole production process. If this gets pushed back to October, that means everything won’t even START production until then. So then add a year, or more, depending on the schedule.

Like I said in the title, this is gonna be Heroes 2.0. So much TV is just not coming back until at least Fall 2024 if they don’t get this resolved this summer. 

I assume things that are production already will be prioritised over things not scheduled for a while. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

I for one am ready for the Golden Age of TV to end. Bring back CINEMA! Let people go comatose on Married at First Sight, Love Island and 316 different house-hunting shows, 450 cooking competitions and 7 billion survivor knock-offs and then cinemas are back, baby!

But also, what if... Survivor, but with all Hollywood stars? And I don't mean Mike White level, I'm talking men vs women, with one tribe Being The Rock, Vin Diesel and Tyrese, while the other has the likes of Brie Larson, Gal Gadot and Susan Sarandon. 

No. You are thinking about this completely sideways. The television industry is an industry. Thousands of people had/have stable jobs based on network television ordering pilots and series. We absolutely don’t want that to end. 

Moreover, the idea that “killing television will bring people back to cinemas” is a false narrative. For almost 50 years, people have said that television was going to kill cinema. And I never did. They are two different experiences, and they fulfill two different needs. Again, I always go back to the Bob Evans quote from the 1970s: people don’t go to the movies, they go to see a movie.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Cap said:

I feel like folks are underestimating how long it takes for the whole production process. If this gets pushed back to October, that means everything won’t even START production until then. So then add a year, or more, depending on the schedule.

Like I said in the title, this is gonna be Heroes 2.0. So much TV is just not coming back until at least Fall 2024 if they don’t get this resolved this summer. 

No what's probably going to happen is that they'll push shows to come out in 2024 in January or February and run till May.

The episode count will be shortened to probably 13-14 episode seasons. Don't expect any TV Show this season to have a big episode count, it just isn't gonna happen.

Just now, Cap said:

No. You are thinking about this completely sideways. The television industry is an industry. Thousands of people had/have stable jobs based on network television ordering pilots and series. We absolutely don’t want that to end. 

Moreover, the idea that “killing television will bring people back to cinemas” is a false narrative. For almost 50 years, people have said that television was going to kill cinema. And I never did. They are two different experiences, and they fulfill two different needs. Again, I always go back to the Bob Evans quote from the 1970s: people don’t go to the movies, they go to see a movie.

I mean... I assumed my post was sufficiently tongue-in-cheek to not be interpreted as serious.

Obviously this has a wide-ranging impact that affects huge numbers of people. Think about catering contracts for productions shut down, all kinds of suppliers, everyone below the line that can't work because the people in front of the camera are missing. Even if I truly believed cinema needed tv to die in order to survive, I wouldn't want that. But I 100% agree with you. Short and long form storytelling are different and allow for creative variety. Do I believe there's loads of fat that should be trimmed on both sides? Absolutely. But tv and cinema both have a place in the entertainment landscape.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

I agree, people shouldn't be hoping for anything to end whether it's the film industry or the television industry since even unscripted television still employs a lot of people.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I agree, people shouldn't be hoping for anything to end whether it's the film industry or the television industry since even unscripted television still employs a lot of people.

A bunch of unscripted television also gonna get shut down.

• Like 2

Even the Big 4(ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS) will likely all plan shorten seasons very similar to the pandemic. If this resolves in October that gives them 3 months to get the product ready for a new season in January/February of 2024 with a shortened episode count.

The year of the pandemic basically every single network had shortened seasons. Same thing will happen here.

Also in the meantime look for all the streaming services to go international to air new content. That's what Netflix does and if you think Hollywood has problems. That's child's play to those in the South Korea film industry.

Edited by Cappoedameron

50 minutes ago, Kon said:

I really doubt all the creatives could turn to Youtube for income.

For starters, these jobs can be pretty expensive and the guarantees of success are pretty dicey.

I'm not suggesting it'd be a widespread thing, but if you had a situation where several creatives make a success of themselves on YouTube, you could well see others turning their attention to a platform where they can essentially 'self publish' narrative fiction, in the same way current YouTubers spend an awful lot of money to produce their content.

The traditional movie industry really can't afford to piss off creatives too much for too long. Other avenues exist outside of them now where content can be created and disseminated to a lot of people. 

• Community Manager
Just now, FunkMiller said:

I'm not suggesting it'd be a widespread thing, but if you had a situation where several creatives make a success of themselves on YouTube, you could well see others turning their attention to a platform where they can essentially 'self publish' narrative fiction, in the same way current YouTubers spend an awful lot of money to produce their content.

The traditional movie industry really can't afford to piss off creatives too much for too long. Other avenues exist outside of them now where content can be created and disseminated to a lot of people. 

Proper narrative fiction is expensive and then to properly market it, even more expensive. I have multiple short films on Youtube and I don't really see Youtube as a viable alternative.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

If Google couldn't make YouTube Originals work, what hope is there for anyone else? 

Edited by Jonwo

5 minutes ago, FunkMiller said:

This isn’t a viable way to make any money (let alone enough to live on), especially on short notice. 

• Like 3

So, this will also cause folks to reevaluate all their streaming payments.  I know I'll be dropping Max in October, and if Disney has nothing, that may go too at the end of Nov while I keep Hulu (the son is lobbying for Disney b/c of Phineas and Ferb...but I'm only gonna pay so much for one show if the rest of the content - Marvel Star Wars, and blockbuster movies - are not arriving)...

And I'm only gonna keep Hulu b/c they offered me a $2.99/month deal that I can take until Dec 4th...or I wouldn't pay for that, either, with so little content coming...

PS - Amazon may also be on my cut list (talked to the spouse for that one b/c he loves the shipping).  I may spend the year with just Netflix (virtually free with my phone) and Hulu if the strike is long and content is an issue...

Amazon Prime won’t lose too many subscribers to its video service because people still want to use the delivery service.   My folks share my account and by January it’s pretty much paid for itself 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, this will also cause folks to reevaluate all their streaming payments. 

I axed Netflix and Max. My others (Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, Prime, Paramount+) are all on yearly subs, so cancelling them might not be worth it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, this will also cause folks to reevaluate all their streaming payments. 

Lol how, streaming is the only way people are gonna be able to watch anything once the current crop of completed movies burns out. Even if the strike ends after the fall there's almost nothing between then and next summer.

• Like 1

Just now, DAR said:

It sucks.  On the hand I can use this time to catch up on things I said I was going to watch during Covid 

Same, but for shows from the past year for the Emmys (whenever they air lol). I've been catching up on Yellowjackets and am over halfway through the new season of The Bear. Maybe will finally start Wednesday too now that the series is a prestige show heh.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cap said:

You took a post seriously that threw the idea of Susan Sarandon on Survivor out into the ether. And tons of people liked it.

We're obviously not in the best state to be discussing this strike because now we're taking obvious jokes as legitimate discussion points.

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Amazon Prime won’t lose too many subscribers to its video service because people still want to use the delivery service.   My folks share my account and by January it’s pretty much paid for itself 

Prime Video is really a bonus than a must have. I imagine Amazon sees the delivery side as a money maker and Prime Video as the extra.