kayumanggi

Weekend Thread | May 12 - 14 | Weekend Actuals | 62.01M GOTG III | 12.61M MARIO | 6.68M BOOK CLUB: THE NEXT CHAPTER

1 hour ago, Deep Wang said:

Why would you spend hundreds of hours in a game that you can beat in less than 2 hours?

I mean we have people here complaining about Zelda talk so I won’t go into a whole tangent, but suffice it to say open world games are intentionally designed to be played any way you want. If you want to beat the “main quest” in a hour right away(via clever techniques speed runners find)  then go ahead. You won’t have actually played the game though, which offers hundreds of hours of unique content 

Anyways, getting back to *box office*, Blackberry has opened wide in Canada, most theatres here are playing it. Makes sense as Research in Motion, the company that created the BlackBerry is a Canadian company. 

I wonder how much the weekend number will be skewed by leaning heavily on Canadian theatres.
Just here in Ottawa alone there are 7 theatres playing it. Seeing it with my sister on Sunday. That 98% on RT is looking damn good, hope it lives up to it.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean we have people here complaining about Zelda talk so I won’t go into a whole tangent, but suffice it to say open world games are intentionally designed to be played any way you want. If you want to beat the “main quest” in a hour right away(via clever techniques speed runners find)  then go ahead. You won’t have actually played the game though, which offers hundreds of hours of unique content 

Given the way Deep Wang games, he knows this very intimately 😅

Anyway, we've got tonnes of data to show that giant gaming launches don't affect the box office, look at Modern Warfare 2 vs 2012 in 2009.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thinking better, while +115% now it was 140% earlier so the final jump should be between those anyway

I suppose 120-125% is the most likely scenario, so 15.5 - 16.0 like EC said 

Hoping to something closer to 16 so 60M would be nearly locked 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, I Am Eric said:

Also from the article

Always enjoy weekends like these where everybody has good holds all around (yes I know some movies are performing better than others). I would assume even with Fast X that we should see the same thing next week before Memorial Day causes chaos.

Great drops all around. As for GOTG III, I hope it's at least 16M for Friday.

100-105% jump would be the worst increase of all time for a MCU release in May [outside of IW / EG for obvious reasons] 

That would be insanely bad and surprising for a movie that is holding so well and that started the day so strong, let´s hope it is an under index indeed 

• Like 1

Should end up being a very good weekend for holdovers due to nothing of note coming out. Guardians dropping less than 50% given the increasingly frontloaded nature of the MCU even with a potential Mother's Day bump would be a pleasant surprise, it's guaranteed to be in the top 5 for almost another month given how slow the marketplace will be aside from the obvious heavy-hitters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I will update an hour later but its lower at my end. Closer to 100-105% than otherwise. But its likely to under index a bit as I expect Canada holds to be lot superior to state side. May be @DAJK would know how its doing over there. 

Canada have smaller bumps than US on FRI, its just that bigger chains overindex during weekdays as they have bigger cinemas which hold better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Canada have smaller bumps than US on FRI, its just that bigger chains overindex during weekdays as they have bigger cinemas which hold better.

So Canada is all about sat/sun and discount tuesday. You are right about over indexing on weekdays though mario was a huge outlier.