Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

I can't believe there are TWO consecutive Marvel movies next year banking on Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Who knows, maybe it'll work and finally get me to finish that show.

Awful show, but same writer is doing the cap film so idk. The other film’s written by the beef guy though, so maybe…

Zaslav destroyed CNN completely, diluted the valuable HBO brand, and has yet to have a single one of the genius ideas he is hyped up for in terms of actual content and innovation for either movies/TV or news divisions. His cuts have returned temporary value to shareholders but unless he finds a way to generate lasting content in both entertainment and news then the company is fucked.

• Like 8

Just now, TMP said:

Awful show, but same writer is doing the cap film so idk. The other film’s written by the beef guy though, so maybe…

Beef is the best show of the year (honestly maybe the best Netflix show ever?) and all the writer/director/star doing Thunderbolts is the one thing making me curious about it but even THAT doesn't make me genuinely excited. That team is such a wet fart line up.

• Like 4

What's become clear is that for all the energy invested in having an extended universe, their films that most rely on some interconnectivity have been their biggest failures.

This and Justice League are the two movies that most relied on a shared universe. Combined , these two films will likely make less than Wonder Woman, which succeeded by just focusing on that singular character, and not much above Aquaman.

When you look at the DCEU, it's hard to look at it and say that we're lucky we have it, otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten X story out of it. It feels like it has existed simply to have had existed, because it was important to tell investors.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

I can't believe there are TWO consecutive Marvel movies next year banking on Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Who knows, maybe it'll work and finally get me to finish that show.

I genuinely believe that there’s more to that. I actually think that Marvel Studios indeed got the rights for a new Hulk film days ago, hence why The Incredible Hulk got released on Disney Plus yesterday. The master plan might actually building the blocks to a World War Hulk event, which would be amazing. It seems very focused on the whole aspect of the MCU of trying to militarize superhumans, with the US government trying to recreate the super soldier formula.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Zaslav destroyed CNN completely, diluted the valuable HBO brand, and has yet to have a single one of the genius ideas he is hyped up for in terms of actual content and innovation for either movies/TV or news divisions. His cuts have returned temporary value to shareholders but unless he finds a way to generate lasting content in both entertainment and news then the company is fucked.

The only thing he's done to make MAX valuable is cut a crap ton of content and fire a lot of people. Not a single one of his projects has been successful. The Idol is a show he himself said was heavily involved in, it's a critical and financial failure in every way shape and form.

All his hype projects have also been delayed indefinitely because of the writers strike which is something he disrespects daily.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's no evidence of this BTW.

Tbh The Marvels has a more uphill battle in understanding on who is in there from streaming. Kamala and Monica just appear out of nowhere to the blind eye whereas Endgame and Black Widow introduced the eyes of Falcon being Captain America with old man Steve giving him the Shield and Yelena living up to Natasha’s legacy. Apart for Isaiah Bradley and Val, I don’t think any show characters from the show returning and they can be explained via exposition and don’t have powers to confuse.

• Like 4

I don't think that's true at all.  HBO is still HBO. It's still the king of Sunday nights. It's still the home of premium TV whether that was House of the Dragon,  The Last of Us,  Succession,  and I think he knows that.   So what if 'The Idol' isn't good.  It's not damaging the HBO brand and honestly, the Discovery integration into the Max app hasn't really changed much.  HBO is still front and center on the app.  

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

There's no evidence of this BTW.

We shall see. HBO has been the industry's gold standard for quality for two decades plus and now it's all mixed up in whatever bullshit they have planned for Max. Zaslav has indeed returned temporary profits due aesthetic changes and cuts. That definitely juices stock price for now. But over the long term, content is king. And they don't really have that outside of a couple very expensive HBO shows.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The rebranding of MAX was precisely to avoid diluting it though? HBO MAX, even before Zaslav, was filled to the brim with pointless content that was never worth the HBO name. If he wanted to protect the HBO brand, renaming the streaming service seemed like a good idea.

Also, The Idol can hardly be put 100% on Zaslav. The person most involved with its creation and development would be Casey Bloys, who's also been responsible for HBO's biggest hits. He banked on The Idol because Casey banked on it.  You think the solution would be to cut Casey too? You win some, you lose some. It's part of the game. 

Edited by 21C

We all know that in 2025, Zaslav is going to sell WB the first chance he gets, lets just see how bad he will damage the brand before then. The slot in 2024 doesn't seem like it'll produce a single big hit aside from Joker 2 and that's if these films don't get delayed because of the writers strike.

Just saw a review for flash on YouTube and he states 'just saw the new batman film but sadly it had an hour long trailer for the flash attached'

He was actually joking...he liked the movie but I wonder if this is  how it's actually playing woth audiences 

Jmo

• Haha 1

We shall see. HBO has been the industry's gold standard for quality for two decades plus and now it's all mixed up in whatever bullshit they have planned for Max. Zaslav has indeed returned temporary profits due aesthetic changes and cuts. That definitely juices stock price for now. But over the long term, content is king. And they don't really have that outside of a couple very expensive HBO shows.

Don't WB have the most amount of content on TV than any other studio? HBO still puts out their one or two shows per week. Nothing has really changed here.