Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

The July tentpoles show more promise but June I think was just too disappointing to be redeemed, though maybe Elemental can save face if it continues to leg things out. I do think TMNT is being underestimated. 

Edited by AniNate

I know it’s easy to doom and gloom given the last few weeks, but last summer the big movies really carried the water and hid the weakness below them. For example, despite the month overall grossing $969M, the 5th highest grossing film released in June 2022 was:

The highs are not as high this year, but there is more volume to make up most of the difference, and again July should stack up well vs last year

Edited by M37
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, M37 said:

I know its easy to doom and gloom given the last few weeks, but last summer the big movies really carried the water and hid the weakness below them. For example, despite the month overall grossing $969M, the 5th highest grossing film released in June 2022 release was:

The highs are not as high this year, but there is more volume to make up most of the difference, and again July should stack up well vs last year

For sure, the number of releases is higher which is great. Sadly, it’s still lagging way behind pre-pandemic

The original animation factor is a good point with Elemental. The bar is just ridiculously low there though since covid, so it’s hard to call something like 400 ww for Pixar any kind of win. I think most are failing to comprehend just how insane a 29m OW in peak summer out of the clutches of the pandemic was. That pretty much should have been impossible and would have been had the brand not been damaged so badly.

People are dreaming if they think there wasn’t going to be natural course correction off of that unless WOM was toxic. My whole point is the movie can get 4-5x multi with ease off of simply “good” WOM bc that would have translated to your standard 3x multi if the film had any kind of hallways normal or respectable opening. We need it to leg out to 200+ DOM like Puss did before we can say for sure WOM was special. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The original animation factor is a good point with Elemental. The bar is just ridiculously low there though since covid, so it’s hard to call something like 400 ww for Pixar any kind of win. I think most are failing to comprehend just how insane a 29m OW in peak summer out of the clutches of the pandemic was. That pretty much should have been impossible and would have been had the brand not been damaged so badly.

People are dreaming if they think there wasn’t going to be natural course correction off of that unless WOM was toxic. My whole point is the movie can get 4-5x multi with ease off of simply “good” WOM bc that would have translated to your standard 3x multi if the film had any kind of hallways normal or respectable opening. We need it to leg out to 200+ DOM like Puss did before we can say for sure WOM was special. 

I agree with you.  Obviously, low opens can spawn great legs b/c you need to multiply a low number over and over...so, to be impressive, they'll still need to get to an impressive total...

• Thanks 1

It's doom and gloom for people who focus on negativity and ignore simple facts. Films misfired because they were simply not good. Movies with great WoM are performing well. Simple as that. Reality is that this summer will be stronger than last year's. We are only 2% behind despite last year having TGM. July and August will be definitely stronger. Three huge films are just about to open. Last summer box office was pretty much dead after BULLET TRAIN. This year there are some mid-level hits to come in August and potentially strong holdovers for MISSION BARBHEIMER. When all said and done, this is a good summer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So I’m watching Jaws for the umpteenth time.  It’s amazing how little fat is on this film.  The first beach scene is about 13 minutes in.  Quint is introduced within 20 minutes.  With a lot of  films today these scenes might not occur until 45 minutes to an hour into the film.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

It's doom and gloom for people who focus on negativity and ignore simple facts. Films misfired because they were simply not good. Movies with great WoM are performing well. Simple as that. Reality is that this summer will be stronger than last year's. We are only 2% behind despite last year having TGM. July and August will be definitely stronger. Three huge films are just about to open. Last summer box office was pretty much dead after BULLET TRAIN. This year there are some mid-level hits to come in August and potentially strong holdovers for MISSION BARBHEIMER. When all said and done, this is a good summer.

Mission Barbenheimer. Can't wait to see that!

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I agree with you.  Obviously, low opens can spawn great legs b/c you need to multiply a low number over and over...so, to be impressive, they'll still need to get to an impressive total...

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine this forum championing a 160 total if it had opened to 55m or something. We’d all be talking about what a bomb it is tbh. 

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

So I’m watching Jaws for the umpteenth time.  It’s amazing how little fat is on this film.  The first beach scene is about 13 minutes in.  Quint is introduced within 20 minutes.  With a lot of  films today these scenes might not occur until 45 minutes to an hour into the film.

This movie is truly perfect in every way. It may be my favorite Berg movie and that is saying something. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

Amazing film.

On my end, I’m watching Sleepless in Seattle for the first time ever and just thinking of how impossible it would be for a movie like that to gross more than 200 million today

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAR said:

The Little Mermaid remake was like this. So much padding and filler compared to the original animated movie. 

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

The Little Mermaid remake was like this. So much padding and filler compared to the original animated movie. 

It has already made more than the original film adjusted and it just keeps going, besides presenting a new Ariel that people seem to really love. It’s a kids movie, doing what a kids movie should do it seems. If you liked the original The Little Mermaid as a kid odds are that despite nostalgia, it kinda isn’t made with you in mind, really.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 1