Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

9 minutes ago, 21C said:

One director has had oscar-nominated films and has had a 20 year career of continous critical or box office succeses. That director is getting a movie that'll be 50-75 million dollars budget at most on an horror flick that'll be an entirely different beast from what Indiana Jones was.

The other one is one whose last film before The Flash was IT Chapter 2, and that one would be losing a 200 million BATMAN movie after making a 200 million dollar mega-flop that had Batman in all the marketing. 

The optics aren't weird at all. It's more than obvious for anybody why one would go and the other one wouldn't.  Mangold, who has shown to be more reliable than not, is keeping a project that's very low-risk on an IP no one cares too much about, while Muschietti, who at best has been shown to be 50/50 would be kicked out of a project that's extremely high-risk with WBD's most valuable IP. 

We'll see. I don't think Muschietti's a good idea on Batman but Gunn's been backing him so much that I could see him shielding him from Flash's implosion, even if it doesn't sound like a good idea. 

Not to mention TFA is one of the most immaculately executed blockbusters in the history of film. It doesn’t matter that the story was fairly routine and not breaking new ground, everything about the characters and plot beats were pulled off like a masterclass in big budget filmmaking. Moreover, there was fantastic setup with the characters plus a million bread crumbs in that movie to do interesting things with for a trilogy, and instead we get “subvert expectationsssss!!!” Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

We'll see. I don't think Muschietti's a good idea on Batman but Gunn's been backing him so much that I could see him shielding him from Flash's implosion, even if it doesn't sound like a good idea. 

I don't think Gunn has enough capital (nor incentive) to shield him that much, especially when Gunn's own reputation took a little bit of a hit because of him promoting The Flash as "one of the best superhero movies ever."

He could say "No, no, I promise this time things with Muschietti will be different!" and all he'd get in response is "Yeah but you also said The Flash was one of the best superhero movies ever." 

It's in Gunn's best interest to cut ties with Muschietti and put as much distance with The Flash as possible. Just leave this entire debacle behind. 

Edited by 21C

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The biggest crime of the Sequel Trilogy is getting a decent set up for the Knights of Ren and totally avoiding them.

TROS had something to work with. They were not completely painted in the corner.

I mean, kinda ironic to say that last bit when you’re complaining about the Knights of Ren threads TLJ flushed down the toilet… 

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

On the subject of SW and TLJ… I knew immediately the massive damage that movie would do (even though at the time you would have been told by many online that audiences “loved” it and only toxic trolls didnt). 6 years later has there ever truly been a blockbuster that left such a negative and rippling impact on a franchise, even so many media iterations later?

The thing about TLJ is it backed SW into a corner. People talk about “oh, well a lot of the damage is because ROS sucked so hard after TLJ too”, but ROS only sucked so hard BECAUSE of TLJ in the first place. There was absolutely nowhere to go from there, it felt like the ultimate troll move from Johnson and the real reason so many of us were so upset with the film.

Didn’t help either that RJ was a total instigator following that movie’s release and fanned a bazillion flame wars by refusing to acknowledge people’s legitimate issues and making it all a “toxic losers on the Internet” thing. Which was a very small vocal minority of the huge majority who hated several choices the movie made for the franchise for very valid reasons. And I will never really get over that movie for the way it made SW lose all its magic for me and just feel not fun anymore. It truly has never been any fun to discuss or be a fan of since then and it sucks. 

One could insert a different movie between TFA and TROS and could actually make TROS MUCH better than it was.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Damn I miss seeing a Will Smith movie on the Fourth of July as a kid. That was almost every year. Dude was a franchise in and of himself.

If it wasn't for Wild Wild West, it might have continued.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

One could insert a different movie between TFA and TROS and could actually make TROS MUCH better than it was.

Maybe so, but that just solidifies the point more so that TLJ had no place in that trilogy. It is its own thing in its own entirely separate franchise, and I think it’s shitty to go into making such a major franchise and trilogy with that kind of mindset, but that’s me. 

40 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

Some Christian thing starring QAnon supporter Jim Caviezel. It's apparently already made $7.2 million in presales, because America is terrible and bad.

Sound of Freedom was filmed in 2018. Content-wise it's probably not going to be on the "Wayfair cabinets" level of conspiracy as a movie, but it might appeal to people who believe in that sort of thing. Jim Caviezel is playing an actual person and the reality is not as flattering as the movie's portrayal will be, but that's nearly everything "based on a true story" in one way or another.

Angel Studios has a fascinating set up. I'm interested in seeing how big this one gets.

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Damn I miss seeing a Will Smith movie on the Fourth of July as a kid. That was almost every year. Dude was a franchise in and of himself.

The superhero genre needs saving so it's time for Hancock 2 I think.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean, kinda ironic to say that last bit when you’re complaining about the Knights of Ren threads TLJ flushed down the toilet… 

Why? Did TLJ kill off the Knights of Ren?

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Sound of Freedom was filmed in 2018. Content-wise it's probably not going to be on the "Wayfair cabinets" level of conspiracy as a movie, but it might appeal to people who believe in that sort of thing. Jim Caviezel is playing an actual person and the reality is not as flattering as the movie's portrayal will be, but that's nearly everything "based on a true story" in one way or another.

Angel Studios has a fascinating set up. I'm interested in seeing how big this one gets.

Human and child trafficking is not a conspiracy though. It's very real. 

Elemental…..

”Several markets saw increases including Korea (+41%), Australia (+39%), Germany (+18%), Brazil (+15%) and France (+5%) as well as Austria (+26%), Belgium (+19%), Switzerland (+12%), Malaysia (+12%), Czech Rep (+12%), Vietnam (+8%) and Peru (+1%)”

This is actually doing rather nicely after all the doom and gloom of OW. I guess word of mouth is doing wonders for it. 

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2