Eric the Minion

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I'm a simple man with even simpler questions. Which actors are striking? Certainly not the ones making millions, right???

They're all striking. The ones not making millions are the ones who need fair pay. Big actors striking helps to show solidarity. Studios wouldn't care if only smaller names were striking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I did a short session at Disney yesterday, it’s okay as long as you dress right. They had cooling stations where they’d spritz your face and/or give you a bandanna soaked in ice water. 

Would be nice for the weather to cool off a little next week though. 

I spent a couple days on the line with the writers in Culver when they started, at Sony and Amazon/Scrubs season 9. Can’t imagine being out there today though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Iger: abandoning theaters was a mistake

AMC: do a good deal with actors

Iger: we're proud to abandon theaters and announce a disney+ expansion deal

I nearly spit my drink out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plain Old Tele said:

No one has a clue, really. You could probably make arguments for any number of scenarios. 

It like a military operation,; you can start it, but you cannot control what will happen after you start it.

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

I think going after their own streaming services was smart. Locking them behind a sub fee instead of going ad supported was IMO the problem. (Yeah peacock has it's free component but it locked originals and a lot of content behind a paywall).

FWIW, I completely agree with this.

I think eventually we're gonna continue the consolation around Premium (no ads) and Standard (ads).  With as much pressure as possible to punt people into the ad tiers.

I really don't think the streamers will have much of a choice here, when it comes right down to it.

My controversial opinion is:

7sie2g.jpg

(with an exempt Super Premium Tier)

But this thread is probably already too Hair On Fire to stand an in-depth discussion about that. 😉

Edited by Porthos
  • Disbelief 1

36 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Not really. Big name actors who actually bring asses (we only have very very few of them) to seats deserve their pay. Big name actors who bring nobody don't.

Why does any Actor deserve a paycheck for a single movie that is bigger than Bob Iger's pay for the year?

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Writer of Rogue One and The Book Of Eli also concurs with the October expectation:

October for SAG or WGA or both? In the 60s it still took a while after the SAG strike ended for them to make a deal for the WGA. WGA strike might very well go until January. 

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Eh, there's still plenty that's already been filmed and in post-production. Imagine the movies will just be spaced out more (probably not a bad idea after the complaints of how overcrowded this summer was).

Though we don't even know how long this will last. Given that the industry is now basically in complete shutdown mode, we'll see how quickly these clowns change their tune once they see their bank accounts going down.

I'm looking at the schedule for 2024 and honestly given how many films are currently scheduled and double booked on certain dates, I don't think things are going to be that bad if there are a few moves here and there. Perhaps some months will be a bit lacking but that was the case last year. 

I suspect more urgency to get this resolved from the TV industry so that TV production can ramp back up because that will look dire if there's no new content at all aside from reality and gameshows. 

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Nice dodge of my question: What would you replace private business with?

As for having a chance, replacing private business wholesale with government has been tried, did not work to well. See the fall of Communism for details.

If anything, A Government controlled entertainment business is not a good idea. The private sector isn't great but I wouldn't want any Government trying to make films. 

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

October for SAG or WGA or both? In the 60s it still took a while after the SAG strike ended for them to make a deal for the WGA. WGA strike might very well go until January. 

I think he’s implying for both? Probably SAG before and then WGA in October. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

The problem is that the studios are losing money. The box office isn't what it used to be and streaming isn't exactly profitable.

At this point, I'm wondering if people making these comments work for the studios in question. They're making enough of a profit to pay their executives a lot more money than they pay individual writers, so what's up with that?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
emphasis

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

At this point, I'm wondering if people making these comments work for the studios in question. They're making enough of a profit to pay their executives a lot more money than they pay individual writers, so what's up with that?

As a company overall they're making money, but on streaming they're losing money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

I assuming studios are gonna try to end the sag strike as soon as they possibly can

I'm waiting for one of them to go rogue and start making agreements, the question is who?

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

People are confusing the studios with the corporations. Walt Disney Studios might be losing money on this year's slate but The Walt Disney Company is still making profit because of their other revenue streams. 

• Like 2