Eric Burnett

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

15 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

I don't think GA have strong feelings about franchises like that. My assumption is that GA do not "hate" the DCEU, they just couldn't really care less. Its not a brand that will get butts in seats by itself

I feel like just "not really caring" about a cinematic universe like DCEU probably hurts it more then it would a normal franchise. If the audience doesn't feel invested in the whole of it, they'll be more likely to just not bother with individual entries they may have liked because they feel they won't understand what's going on

Aquaman came out at the true peak of comic book films.

This was after Infinity War and four months before Endgame. All comic book films had enhanced awareness as the genre was truly part of the cultural zeitgeist. Aquaman, like other CBMs, had inflated box office numbers due to this.

Now, we have the opposite scenario. There's lower interest in the genre as much of the general audience has moved on to other things. 

No need for complicated answers. It really is thid simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My predictions for upcoming Superher movies 

Blue Beatles : 60m/170m

The Marvels : 80m/200m

Aquaman 2 : 65m/200m

CAP 4 : 90m/220m

Thunderbolts : 70m/180m

I expect Blue Beatles to be decent to good. That will help it stand out.

• ...wtf 1

7 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Tranfosrmers actually outgrossing Flash :sparta:

I'm still reading through this...but it warms my heart that I called all of those 3 better (Flash, Spidey, and Elementals) than EC this year:)...

A little distance from the industry sometimes is a help...

Edited by TwoMisfits

9 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Warner Bros. about to have four Dark Phoenixes this year with the DCEU.

The fall of WB and Disney is just on another level

They do get success here and there but overall they both are struggling while Universal, Sony and Paramount are winning 

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

They do get success here and there but overall they both are struggling while Universal, Sony and Paramount are winning 

Reversal of the 2010s honestly. WB and Disney were on top in the 2010s with Universal in 3rd, now it's reversed though Universal's stood in the top 3.

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm honestly starting to agree with you on that topic. Dump Aquaman in January, send The Color Purple to February (Black History Month) now that Marvel vacated that spot, and give the prime holiday slot to Dune. The big challenge of course is the Wonka prequel movie in December also starring Little Timmy, but that can work well on November too.

Dune has the PEREFCT spot right now.  It opens alone on Nov 3, a spot that has gone huge in the past.  It has almost no competition coming into its weekend, with the Halloween horrors normally instant wash outs.  It will get ALL PLF (and can do some of those "early" PLF shows Wed before open).  It will get HUGE showing sets.  And THEN, it will have a 2nd weekend that will be a holiday weekend and it will be around for the Thanksgiving week.  All while weather will not be an issue.  

As an adult-based blockbuster, it can't really get better.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I'll give mine:

Blue Beetle: 25m/70m

The Marvels: 115m/300m

Aquaman 2: 65m/220m

Deadpool 3: 185m/430m

Cap 4: 95m/240m

Thunderbolts: 60m/230m 

1 hour ago, FunkMiller said:

I'm honestly not sure how much all the Ezra controversy has factored into it. Let's face it, people are more than willing to see movies starring actors with dubious personal lives. Cruise's attachment to scientology, and everything that goes with it (sexual and physical abuse the most heinous) has never seemed to affect his box office.

I maintain the absolute biggest factor in Flash's demise is the fact the audience hates the DCEU. Absolutely hates it.

Cruise has never PERSONALLY been attached or done any of it.  It's a huge difference to folks if you're the actual perp or not...

PS - Ezra will struggle to lead any future big budget movie after this, just like Majors.  If you literally assault/enslave women, they are not forgiving...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I'll give mine:

Blue Beetle: 25m/70m

The Marvels: 115m/300m

Aquaman 2: 65m/220m

Deadpool 3: 185m/430m

Cap 4: 95m/240m

Thunderbolts: 60m/230m 

This would be really good outcome for MCU

Did you mean 90m OW for Thunderbolts cause otherwise a crazy multiplier

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Cruise has never PERSONALLY been attached or done any of it.  It's a huge difference to folks if you're the actual perp or not...

This

Cruise does all the shady things behind the scenes. Publicly, he is very much loved and adored.

22 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Blue Beatle: $200M

The Marvels: $500M

Aquaman 2: $750M

Cap 4: $450M

Thunderbolts: $350M

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Universal, Sony, and Paramount have released a total of 15 BO flops combined this year so far.

The BO is not in a healthy place at all. It's still in recovery.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

This would be really good outcome for MCU

Did you mean 90m OW for Thunderbolts cause otherwise a crazy multiplier

It's releasing during the holidays so I think it will affect its opening weekend but give the movie nice legs. 

For deciding on biggest weekend bomb:

Elementals production budget $200M

Flash production budget - choose your adventure, but $200-$220M is Wiki's take

A Disney head stepped down this week and Pixar folks got laid off last week, so Disney probably saw this coming.  I'm not sure WB did, so look for heads to roll from them this week.