Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I hope the suits over at Universal enjoy their sweet, sweet bonuses they'll get over having the biggest and sole billion dollar movie of the year. Between a ludicrously overcrowded summer and the rest of the year being filled with hard ceilings 2023 was always looking to be a disappointing year for exhibition. Hell, Mario making it to a billion is actually surprising considering video game movies usually have hard ceilings, with the previous top dog Warcraft topping out at $439M. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another billion dollar movie again until Avatar 3 in 2025.

I reckon Barbs, the MIs, Joker, Batman, Deadpool and even Minecraft are all possible contenders, I would be shocked if at least one of those didn't seal the deal.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

People saying that theaters are dead because of unappealing product like The Flash and Elemental? Lol

people are more picky about what they go out to see nowadays and that’s a good thing. Will force studios to try and make better and more appealing product 

I could care less about Flash or Elemental flopping. But that same picky, "I'll wait to see it at home" mentality means a movie like Good Will Hunting or Moneyball or True Grit or Michael Clayton never make 20m again, which means they stop getting released in theaters, which means eventually they stop making them of real quality. And those are the movies I care about.

People keep saying over and over it's because Flash and Elemental are unappealing product - but look at those movies I just listed, and tell me with a straight face they'd make any money nowadays. You can't. And they're definitely fucking appealing product.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The way Barbie is so poised to be an epic breakout that everyone is “shocked” over like Mario… literally all the pieces are in place right now. 

I mean everybody was expecting Mario to be a big hit. How big is subjective, but you act like people here expected it to do sub-100 and it’s honestly gotten kind of old.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Pixar needs to stop letting Peter Sohn direct movies.

He'll be lucky to get any TV jobs in the next decade or so.

That said, the word of mouth for Elemental from those who have seen it do make me want to give it a shot. There's a new theater in my province which opened earlier in the year that I haven't gone into yet. Maybe I should jump in on discount Wednesday for Elemental.

Just now, WorkingonaName said:

I reckon Barbs, the MIs, Joker, Batman, Deadpool and even Minecraft are all possible contenders, I would be shocked if at least one of those didn't seal the deal.

Nope

Maybe

Nope

Nope

Nope

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I could care less about Flash or Elemental flopping. But that same picky, "I'll wait to see it at home" mentality means a movie like Good Will Hunting or Moneyball or True Grit or Michael Clayton never make 20m again, which means they stop getting released in theaters, which means eventually they stop making them of real quality. And those are the movies I care about.

People keep saying over and over it's because Flash and Elemental are unappealing product - but look at those movies I just listed, and tell me with a straight face they'd make any money nowadays. You can't. And they're definitely fucking appealing product.

Michael Clayton was so fucking good and the only way Tony Gilroy's allowed to tell anything with a budget now is if he trojan horse's it into a star wars project lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric Prime said:

I mean everybody was expecting Mario to be a big hit. How big is subjective, but you act like people here expected it to do sub-100 and it’s honestly gotten kind of old.

Mario was seen more like a $600M-$700M worldwide hit than a billion dollar hit up until it opened. As I said earlier, video game movies usually have hard ceilings.

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

He'll be lucky to get any TV jobs in the next decade or so.

That said, the word of mouth for Elemental from those who have seen it do make me want to give it a shot. There's a new theater in my province which opened earlier in the year that I haven't gone into yet. Maybe I should jump in on discount Wednesday for Elemental.

He's mostly a lead animator.

Even if box office is just going to kind of suck overall this year, there’s still no way we’ll get through the whole summer without a big at least “semi-event” film. Spiderverse looked like maybe it would be that, but the legs have turned out to be very meh so far and it seems it has a very definite ceiling in terms of not being able to really catch fire with casuals.

So that leaves only two possible options: MI and Barbie. I think the laundry list of reasons why Barbie is the much better bet to be is too long, so I’m not gonna deep dive again. Suffice to say, as I mentioned, the pieces couldn’t be more in place now. Great reviews, and that thing is gonna explode. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

But this was an issue even before the pandemic. The 2019 Top 10 was pretty dire with just MCU, Disney live action remakes, WDAS/Pixar/Star Wars sequels,  and two murder clowns bringing up the rear.

Just now, TMP said:

Michael Clayton was so fucking good and the only way Tony Gilroy's allowed to tell anything with a budget now is if he trojan horse's it into a star wars project lol

Studios aren't really making mid budget prestige films nowadays. They'd rather lose 100M+ on The Flash than invest the Flash budget in several mid-budget movies. Make it make sense

9 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Naah man. It just happened to coincide with the Chapek era of clusterfuck management.

Though to be fair, if Chapek had never happened and Iger was handling DeSantis from the start, this dumb controversy wouldn't have occurred so maybe it's not a coincidence but yet another causal effect of Chapek's actions.

Disney Plus and the reliance on Disney Plus is all on Iger 

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

But this was an issue even before the pandemic. The 2019 Top 10 was pretty dire with just MCU, Disney live action remakes, WDAS/Pixar/Star Wars sequels,  and two murder clowns bringing up the rear.

I agree! Things are just accelerating. COVID was throwing gasoline onto sparks.

A movie like 1917 (which I didn't even really like) or Ford v Ferrari making what they did in 2023 would be an absolute fucking miracle

Edited by Cmasterclay