Eric is Quiet

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

That would be a brutal drop for Mario if estimates hold (they will almost certainly go up as it's Deadline), but it also shows just how much it's benefited from having zero competition for a whole month. 

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

it also shows just how much it's benefited from having zero competition for a whole month. 

I beg your pardon. 
The behemoth that was “Big George Foreman” would like a word. 
It grossed *dozens* of dollars in each of its 3000+ theatres.

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Fwiw, the Drafthouse numbers from the tacking thread suggested a ~1.6x Th/Fr ratio. The only major release to beat that math/method by more than 5% was (surprisingly!) AMWQ, though with a holiday weekend effect 

That same method extrapolated out to ~4.5x through Saturday, or ~$79M total. But I won’t be surprised if GOTG3 beats that by a bit with a big Sat

5 hours ago, XXR Metro Boomin said:

AOU maybe but how is IM3 a let down on the box office front? It nearly doubled what IM2 made worldwide. 

I did forget how well IM3 did on the OS front. There were plenty of people who expected $500+ DOM though after TA, I remember that very vividly. 

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I did forget how well IM3 did on the OS front. There were plenty of people who expected $500+ DOM though after TA, I remember that very vividly. 

Some people were also disappointed that it lost the 2013 domestic crown to Catching Fire and OS/WW to Frozen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Some people were also disappointed that it lost the 2013 domestic crown to Catching Fire and OS/WW to Frozen. 

IM3 wasn't good, so I was glad it lost out to the better movies that were CF and Frozen.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

IM3 wasn't good, so I was glad it lost out to the better movies that were CF and Frozen.

Me too. Especially the huge and completely unexpected breakout that was Frozen.

• Like 1

We are going back to they way it was in 2000s, comic book movies could be successful but not totally dominant, I don't think another 2018-2019 where we had 7 $1b + grossers from that genre alone will happen again 

• Like 2

After just coming back from it, as long as this does well enough that it's box office doesn't become the story around it, then it'll be fine. This is a good movie, and with only one more Marvel movie slated to come out until this time next year, if this helps set the standard that people associate with Marvel, then it'll help the next films.

One of my big takeaways is that this was a film that was given time to cook. When they went to a new location, it was fully formed and thought out. Lots happens, but nothing feels superfluous. I hope that slowing down the churn in Marvel can help get them back here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

That would be a brutal drop for Mario if estimates hold (they will almost certainly go up as it's Deadline), but it also shows just how much it's benefited from having zero competition for a whole month. 

With that number, it will miss 600M. Might not even hit 580M. But it has had an amazing run already. Reaching these numbers is like a bonus now.

2 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I beg your pardon. 
The behemoth that was “Big George Foreman” would like a word. 
It grossed *dozens* of dollars in each of its 3000+ theatres.

The fact the rotj rerelease is gonna beat its final total despite not having previews and only being out in 475 theatres for juat a week is hillarious.

• Haha 2