Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Friday #s: Mario 14.1, Evil Dead 10.3, Covenant 2.25, John Wick 1.6, Air 1.4

FRIDAY

14.09M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

10.30M | EVIL DEAD RISE

02.25M | THE COVENANT

01.57M | JOHN WICK IV

01.40M | AIR

01.39M | D&D: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

01.13M | BEAU IS AFRAID

01.00M | THE POPE'S EXORCIST

00.91M | RENFIELD

00.54M | CHEVALIER

00.44M | SUZUME

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Thanks 1

Seems promising if gitesh is already estimating 58 for the weekend. Can definitely see that 60 still happening. 

edit: see that’s dls estimate. Even more promising considering how much they’ve lowballed this movie so far. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

makes me wonder how much disney could have made from Prey if they didn't keep it a Hulu original

I was always on board with it would have had a 25/80 run, with about 100M OS.

That’s my headcanon at least.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, M37 said:

Yes, but Elvis had the brand of both the subject and director, which aided in the perception it was made for theatrical release, banking nearly $50M in the first week 

Air and Gucci are much more in the could have been a straight to streaming flick, and audiences largely treat them as such, waiting for home viewing, lowering the ceiling on BO$

Air quite literally was going to be a straight to streaming film for Amazon until a couple of months ago when they realized they had a gem and a theatrical release would help the eventual streaming release. 

its doing just fine, all things considered. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Air quite literally was going to be a straight to streaming film for Amazon until a couple of months ago when they realized they had a gem and a theatrical release would help the eventual streaming release. 

its doing just fine, all things considered. 

Yup. This. Still should finish with something like 55M+ DOM too. Maybe 60M+ DOM. That's fine especially given it was definitely gonna be straight to streaming until somewhat recently.

21 hours ago, Eric Williams said:

Comes to my theater this weekend. This is very, very effective advertising lol

Great movie. If you guys want a quality anarchic film that's all about how much the man sucks, this is the film to check out.

1 hour ago, M37 said:

Yes, but Elvis had the brand of both the subject and director, which aided in the perception it was made for theatrical release, banking nearly $50M in the first week 

Air and Gucci are much more in the could have been a straight to streaming flick, and audiences largely treat them as such, waiting for home viewing, lowering the ceiling on BO$

This. Music biopics like Elvis or BoRap are basically a "prestige" version of every other nostalgia-driven blockbuster that comes out today. They're designed to sell you on big, flashy concert scenes and loud surround sound to get you in the theater, as well as taking a popular artist you listened to when you were younger and tap into all those nostalgic memories you had listening to it on your cassette/CD/iPod. "Hey, remember when you listened to Elvis with your parents? Well, you can listen to it again and see a movie that is basically like going to a flashy concert!" The Elvis trailers using snippets of Unchained Melody/Suspicious Minds is basically the same nostalgia pandering as when the new Little Mermaid trailers use Part of Your World as their big selling point.

People obviously have a fondness for Nike and Michael Jordan, but Air isn't flashy and is mainly just conversations and business negotiations. Which I mean I love, but sadly isn't enough for today's auds anymore.

• Like 3

Idk while it does suck that dramas aren't money makers, were they ever like...huge money makers? Even pre-pandemic? Like the most I can think of off the top of my head is American Sniper way back in 2014.

58 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. This. Still should finish with something like 55M+ DOM too. Maybe 60M+ DOM. That's fine especially given it was definitely gonna be straight to streaming until somewhat recently.

It’s ok for Air considering it was originally for streaming. 

But both Smile and Evil Dead Rise are much more impressive than Air. They were originally for streaming and will actually make money. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Idk while it does suck that dramas aren't money makers, were they ever like...huge money makers? Even pre-pandemic? Like the most I can think of off the top of my head is American Sniper way back in 2014.

Yeah, I'm not 100% on board with the idea that Air would've done that much better pre-pandemic. It's still a film mostly about boardroom conversations and business dealings, and I struggle to remember the last time a movie like that was a big hit. I think it's doing pretty alright for what it is.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Slasher genre was dead in 2011. Early 2010s were peak PARANORMAL ACTIVITY. SCREAM can thank HALLOWEEN 11 for revitalizing the slasher genre like SCREAM did in the 90s and which H20 benefited from. It's all circular!

I still say if they didn't spend 40 million on 4 and had marketed it and. Not  opened it against rio (imagining opening 6 against mario...that's why they moved the release date from March 31st to march 10th) it would have succeeded 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, screambaby said:

I still say if they didn't spend 40 million on 4 and had marketed it and. Not  opened it against rio (imagining opening 6 against mario...that's why they moved the release date from March 31st to march 10th) it would have succeeded 

Rio opened to like 1/5th of what Mario did and had next to no audience overlap with Scre4m. Competition wasn't really the problem.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It’s ok for Air considering it was originally for streaming. 

But both Smile and Evil Dead Rise are much more impressive than Air. They were originally for streaming and will actually make money. 

Yeah... I think horror has a much bigger hook than stuff like Air. But, definitely impressive from each as well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

What's the definition of drama, though? IMDB lists Marvel, Harry Potter, Twilight, LOTR, etc as dramas.

Technically anything that's not a comedy is 'drama' but how drama's used now is basically a movie without any Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Horror elements really. Like just straight up real life stuff such as say movies like Moonlight, Boyhood etc

8 minutes ago, cookie said:

Yeah, I'm not 100% on board with the idea that Air would've done that much better pre-pandemic. It's still a film mostly about boardroom conversations and business dealings, and I struggle to remember the last time a movie like that was a big hit. I think it's doing pretty alright for what it is.

Argo, which is similar in depicting an historical event but with a not super serious tone, grossed $100M in 2012 before Christmas & Awards seasons boosted it over $130M. Monuments men made $80M too 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

Rio opened to like 1/5th of what Mario did and had next to no audience overlap with Scre4m. Competition wasn't really the problem.

Agree here. Unfortunately, when Scre4m released, there really wasn't much of demand for movies of that type. It showed in how people didn't really turn out for it even though it's very good. The new ones are kinda a reinvention of it with the requel, etc. Timing was better. People wanted a different take on Scream and whole new set of core heroes. 4 was still very much an extension of of the first 3 more than 5 and 6 are...

20 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean obviously I wasn't expecting Air to make 200M, but I think 70M+ wasn't out of reach pre-pandemic for an easy crowdpleaser with a big ensemble cast and an easy hook. 10 years ago, you had American Hustle, Lone Survivor, The Butler, and Captain Phillips all making 100M. And between 70-100M, you had 42, Saving Mr. Banks, Safe Haven. Even Great Gatsby can be thrown in there, though that of course is based off an iconic book. And 5 years ago, even if you take out stuff like A Star is Born or BoRap, there was The Mule, Green Book, and I Can Only Imagine (and I guess also Creed 2/Fifty Shades 3, though of course iconic franchises). All these movies, if they dropped today, would have only grossed 55M at best, and more likely just 25-30M. That's what I'm getting at here.

• Like 5

Just now, Eric Williams said:

I mean obviously I wasn't expecting Air to make 200M, but I think 70M+ wasn't out of reach pre-pandemic for an easy crowdpleaser with a big ensemble cast and an easy hook. 10 years ago, you had American Hustle, Lone Survivor, The Butler, and Captain Phillips all making 100M. And between 70-100M, you had 42, Saving Mr. Banks, Safe Haven. Even Great Gatsby can be thrown in there, though that of course is based off an iconic book. And 5 years ago, even if you take out stuff like A Star is Born or BoRap, there was The Mule, Green Book, and I Can Only Imagine (and I guess also Creed 2/Fifty Shades 3, though of course iconic franchises). All these movies, if they dropped today, would have only grossed 55M at best, and more likely just 25-30M. That's what I'm getting at here.

That's true. Thanks for giving me the explanation I was genuinely looking for, I appreciate it.

• Like 1