kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

39 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

So Guardians is likely staying the highest grossing CBM of the year right?

I'm not counting out Spider-Verse or Flash yet. While even less likely, not counting Aquaman either because it'll Christmas season to hugely inflate numbers. I'm speaking more in terms of DOM and not OS or WW. 

1 hour ago, Issac Newton said:

Stupid decision!!

Not only because they damage late legs for SMB, but also because the audience gets a dangerous message: "it's not necessary to go to cinemas. You can wait just two months and see the movie for less in your home". It's something that especially hurts upcoming animated releases, just when the genre was slowly recovering.

We need to return to longer windows for theatrical runs!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stripe said:

Stupid decision!!

Not only because they damage late legs for SMB, but also because the audience gets a dangerous message: "it's not necessary to go to cinemas. You can wait just two months and see the movie for less in your home". It's something that especially hurts upcoming animated releases, just when the genre was slowly recovering.

Yeah, this. Studios are literally training people not to go to the theater. It seems mind-boggingly dumb to me, but what do I know, I’m just some guy on the innertubes…

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, stripe said:

Stupid decision!!

You'd think studios would start course correcting after Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2 proved legs still matter. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stripe said:

Stupid decision!!

It's just the digital release, audiences still have to pay the full price. Puss still had great legs even when digital came out.

I imagine the release date contracts were already signed before they knew how big the movie was.

Only the dvd release will kill the boxoffice run for sure. I'm hoping it will be at least July before the movie comes out on video.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, stripe said:

Stupid decision!!

We saw with Rise of Gru and others that has little impact. Will cost $20+ maybe even $25+ to rent and have for like 24 to 48 hours. No big deal. Unless I'm misunderstanding this and it's going to be on Peacock free if you pay for that streaming service or have Xfinity with which it's included...

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

We saw with Rise of Gru and others that has little impact. Will cost $20+ maybe even $25+ to rent and have for like 24 to 48 hours. No big deal. Unless I'm misunderstanding this and it's going to be on Peacock free if you pay for that streaming service or have Xfinity with which it's included...

On Amazon Prime right now, Mario is available for digital purchase for $29.99 for 4K/HD/SD to be released tomorrow. No renting option for now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I still think Fast X will still give OS for Vol 3 hit even if it underperforms. So I do wonder how much the drop will be next week when it´s loses screens etc. 

45% or so 

It would probably be low 30’s if it wasn’t for Fast X

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

You'd think studios would start course correcting after Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar 2 proved legs still matter. 

It's as if they don't care about animated anymore.
They don't learn. Another stupid example: AIR is already on streaming for free here in Spain.

23 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Purchase for $20-25 is still cheaper than go to a theater with all family. As I said, it's not just that this can affect SMB legs. It's the message you send to audience of future family films that are not juggernaut tentpoles like SMB or Minions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stripe said:

It's as if they don't care about animated anymore.
They don't learn. Another stupid example: AIR is already on streaming for free here in Spain.

Isn't AIR more of a Glass Onion scenario where the owner genuinely bought it to be a streaming focused product?  

• Like 1

The Mario available to buy for $30 after six weeks or so, yeah it’s not ideal. However, it’s not like it’s dropping on a streamer for nothing. Puss In Boots and Gru both did the same and the box office was barely affected.  

I totally get people waiting when they know they’re getting it for nothing in 6 weeks. A $30 price tag though? Most families don’t want to pay that for one movie at home now when they pay half that for a streamer with a million movies on.  

Uni, Paramount and Warner Bros have been doing this for a couple of years now - PVOD at around 6-7 weeks and it seems to be working fine all round.