Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

12 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians... The real MVP this summer blockbuster season and it was the first one to release for the summer blockbuster season. It's a word of mouth monster. Should well this weekend too. Then, probably double features with Indy 5 to boost it a bit and of course it'll get a nice late bump for the week of the 4th of July then be done. But, still, looking like maybe as high as 365M+ is possible DOM with these late legs.

It also helps it's the best of all these movies no matter what critics say. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Spider Verse definitely. Summer days have been great to it. It'll stabilize and still likely get to 400M+ DOM... That said, not the insane legs many had hoped for and audience reception is remarkable. Thinking this series has a ceiling that's maybe 25M~ higher DOM than whatever Across finishes will. 

Yeah, Beyond isn't sniffing 1B. OS kinda doesn't care for AtSV. It's really a dom player but not a global event. Also, it plays like a SH movie dom not like a family movie so Mario craziness didn't happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

DC rankings for the last decade (I have not seen the Flash):

Best movies:

Wonder Woman

Joker

The Batman

Good movies:

Shazam

Black Adam

The Suicide Squad

Man of Steel (although I still hate the tanker moment - that's why this isn't at the top of good)

Shazam 2

Not So Good movies:

Aquaman

Birds of Prey

Justice League

Wonder Woman 2

Want to Stab My Eyes Out So I Never, Ever See Them Again:

Suicide Squad

BvS

Notice, 2 of the best 3 movies are NOT DCU...

Best movie:

the Batman 

joker

>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>$$

Good:

suicide squad

mos

ok:

shazam

wonder woman(overrated as fuck)

bad:

Bvs

shazam

awful:

Shazam2

suicide squad 2016

justice league

Birds of prey

Aquabro:

Aquaman

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is there a reason Spider Verse isn’t seeing the same jump from the first film internationally as it is in the US? 

yes, it's an animated Spiderman. Not the same thing as live action Spiderman aka true Spiderman. It's for relatively niche audience. OS GA waits for the real (live action) one. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Asteriod City is the only bright spot of this long weekend. The first $100k PTA since Uncut Gems in 2019, without the help of Arclight cinema.

A $50 ticket option will help with that (one of Asteroid City's theaters is offering a pricier "premium experience" for some of its showtimes). Also they're counting "AMC Burbank" as one location for some reason, when it's actually playing at three different AMCs in Burbank (plus five other NY/LA theaters).  Seems like a bit of a cheat on the per theater average?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

A $50 ticket option will help with that (one of Asteroid City's theaters is offering a pricier "premium experience" for some of its showtimes). Also they're counting "AMC Burbank" as one location for some reason, when it's actually playing at three different AMCs in Burbank (plus five other NY/LA theaters).  Seems like a bit of a cheat on the per theater average?

What was the premium experience anyway 

1 hour ago, TigerPaw said:

The latest transformers was terrible IMO; not sure how it got the A- cinemascore honestly. Weekend drop tells the tale...

I don't think the weekend drop is anything indicative of word of mouth. There is a hardcore fan base for Transformers just like any other film. They all came out first weekend. I believe the A- cinema score. I know about a half dozen people who have seen it said it was pretty good.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

73% male? I know that those showings have to be the funkiest showings ever with all of those neckbeards congregating in one theater 

On one hand: this comes from Previews so you'd expect gender split to drop let's say ~5% through overall weekend.

On the other hand: WB is pretty explicitly NOT releasing followup age data to counteract awful initial demo splits which makes me think this isn't reverting to mean. 

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes, it's an animated Spiderman. Not the same thing as live action Spiderman aka true Spiderman. It's for relatively niche audience. OS GA waits for the real (live action) one. 

Not just animated, but also black. Overseas audiences are generally less receptive to black-led movies than America.

• Like 2

Chart as of Sunday AM

1.) The Flash (WB) 4,234 theaters Fri $24.5M,Sat $15.7M Sun $14.9M Mon $8.9M 3-day $55.1M, 4-day $64M/Wk 1

2.) Elemental (Dis) 4,035 theaters, Fri $11.8M, Sat $9.8M Sun $7.9M Mon $3.83M 3-day $29.5M, 4-day $33.3M/Wk 1

3) Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse (Sony) 3,873 (-459) theaters, Fri $8.1M Sat $10.1M Sun $9.5M $4.6M 3-day $27.8M (-50%)/4-day $32.4M Total $285M/Wk 3

4.) Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (Par) 3,680 (+2) theaters, Fri $5.2M, Sat $7.5M Sun $7.2M Mon $3M 3-day $20M (-67%), 4-day $23M, Total $103.6M /Wk 2

5.) The Little Mermaid (Dis) 3,480 (-840) theaters, Fri $3.7M Sat $4.4M Sun $3.5M Mon $1.74M 3 day $11.6M (-50%), 4-day $13.3M Total $255.2M/Wk 4

6.) The Blackening (LG) 1,775 theaters, Fri $2.5M Mon $1M 3-day $6M, 4-day $7M/Wk 1

7.) Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Dis), 2,260 (-915) theaters, Fri $1.3M Sat $1.85M Sun $1.85M Mon $750K 3-day $5M (-31%), 4-day $5.75M Total $345.1M/ Wk 7

8.) The Boogeyman (20th/Dis) 2,140 (-1,065) theaters, Fri $1.2M, Sat $1.45M Sun $1.15M Mon $550K 3-day $3.8M (-46%), 4-day $4.35M/Total $33.1M/ Wk 3

9.) Fast X (Uni) 1,500 (-1,272) theaters Fri $540K Sat $760K Sun $720K Mon $320K 3-day $2M (-62%) 4-day $2.3M Total $142.7M/ Wk 5

10) Andripurush (Telegu) 550 theaters, Fri $1.4M, Sat $330K, Sun $220K, Mon $110K, 3-day $1.95M, 4-day $2M/Wk 1