kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

I feel like an Uncharted sequel would be a big mistake. Uncharted's success absolutely feels like a right movie at the right time situation between coming two months after No Way Home and opening in a marketplace that had been light on broadly-appealing action movies since, well, No Way Home. The fact that it did well on Netflix also reinforces my thinking that it felt like a Netflix movie that somehow got lucky and slipped through the cracks into the studio system. A drop for a hypothetical sequel seems like it would be inevitable.

It would be. if they ever touch that franchise again, they need to get the original writers involved and actually put some effort into making a faithful adaption with proper casting. Not some copy and paste cooperate adventure movie starring the actor of the week.  

13 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think it's up there, but Boogie Nights' amazing pacing & structure put it over it and I still think TWBB is his masterwork. I'd put it at #3 for now. I haven't seen Phantom Thread since I was 17, so I was probably too young to fully get it, but maybe a rewatch would move it up in my estimation too.

Boogie Nights would probably be my favorite if they got literally anybody else to play the lead except Mark Wahlberg. And this isn't just me saying it because of him committing hate crimes. He's just an abysmal charisma vaccuum of an actor, even in good movies. It's hilarious when you see him surrounded by all these acting legends in The Departed and he's just being his usual boring, stiff self.

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Remember when Box Office Mojo would actually write articles and previews for the moviegoing seasons? Good times

remember when they didn't fuck up Opening Day numbers and double count the previews every weeeeeeeek?!?! Good times.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Going back to box office, that opening for Boogeyman makes that $35M budget look way worse. Whoever at Disney approved that needs to be kicked in the shins.

Isn't the budget inflated because it was supposed to go to streaming first? I think that was why Air cost 70M even though it's mainly just people talking in an office.

3 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Boogie Nights would probably be my favorite if they got literally anybody else to play the lead except Mark Wahlberg. And this isn't just me saying it because of him committing hate crimes. He's just an abysmal charisma vaccuum of an actor, even in good movies. It's hilarious when you see him surrounded by all these acting legends in The Departed and he's just being his usual boring, stiff self.

idk i thought he was perfect in that, the departed and three kings and I normally think he's just an ass actor (and that's before even getting into his fucked-up past) 

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

If all of The Rock's recent decisions are just Black Adam damage control I am shocked he didn't immediately kick down Sony's door and demand to start work on another Jumanji instantly. Those are his biggest movies! The grosses would go down again but another one would surely make more than a.... Hobbs movie.

I think they are trying to figure out how to get Colin Hanks and Madison Iseman's characters to end up together without having the movie cancelled upon release. It's the single weirdest plotline in the 2 movies.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Remember when Box Office Mojo would actually write articles and previews for the moviegoing seasons? Good times

Everyone here uses The Numbers website instead of BOM these days right?

1 minute ago, TMP said:

idk i thought he was perfect in that, the departed and three kings and I normally think he's just an ass actor (and that's before even getting into his fucked-up past) 

he's super boring in normal protagonist roles but he's excellent at playing assholes and/or idiots. one of the best there is at it. it must come from experience. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

he's super boring in normal protagonist roles but he's excellent at playing assholes and/or idiots. one of the best there is at it. it must come from experience. 

Yeah, I think that covers it - he's one of the worst protagonists i've ever seen in a big budget film between Transformers, The Happening and Planet of the Apes, but then excels at jack-asses and total losers

• Like 1

Being at the Boogeyman matinee today while the front row entirely of like junior high kids talking on their phones and running in the aisles reminded me how low on horror this summer is. Boogeyman and.. Insidious 85?

A24's Talk To Me could be a sleeper but I doubt it even reaches Bodies Bodies Bodies numbers

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Everyone here uses The Numbers website instead of BOM these days right?

The Numbers is better for tracking dailies. Their only problem is that they sometimes don’t update the OS grosses for older movies. BOM tends to have the most recent totals, which is often tens of millions higher than on The Numbers.

10 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Isn't the budget inflated because it was supposed to go to streaming first? I think that was why Air cost 70M even though it's mainly just people talking in an office.

I mean probably, but the stars can’t be too expensive and the film has a similar scale to The Black Phone (another post-COVID horror film) but that cost half the money. Feels like a film that should cost $20M, maybe $25M at best. 

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer

Coolio keeps stealing my posts, first about creepy Collateral and then the Wahlberg point. Hate crimes aside (not that they should be!) Wahlberg is great as a freakishly over the top goon (Departed, Four Brothers) or an absolute fucking moron (Boogie Nights, the first Ted). Unfortunately since Lone Survivor/Transformers 4 he's played nothing but traditional dad everymen and it's just fucking dire.

• Like 6

Wahlberg I feel like it's similar to Cruise in that he responded to a wave of bad press by deciding he should only ever play Hero McLikeable from now on. It's also a weird religious thing since he said he prayed for forgiveness for doing Boogie Nights so that's... what it is. Hasn't had a great part since Pain and Gain (coincidentally also The Rock's last good role). The one different thing he's tried in the last decade was All the Money in the World and I don't know why that happened. Seems like an administrative error that he even got offered that role.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Been a rough decade for legacy actors. Clooney went from the best actor in Hollywood for 15 years to a decade of totally forgettable crap. Wahlberg hasn't been good in anything since 2012. Matt Damon has had a nice post-COVID run but he was alternating every hit with a miss for awhile there. Brad Pitt starred in Bullet Train and hit his kids. Johnny Depp is such an asshole he had his career ruined BEFORE he was accussed of hitting his wife. Will Smith was mostly bad in things until he won an Oscar for being Will Smith again, then proceeded to fuck it royally. Leo is still great but it wouldn't kill him to play a handsome charming guy instead of an out of shape weirdo for once, if anything to make his girlfriend age gaps less weird. 

Tom Cruise stay winning.

• Haha 3