Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Bolts is Christmas.

1 minute ago, AN9815 said:

It's releasing during the holidays so I think it will affect its opening weekend but give the movie nice legs. 

Makes sense

Forgot about that 

In good news, a weekend like this one will probably let Disney get a little more mileage out of GOTG 3 and Mermaid than they might otherwise have gotten.  Flash and Elementals will have a lot of screens/showings to give up before you ever have to think of dropping something...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

The fall of WB and Disney is just on another level

They do get success here and there but overall they both are struggling while Universal, Sony and Paramount are winning 

Paramount: Babylon, Dungeons and Dragons, Paws of Fury

Universal: Spirit Untamed, Easter Sunday, Renfield, and (soon) Ruby Gillman.

Sony: Morbius, Devotion, I Wanna Dance With Somebody, etc.

They might not have as many recent Ls as Disney and WB, but they're not exactly in that much of a better spot. The box office is still recovering.

Edited by JWR
  • Like 5

If this was truly just a fatal miscalculation because of very misleading test-screenings and not intentional lies from WB and paid scoopers, WB should change their test-audiences completely and never invite them ever again, just blacklist those people. It clearly didn't work like a crowdpleaser at all, just a total rejection. And all the issues the film has are glaring and not really subjective, you would have to be delusional to see the film and pretend it doesn't have some serious issues.

2 minutes ago, JWR said:

Will this lead to the movie profiting? Probably not. But, it shows that the movie will have more staying power than Lightyear. 

Best case scenario for Elemental is not bombing as hard as The Flash, neither are gonna break even but Elemental could do well OS. Something like 130:160 for 290m WW for The Flash versus 120:200 for Elemental and maybe it can come close to break-even on streaming. At least the marketing budget should be less than Flash's lmao.

• Like 1

Bummer for the box office this weekend. Caught Flash and it's fun in spurts and I like that it was trying to be Back to the Future and Men in Black but mostly just didn't work for me. Some parts worked well though. But, yeah, I don't I expect super strong word of mouth for this one. 

1 minute ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Best case scenario for Elemental is not bombing as hard as The Flash, neither are gonna break even but Elemental could do well OS. Something like 130:160 for 290m WW for The Flash versus 120:200 for Elemental and maybe it can come close to break-even on streaming. At least the marketing budget should be less than Flash's lmao.

Yeah. My optimistic prediction is that Elemental proves that the Pixar brand still has some strength among families and that it's an important stepping stone for future movies to be more successful.

Maybe it'll have a second life on streaming and make some profit via home video sales.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AJG said:

Universal, Sony, and Paramount have released a total of 15 BO flops combined this year so far.

The BO is not in a healthy place at all. It's still in recovery.

Just to go further on this:

Universal have produced 4 flops this year - most of the movies they only distributed also flopped

Paramount have produced 3 flops this year

Sony have produced 4 flops this year - most of the movies they only distributed also flopped

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Can we NOT take EmpireShitty's "advance evaluations" seriously anymore? It's one thing to evaluate based on tracking/logic alone but he clearly doesn't do that.

Not sure many ever put a ton of stock into his way out projections. More so his number reporting and closer to OW and during the actually run projections.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not sure many ever put a ton of stock into his way out projections. More so his number reporting and closer to OW and during the actually run projections.

In this case his closer predictions conflicted pretty strongly with the actual tracking though. At least for the last 3 weeks before release or so.