kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I doubt it. It might be a bit front loaded for the weekend but I think next weekend's hold will be a good one. This plays well to casuals/families who just want Spider-Man in their life.  

Yeah? Hopefully. Feel like a fan service film number as in the rush was big time on Thursday/Friday. In a way, it's comforting. Superhero stuff not blowing up huge. But, wow. Figured 40M+ was locked yesterday. Not so. Eh. Thinking summer crown goes to another movie.

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I honestly wasn't sure if it was a troll or a serious post, but since you seem to be serious with it, any comp you have from 20 years ago is completely worthless today because audiences behave differently.

They didn't for Top Gun:Maverick either.

11 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Across tryna get to 120M+ DOM OW while being fan service the movie...

Dog with short legs tries to climb into car on Make a GIF

Being fan service the movie helped catapult NWH over 250M DOM

The fact that we're witnessing these numbers for AtSM despite being so experimental with its animation styles is phenom

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, G Doss said:

My comp is a family film out on fewer screens and the price of an average ticket was $6. And it still beat TLM in absolute numbers on its second weekend with a drop of under 40% compared to about 58%.

I will ask again, why are we proclaiming TLM to have great legs? What is the justification for that?

Why not just compare it to the original The Little Mermaid while you're at it? Might as well since you can't get a closer story comp than that and what year it is apparently has no bearing on your point.

Edited by KGPatt2

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't think "yikes" is the word for a movie that surpassed it's tracking number in two days lol.  Some of you love being dramatic. 

Sure "yikes" is probably overstating but surpassing what tracking in 2 days? The trades that were always way low, or the tracking here which was pointing to (IMO) $120-$130M+ for a couple weeks.  Setting proper expectations for potential outcomes allows for a more objective rather than subjective evaluation of results

ATSV looks to be just barely squeezing over the lower bound, which is not bad by any stretch, but could have also been a fair amount better, so there's some level of disappointment in the air. Juxtaposed to GOTG3, with a very similar weekend total, but had to do a lot of work the the final week/weekend to achieve that number, and the reactions reflected that

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Being fan service the movie helped catapult NWH over 250M DOM

Live action so a bit more to it as they had to get actors back rather than just draw 100 fan service cameos. That Saturday number screams Across the Fanservice-Verse. Ouch. Was Lightyear this frontloaded? I assume a bit more so but similar. Trying to think of other super frontloaded animated movies...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

13 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

you will get warning points. And since you are at nine out of 10 already

Joined May 28

impressed ron burgundy GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 17
  • Astonished 1

‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Swings To Best Opening Of Summer YTD With $120M+ Beating ‘Guardians’ – Updated Box Office

SUNDAY AM: When Paramount lost Marvel to Disney, any even distribution of franchises among the major studios was disrupted. However, Sony’s reported $7M acquisition of Marvel’s Spider-Man franchise back in 1998 has continued to pay off, no more evident than this weekend as Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse posted an exceptional and $120.5M opening — one which tracking didn’t see coming, but exhibition did– making it the best start for a summer tentpole YTD, the third best opening for a Spider-Man movie….

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eric 2099 said:

Moderation

@G Doss if you continue this nonsensical trolling, you will get warning points. And since you are at nine out of 10 already, that means you are suspended for two weeks. This is your last chance.

So serious question here and I'm not trying to undermine your authority but he's a relatively new poster. Joined May 28th and has 14 posts. Is it possible that he just doesn't understand the nuances and intricacies of the box office the way a lot of other people do here?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yeah? Hopefully. Feel like a fan service film number as in the rush was big time on Thursday/Friday. In a way, it's comforting. Superhero stuff not blowing up huge. But, wow. Figured 40M+ was locked yesterday. Not so. Eh. Thinking summer crown goes to another movie.

Barbie is coming.