kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

Anything over $40 million is decent. Still under 60% drop (though slightly) with immense competition. Should still have no problem ending up $320-$325 million with a chance at $330 million. But now it can take a sort of breath of relief that it made it past the biggest competition. Transformers and Elementals seem DOA while Indy 5 will probably not fare that well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

$40.6M (-57.5%) - The Little Mermaid ($186.2M)

$42.8M for Aladdin 

Great considering TLM had SV2 coming off the high of SV1 while Aladdin had King of Monsters coming off the low of Godzilla 2014

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

‘Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse’ Swings To Best Opening Of Summer YTD With $120M+ Beating ‘Guardians’ – Updated Box Office

SUNDAY AM: When Paramount lost Marvel to Disney, any even distribution of franchises among the major studios was disrupted. However, Sony’s reported $7M acquisition of Marvel’s Spider-Man franchise back in 1998 has continued to pay off, no more evident than this weekend as Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse posted an exceptional and $120.5M opening — one which tracking didn’t see coming, but exhibition did– making it the best start for a summer tentpole YTD, the third best opening for a Spider-Man movie….

Also:

Reports EntTelligence on admissions this morning for Spider-Verse: “The film is estimated to pull in well over 9M patrons this weekend.  (Aside from Super Mario, this is the most attended three-day period for a film since last summer)”.

Doesn’t sound like just fanboys to me…

• Like 4

Just now, JustWatching said:

Also:

I think it'll recover well today. But,, the question becomes, when losing all PLFs this weekend with such a muted Saturday bump even with summer days barely starting here, how big will it drop next weekend. I'd think 50%+ might be locked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Man I can't get over the ATSV soundtrack, this song has been on loop all day for me 

The score is amazing, lots of variety, too, and it goes exceptionally well with the visuals 

• Like 2

I know a lot of people here expected more from Across the Spider-Verse but a $120.5m OW is huge for this movie and a major win. This is a major win for animation, for adult animation and for comic book movies. It also speaks volumes on how loved the first Spider-Verse was. Honestly it could not have happened to a better movie. The first one made $35m OW and $190m DOM while this one will double that, it is a huge accomplishment. It also reinforces that audiences still want to pay for animated movies (if Mario was considered an outlier by some) and for comic book movies, as long as they are good, which tbh its a win win scenario for us. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Also:

Reports EntTelligence on admissions this morning for Spider-Verse: “The film is estimated to pull in well over 9M patrons this weekend.  (Aside from Super Mario, this is the most attended three-day period for a film since last summer)”.

BPWF made $153M for TruFSS, have a difficult time believing that was fewer than 9M admits 

As for the broader point, my working comp for legs has always been Minions 2, which finished at ~$370M off a (July 4 inflated) first week of $165M (2.24x).  ATSV probably hits $170M+ for first week, so $400M is in play if it legs out a little better 

EDIT: GOTG3 is probably going to finish above 2.3x OWeek, so that comp works too 

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AN9815 said:

I know a lot of people here expected more from Across the Spider-Verse but a $120.5m OW is huge for this movie and a major win. This is a major win for animation, for adult animation and for comic book movies. It also speaks volumes on how loved the first Spider-Verse was. Honestly it could not have happened to a better movie. The first one made $35m OW and $190m DOM while this one will double that, it is a huge accomplishment. It also reinforces that audiences still want to pay for animated movies (if Mario was considered an outlier by some) and for comic book movies, as long as they are good, which tbh its a win win scenario for us. 

Oh, it's awesome. Hoping the Saturday number doesn't signify a multi under 3. Still thinking 3.5. Thinking maybe overwhelming demand early given the jump in sales resulted in a little muted Saturday number and it'll stabilize and then some for 400M+ DOM total.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Soundtrack is pretty meh. Score is awesome though. I love that song too.

By soundtrack I mean the score

The vocal songs were serviceable but Daniel Pemberton's tracks steal the show for me, Gwen's leitmotif, the chase sequence + train sequence, the spot's theme, the entire last 20 minutes where the tension just kept building and building along with the music. Gorgeous stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

By soundtrack I mean the score

The vocal songs were serviceable but Daniel Pemberton's tracks steal the show for me, Gwen's leitmotif, the chase sequence + train sequence, the spot's theme, the entire last 20 minutes where the tension just kept building and building along with the music. Gorgeous stuff.

Yeah. I loved it too. Thought it elevated the film honestly. Score was married perfectly with the visual treat on display.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Man I can't get over the ATSV soundtrack, this song has been on loop all day for me 

Hard agree on this track. I wasn't even a huge fan of the movie overall (I walked out liking it but never fully getting invested into the story in the way I hoped I would) but this has been looping in my head as I've studied for my last uni exam this semester. Especially the transition from ominous to triumphant about 2:30 in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Intel trolls don't matter. They probably don't even know how to see a movie in theaters or behave in a normal society anyway.

Next weekend the only competition is Transformers which is gonna tank so TLM doesn't have any excuse to not have a good hold.

It's gonna lose the other 1/2 of its PLF showings, so it does have a little excuse.

With Spidey doing so well, Mermaid's probably also gonna lose more showings/screens than if Spidey hadn't gone so big, b/c theaters are just gonna be tight.  I see Mario finally getting the drop along with the non-performing Mem Day openers and possibly Fast X, too, depending on the market, but at some point, showings and screens gotta give on a good performer (so it may be a drop "GOTG 3 or drop a screen's worth of Mermaid" situation)...

• Like 1