Eric is Quiet

WGA/SAGAFTRA Strike Discussion Thread | SAG Ratifies Contract

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

They are also very dumb because they don't realize how often they actually are the primary screen.

That’s just it though… that’s only the case when the writers are allowed/it’s conducive for them to do top tier work on TV. I can’t tell you the number of people I know who have admitted to essentially watching the MCU shows as “background noise” with the exception of WandaVision (and maybe Loki). 

• Community Manager
21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That’s just it though… that’s only the case when the writers are allowed/it’s conducive for them to do top tier work on TV. I can’t tell you the number of people I know who have admitted to essentially watching the MCU shows as “background noise” with the exception of WandaVision (and maybe Loki). 

Usually I'll only background noise a show with no real plot between episodes (like Cold Case) or one I've already seen and am pretty familiar with (so I can pay attention during my favorite bits). Even with Cold Case, if it's my first watch, it'll be more primary screen than not unless it's bad. I'm bad at multitasking lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

Usually I'll only background noise a show with no real plot between episodes (like Cold Case) or one I've already seen and am pretty familiar with (so I can pay attention during my favorite bits). Even with Cold Case, if it's my first watch, it'll be more primary screen than not unless it's bad. I'm bad at multitasking lol.

My background TV is usually gameshows especially if it's a repeat. 

The TIFF lineup has been revealed, and while studio movies are obviously very few due to the circumstances (Dumb Money, The Holdovers, and Next Goal Wins are the only theatrical releases from a major studio here? Taika, Payne, and Gillespie are all high-profile filmmakers that can do Q&As for their movies without their stars while at the same time giving their two cents on the strikes), there's actually quite a few titles with big names in them that don't have distributors yet. Including a rather high number of behind-the-camera efforts from actors (Chris Pine, Ethan Hawke, Anna Kendrick, Viggo Mortensen, Kristin Scott Thomas). I assume this was the only way they were gonna be able to save attendance levels since people usually attend these to see the stars in person.

Toronto Film Festival 2023 Lineup - Variety

Edited by filmlover

19 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

I think it’s most definitely a generational thing. The primary teen/twenties audience that streaming really goes after are very much using it as a “second screen” from my experience, except when the writing is compelling enough to really grab their attention away from the phone. They won’t just do that for anything by any stretch though. The phone is always gonna be the default for a good chunk of that audience. 

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s most definitely a generational thing. The primary teen/twenties audience that streaming really goes after are very much using it as a “second screen” from my experience, except when the writing is compelling enough to really grab their attention away from the phone. They won’t just do that for anything by any stretch though. The phone is always gonna be the default for a good chunk of that audience. 

Shouldn't the goal then of any service be to provide compelling enough content to take their attention away from their phone?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Shouldn't the goal then of any service be to provide compelling enough content to take their attention away from their phone?

Yeah, of course. That’s why the writing matters so much. They’re not gonna get a lot of people’s attention if they have the mentality that TV quality isn’t that important anyways. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Interesting discussion but could we stick to the strike itself?

4 hours ago, upriser7 said:

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

^^ Buried in that article: The Rock apparently donated a “seven figure sum” to the SAG-AFTRA Foundation…. I’m hardly his biggest fan these days, but respect. 

By the way, in case anyone here wants to donate to the fund, the link to the main page devoted to the fund:

https://sagaftra.foundation/emergencyfinancialassistance/

and the page for donating:

https://members.sagfoundation.org/donate

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

By the way, in case anyone here wants to donate to the fund, the link to the main page devoted to the fund:

https://sagaftra.foundation/emergencyfinancialassistance/

and the page for donating:

https://members.sagfoundation.org/donate

Also the Entertainment Community Fund (formerly The Actors Fund), which supports all cast/crew in times of trouble: https://entertainmentcommunity.org

• Like 2

Warner Bros's Notice on Barbie Japan

F112bzlak-AADQ8-O.jpg

● Margot Robbie &America Ferrera won't visit Japan.

● Pink Carpet Event on 02/08 (Wednesday) has been cancelled. 

● Stage Greetings &Press Interview has been cancelled.

● Advanced Previews will instead be joined by Director "Greta Gerwig" &Producer "David Heyman" incl. the Japanese Dub Voice Cast.