Eric Prime

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

It's really hard to overstate how bad this weekend has been. We'll need to see actuals and the reporting for a lot of the smaller films, but, this weekend is going to be around the same as last weekend for total box office it seems. That's despite having three new wide releases, two of which being $200M blockbusters that carried big expectations. Plus, it's a long weekend, and fathers day as well.

The amount of screens that the new releases took up resulted in the drops being harsher on the holdovers as well.

Just horrible all around. I wonder how it's been for theatres. They likely were expecting bigger crowds and may have overstaffed in preparation. For anyone working a theatre this weekend, I'd be curious as to how the vibe has been.

• Like 1

Can some one please put box office mojo out of its misery. I haven’t been on the site in years but I wanted to see what the top 10 for the year looked like. I went to the domestic list for 2023 and first of all, I had to change it from calander gross to yearly gross but the site is showing Antman as the #4 film of the year and the little mermaid as having only grossed 145 million dollars. 

What a waste of server space.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Is there a reason Spider Verse isn’t seeing the same jump from the first film internationally as it is in the US? 

Spoiler

Because Miles is Black.

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 3

Elemental gets an “A” CinemaScore plus good PostTrak exits of 85% positive and 68% recommend. Kids under 12 liked it at 92% positive, 62% recommend. We knew it was always mom-leaning, with 63% women showing up and 66% between 18-34. Great diversity mix with 32% Latino/Hispanic, 30% Caucasian, 25% Asian/other, and 13% Black. Elemental played strongest in the middle of the country and the West. Elemental had a few PLFs driving 6% of weekend tickets sales, while 3D is repping close to 17%. The El Capitan in Hollywood is the top-grossing theater with north of $41K so far (including previews).  

Lionsgate’s The Blackening did $2.5M on Friday for what will be $6M over 3-days in 6th place at 1,775 theaters. The Tim Story-directed horror comedy gets a  B+ CinemaScore and PostTrak of 81% positive, and a 64% recommend. 50/50 male-female draw with 60% between 18-34 years old, and the largest demo being 18-24 at 31%. The audience mix was 27% White, 14% Latino, 53% Black, & 5% Asian/Other. Blackening played strongest in the East, South & Midwest. 

I find so amusing how some show a necessity of underplaying Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. It’s not really about praising Across the Spider-Verse, really, it’s about taking Vol. 3 down a notch lol. Both films are enjoying fantastic runs. Both films are amazing and the best blockbusters I’ve watched in a good while, arguably two of the best of the superhero genre - without getting Tom Cruise or Stephen King to say it. I’ve been well-fed this year. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yes, it's an animated Spiderman. Not the same thing as live action Spiderman aka true Spiderman. It's for relatively niche audience. OS GA waits for the real (live action) one. 

If anyone among GA really thinks like that, they are incredibly foolish. This animated Spiderman is far and away better than current live action one.

• Like 1

That $64M 4-day number is from WB? Really curious how they're justifying that 40% Monday drop. After a 5% Sunday drop that might already be optimistic. Am I missing something?

It could struggle to hit $60M 4-day if it drops similarly to Lightyear last year (which also had Father's Day + Juneteenth)

A great blaze here at arthouses, as Focus Features’ Wes Anderson movie, Asteroid City, is posting a massive $132K theater average — the best post pandemic, as the pic is set to do $790K at six NYC and LA Theaters and $890K over the four-day. The Tom Hanks, Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Jeff Goldblum, Edward Norton ensemble is booked at the newly reopened Sunset 5, which Landmark took over, AMC Centurty City, AMC Burbank, Angelika NY, Alamo Brooklyn, AMC LSQ. Good news for arthouse in L.A. The Landmark Sunset 5 led the pack (a full theatre takeover) with an impressive $80K on Friday alone (Pic’s total Friday was $350K).

Honestly, I'm at a loss for how bad Flash is doing. Who had Flash opening under Transformers on their bingo card? Certainly not me. Outside of a few exceptions just about every major release has underperformed so far this year. Studios need to really rethink their streaming strategy. Disney and WB in particular because audiences are catching on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I find so amusing how some show a necessity of underplaying Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3. It’s not really about praising Across the Spider-Verse, really, it’s about taking Vol. 3 down a notch lol. Both films are enjoying fantastic runs. Both films are amazing and the best blockbusters I’ve watched in a good while, arguably two of the best of the superhero genre - without getting Tom Cruise or Stephen King to say it. I’ve been well-fed this year. 

7prp1t.jpg

Yeah I don't get the drama lol

• Like 5
  • Heart 2

6 minutes ago, vafrow said:

It's really hard to overstate how bad this weekend has been. We'll need to see actuals and the reporting for a lot of the smaller films, but, this weekend is going to be around the same as last weekend for total box office it seems. That's despite having three new wide releases, two of which being $200M blockbusters that carried big expectations. Plus, it's a long weekend, and fathers day as well.

The amount of screens that the new releases took up resulted in the drops being harsher on the holdovers as well.

Just horrible all around. I wonder how it's been for theatres. They likely were expecting bigger crowds and may have overstaffed in preparation. For anyone working a theatre this weekend, I'd be curious as to how the vibe has been.

Just to emphasize how bad it is. This weekend had a holiday boost and holds were still poor . Expect TLM and elemental to rise up a bit with actuals though.

If this was a normal weekend. Ohh boy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Lionsgate’s The Blackening did $2.5M on Friday for what will be $6M over 3-days in 6th place at 1,775 theaters. The Tim Story-directed horror comedy gets a  B+ CinemaScore and PostTrak of 81% positive, and a 64% recommend. 50/50 male-female draw with 60% between 18-34 years old, and the largest demo being 18-24 at 31%. The audience mix was 27% White, 14% Latino, 53% Black, & 5% Asian/Other. Blackening played strongest in the East, South & Midwest. 

Well at least one of the releases this weekend sorta performed decently.