Eric is Quiet

Father’s Day/Juneteenth Weekend Thread | Flash implodes with 55M, Elemental bombs with 29M, holdovers hold atrociously | Theaters are dead, streaming is dead. Everything is dead really.

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Amazing how many times this has happened with DC movies since 2013, the only franchise to have this many critical and box office meldown inducing failures and keep on keeping on somehow. 

I don't care about the Flash one way or another but starting to get really concerned how dire the summer and rest of year looks at box office. Not even sure we are guaranteed a 200m domestic grosser outside Mission Impossible, which isn't quite lighting world on fire in presales. Theater business is still in a very, very precarious position.

On that big omnibus poll released by a polling firm a few weeks ago (included a Qs on summer films), MI was second oldest skewing film behind IJ. I suspect walkups are going to be larger. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Can I just this timeline is the worst timeline for DC fans? Ever since Marvel vs DC rivalry in 2010s, there isn't much moment for DC fans to celebrate, instead they got all the negativity. The community is so confused, toxic and dejected now, nothing much is moving in their favour outside of some casual hit like Aquaman and Joker. 

its always been like this for dc,the nolan films masked a studio that has been putting out mostly garbage since the late 90s

In terms of future $100M grossers, something will emerge to fill the void. We're clearly transitioning from the fan support for the big IPs that dominated the 2010s.

It might be misplaced optimism, but, I truly believe people want these big pop culture events to get behind and be talking about. 

If I could predict what, I wouldn't be posting on the internet, so I won't try to guess. 

I don't think any of them will challenge for $100M, but, I do feel like there's a handful of films still to come this summer, where the enthusiasm for them are pretty genuine, and we'll see things perform on the higher end. I know it's all internet memes for now, but people do truly feel excited for the Barbieheimer weekend. I think both films have people genuinely excited for them. 

Also, TMNT Mutant Mayhem has consistently gotten great responses as a trailer when I've seen it in theatres with a lot of kids. 

Also, I still feel MI7 will be solid.

Basically, I think there's enough films still to come this summer that'll leave a positive mark on the season and leave less doom and gloom.

12 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Wow at Elementals 

So Disney has now ruined: 

Pixar 

Star Wars 

superheroes 

its own animated classics 

Indiana Jones 

Am I missing anything? 

our lives

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Immediately following the screening, an executive from a competing studio gave The Flash backhanded compliments as a corrective to the commercial underperformance of the DCEU’s most recent entries: October’s Black Adam and the franchise-killing Shazam! Fury of the Gods. “Audiences want nostalgia, and they want feel-good. Execution is less important,” this exec said. “The Flash is like Spider-Man: No Way Home in that it has the right amount of nostalgia, which the fans love, and the right amount of feel-good. This is DC righting the ship.”

https://www.vulture.com/2023/04/the-flash-wows-cinemacon-and-gets-backhanded-compliments.html

guess not 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Can I just this timeline is the worst timeline for DC fans? Ever since Marvel vs DC rivalry in 2010s, there isn't much moment for DC fans to celebrate, instead they got all the negativity. The community is so confused, toxic and dejected now, nothing much is moving in their favour outside of some casual hit like Aquaman and Joker. 

The Batman last year.

It's amazing how many slam dunk properties are in some sort of death spiral or at least walking wounded. Star Wars, DC, Harry Potter, Pixar, Transformers, Disney animation, and yes, the MCU all taking on heavy water. Fast franchise ending and weaksauce, Jurassic World ended for a bit, Godzilla vs Kong box office novelty wasted during COVID, John Wick on hiatus, Disney out of obvious remakes, Conjuring probably done, Lord of the Rings show getting less eyes than White Lotus...yeesh. I was talking about this with another poster but the current IP to be mined is mostly just video games and Illumination shit. What new live action franchises did 2010-2019 produce? John Wick, Conjuring, and Quiet Place? Not exactly the murderer's row the 90s and 00s produced. 

Things could be about to get very, very bad. Or maybe the industry will actually make good new shit. I wish I trusted audiences to consume it.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Willowra said:

That could be because only hardcore fans of The Flash or DC in China might be watching it, which inflated the rating.

This makes sense to me. While the audience ratings are relatively high, the volume for the movie is not. 

WB's "Greatest Comic Book Movie Ever" Schtick was probably a mistake. It has sort of set up fan expectations too high and so people come out disappointed because they were expecting more. 

That being said, sub-200 DOM and sub-400 WW now appear realistic based on the early numbers both in terms of previews/first few days and audience ratings around the world. Seems to be alot of markets where it is underperforming and none where it is overperforming.

• Like 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

Honestly not bad considering the low theater count! I could see this pick up steam over the weekend - it's actually above the $850k Barbarian made, which granted was a fall release but WOM/reviews are similarly positive so it could get closer to $10m than we think.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Wait a minute, the PostTrak exits are so bad

Early audience PostTrak exits from Comscore/Screen Engine for The Flash shows 4 stars for general audiences and a 60% recommend and 3 1/2 for kids under 12 and 57% recommend. Remember Thursday night due to fans always has better, skewed exits.

Possible B CS incoming?!

Kids are literally free positive reivews. Yeah, either this is a weird sample size thing or this cinemascore is going to drop HARD. Through the friggin floor. I'd assume some degree of bounceback.

Other "under 12" scores

* ETERNALS -  Kids under 12 rated the film better with four stars and 90% positive, and a 65% definite recommend.

* Ant-Man 3 - 4.5 stars

* Multiverse of madness - Furthermore, kids under 12 gave the movie 5 stars, 

* Wakanda Forever 5 stars

* Superpets 4.5 stars

* Godzilla 2 - 5 stars from both parents and kids

* Shazam 1 - 4.5 stars (Shazam 1 had overall bad posttrak numbers to contrast with great cinemascore [it was so bad they didn't report the raw numbers until Shazam 2 dropped])

* Maleficient 2 - 52% recommend

* Hobbes and Shaw - 4.5 stars

* Rogue 1 - high 80s% recommend

* rise of beats - 90% positive/ 73% recommend. 

----

What did Ezra Miller ever do to 12 year olds to make them hate the flash so much?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

31 minutes ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

So they didn't make a crowd pleaser.

I figured after seeing the movie weeks ago that there were things in the third act that were probably going to turn off some people. Now my A- predict is looking optimistic, lol