kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Weekend Estimates | 120.5M SPIDER-MAN: ATSV | 40.6M TLM | 12.3M THE BOOGEYMAN | 10.2M GOTG III

19 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think it'll recover well today. But,, the question becomes, when losing all PLFs this weekend with such a muted Saturday bump even with summer days barely starting here, how big will it drop next weekend. I'd think 50%+ might be locked.

Could be, but the way CBMs in general have been playing (Guardians 3 excepted) I’d take anything in the 50s as a win.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I know a lot of people here expected more from Across the Spider-Verse but a $120.5m OW is huge for this movie and a major win. This is a major win for animation, for adult animation and for comic book movies. It also speaks volumes on how loved the first Spider-Verse was. Honestly it could not have happened to a better movie. The first one made $35m OW and $190m DOM while this one will double that, it is a huge accomplishment. It also reinforces that audiences still want to pay for animated movies (if Mario was considered an outlier by some) and for comic book movies, as long as they are good, which tbh its a win win scenario for us. 

#1 DOM OW of the summer - I'm thrilled.  

Would I have liked higher - sure!  But a win's a win, and highest supers open of the summer for an animated that opened to $35M in its 1st version, and outopening the biggest hyped movie going into 2023, GOTG 3, - win, win, win!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

Updated diagnostics on Spider-Verse: an A CinemaScore (surprise, surprise) which still isn’t bad next to Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse‘s A+. An 82% definite recommendation from Comscore/Screen Engine PostTrak audiences 

82% definite recommend is same as Avatar 2 and Mario, which come to me as a surprise because the word-of-mouth I feel in my social circle seem stronger. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

By soundtrack I mean the score

The vocal songs were serviceable but Daniel Pemberton's tracks steal the show for me, Gwen's leitmotif, the chase sequence + train sequence, the spot's theme, the entire last 20 minutes where the tension just kept building and building along with the music. Gorgeous stuff.

Since I already knew about the nature of the movie's ending, I was getting super hyped along with the  closing music and entire build-up. Seems like the better way to experience the movie honestly, I thought it was an amazing ending. The rest of my cinema was mostly clueless about the ending and I figure some of them were more disappointed

Edited by Dephira

ATSV OW is great and summer will spread out demand so weekdays drops will be good. So no need to panic if Saturdays don't go stratospheric. Seasonal boxoffice is seasonal boxoffice.

TLM's OS hold is the story here. It's running on European fumes basically but stable market has a lot of gas and it shows in the small drop. China who?

It also held well dom in the wake of a strong competitor. 

• Like 4

Well we can blame racists incels and whatever but the fact is TLM dropped 58 percent which means out of ts target audience more then half either didn't go back or didn't go back often.

300 domestic is almost out of the question unless im way off. At a budget of 250 million and a disappointing international take this is gonna be a flop.

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 3

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

ATSV OW is great and summer will spread out demand so weekdays drops will be good. So no need to panic if Saturdays don't go stratospheric. Seasonal boxoffice is seasonal boxoffice.

TLM's OS hold is the story here. It's running on European fumes basically but stable market has a lot of gas and it shows in the small drop. China who?

It also held well dom in the wake of a strong competitor. 

Not just Europe else it would be even lower. Basically every territory that opened fairly close to Aladdin is playing fine. So Most of Europe and Latam and even a select few Asian territories (Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia etc). 

The markets that left it for dead stayed dead. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, screambaby said:

Well we can blame racists incels and whatever but the fact is TLM dropped 58 percent which means out of ts target audience more then half either didn't go back or didn't go back often.

300 domestic is almost out of the question unless im way off. At a budget of 250 million and a disappointing international take this is gonna be a flop.

58% is totally normal in the wake of a big competitor. Please wait for weekdays and later weekends when movies stabilize before professing doom and gloom. Everyone who understand how summer boxoffice works said to manage Saturday increase expectations for all movies cause weekdays siphon out some of demand. Monday drops will be softer, etc. 

3 minutes ago, ogkalu said:

Not just Europe else it would be even lower. Basically every territory that opened fairly close to Aladdin is playing fine. So Most of Europe and Latam and even a select few Asian territories (Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia etc). 

Good point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, screambaby said:

300 domestic is almost lit of the question unless in way off. At a budget of 250 million and a disappointing international take this is gonna be a flop.

Not sure what are you talking about, it held just slightly worse than Aladdin (53.2% vs 57.5%) which faced off against 47M+ OW while TLM was against 120M+. Drops are not that dissimilar when taking into account competition. Next week, with only Transformers opening hold should be significantly better. 300M is definitely still on the table, I'm thinking at the moment TLM finishes between 315-320M DOM. With no direct competition for it's demo over the next month, closest would be Elemental, which in it's own right could flop or worse. I'm expecting strong legs through the summer.

OS it dropped only 34%, with great holds in Europe which tends to be leggy compared to other markets. Latin America has been playing pretty well as well. Japan has yet to open so we'll see what happens. 600M WW isn't out of the question.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, ogkalu said:

The thing is, can the markets that the movie is holding up fine or close to Aladdin take the movie to +$600m WW?

Edited by AN9815

1 hour ago, ringedmortality said:

isn’t that just a so-so PTA for Past Lives?

It's the fourth best PTA post-pandemic, behind Licoice Pizza, Beau Is Afraid and Spider-Man No Way Home. Also, from the same number of theaters, it's well ahead of The Banshees of Inisherin, Tar and The Fabelmans. And it did that without any big names attached. In this Era, it's a great PTA.

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Not sure what are you talking about, it held just slightly worse than Aladdin (53.2% vs 57.5%) which faced off against 47M+ OW while TLM was against 120M+. Drops are not that dissimilar when taking into account competition. Next week, with only Transformers opening hold should be significantly better. 300M is definitely still on the table, I'm thinking at the moment TLM finishes between 315-320M DOM. With no direct competition for it's demo over the next month, closest would be Elemental, which in it's own right could flop or worse. I'm expecting strong legs through the summer.

OS it dropped only 34%, with great holds in Europe which tends to be leggy compared to other markets. Japan has yet to open so we'll see what happens. 600M WW isn't out of the question.

Would 600 be the break even point?