Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

well they can’t be trying to do that as so far it’s losing them hundreds of millions. 

They obviously think it’ll play nicely in that late summer slot, and I think it probably will. 

Haunted Mansion is a weird one.  I've been trying to decide if they are gonna fall into the "who was the movie made for" issue or if it being not quite right for multiple demos is gonna bring them all in.  

When I watch the trailer, I sit and think "too scary for 12 and unders, but too childish for 13+"...but maybe that's the point, and they bring in both groups anyway...

I dunno.  I know my kids haven't expressed an interest for their monthly movie choice (but Barbie and TMNT are big competitors, and we only do 1 movie a month)...take that for what you will.  And, well, as is obvious, my spouse and I haven't either, but as a fan of the themepark ride, I'd probably be most tempted to go if I got a ticket deal...but for $20/ticket (and $5 for MI 7), this one is a pass until it's much cheaper...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Dial of Destiny and Little Mermaid should have swapped released dates. DoD then could have taken advantage of Memorial Day and Father's Day and be farther away from adult targeted competition like Dead Reckoning and Oppenheimer. Another blunder from Disney

Not really? Reception and WOM isn't very good for Indy, so it likely wouldn't have done much on those holidays anyways (plus it still had Spider-Verse and Transformers and Flash), and Little Mermaid, while not having Aladdin late legs, is still holding super strong, which it likely wouldn't if it didn't have the whole summer to play. Plus Barbie would be much closer to its release date and damage it. They made the right call IMO.

• Like 4

Giving Destiny the earlier release date pits it more directly against Spiderverse, which makes it more likely to take damage. 

As it is it still had to deal with Spiderverse but after the initial rush.

Little Mermaid at least had a respectable audience so I doubt Disney would want to sacrifice it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Yeah, it’s really not great. In no small part to its main character, who they forgot to actually give a character. She’s the biggest nothing-burger ever, and it’s a film that desperately needed a lead to care about.

As SW media goes it’s interesting only in so much as its grittier look and feel set a template for the shows, which they’ve mostly stuck to ever since. 

I'll never forget falling asleep halfway through the movie on my first viewing because of how turgid and dull that movie and the heroes were. It was especially baffling considering how dynamic and fun Rey and Finn were the year prior (not an invitation for some of you to explain why I'm wrong btw). But SW fans I guess are the kind of edgelords who enjoy when things are DARK and SERIOUS and PEOPLE DIE and VADERRRRRRRR. Ah well. At least people are enjoying Andor from all this. That at least seems like it tries to actually have dimension and personality for its characters. That's cool.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 6

9 minutes ago, Eric Jones said:

I'll never forget falling asleep halfway through the movie on my first viewing because of how turgid and dull that movie and the heroes were. It was especially baffling considering how dynamic and fun Rey and Finn were the year prior (not an invitation for some of you to explain why I'm wrong btw). But SW fans I guess are the kind of edgelords who enjoy when things are DARK and SERIOUS and PEOPLE DIE and VADERRRRRRRR. Ah well. At least people are enjoying Andor from all this. That at least seems like it tries to actually have dimension and personality for its characters. That's cool.

Weird.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

If Japan embraces this movie, i think we’re looking at 250-300M OS 

Some uncertainty with Japan...

if they announce a Disney Plus release date early into the Japanese release in August, that could tank things. Or Elemental could bomb outright anyways.

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

This is what you post when you actually are inviting contention

Umm...no? I'm just not interested in people explaining why Rey and Finn are bad actually because of this, that, and the other thing.

• Thanks 1

Feel like Haunted Mansion is being somewhat slept on IMO. It looks fun and is opening at a time where even with like a $25-30M opening should leg it out to $100M given that it's one of the very last major titles of the summer before we move into the dog days.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

That's as flawed thinking as that Zendaya followers would turn DUNC II into Titanic. The age of movie stars is over. People watch for concept. If audience that liked Fleabag or Euphoria isn't into Indiana Jones or hard sci fi like DUNC they won't show up period. It's when actor is in a concept appealing to their audience that things work but trying to get Fleabag audience interested in Jones and Jones audience interested in PWB is futlile. It's always better to cast someone who has street cred with the audience you target. I don't think that DoD would have done much better if Attwell or Ferguson were in it instead of PWB but there would be less whining at least. 

Obviously none of these people are real movie stars of yesteryear but they definitely could've utilized a younger star that actually got some buzz going w/ Gen Z & millennials. Maybe they still wouldn't have turned out in large numbers cause the reviews were meh but large swaths of the internet clearly take note of what actors like Tom Holland, Anya Taylor Joy, Florence Pugh, Zendaya, etc do. A lot of their red carpet appearances and interviews go viral. PWB does not have that kind of appeal right now cause she didn't really take advantage of her Fleabag fame well imo. 

I mean look at Margot on the Barbie press tour! Every single outfit she's worn gets her trending in the 10s of thousands.

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Some uncertainty with Japan...

if they announce a Disney Plus release date early into the Japanese release in August, that could tank things. Or Elemental could bomb outright anyways.

Gotta love the unpredictability of Japan, even when ATSV looked like it was gonna break out on OW it turned aroudnd and barely beat the predecessor. Then you have Mario getting carried WW by its late legs.

2 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Meh, what the actual audience wanted to see (if anything) was "Indy and Short Round team up again".

Yeah short round for sure would have probably boosted this movie by 50% after EEAAO, I think the timing was off though since this movie was in production before they even knew he was acting again

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Meh, what the actual audience wanted to see (if anything) was "Indy and Short Round team up again".

TBF it was filmed two years ago and literally noooobody was saying "short round should be in this" before Everything Everywhere dropped.

• Like 2

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

TBF it was filmed two years ago and literally noooobody was saying "short round should be in this" before Everything Everywhere dropped.

Plenty of actual Indy fans wanted Short Round back before EEAO. History happened before EEAO released. Also nobody liked the Mutt character (despite what people on this forum claim) so putting him back in wouldn't have hurt anything. It's not like Karen Allen was getting many castings in 2000s movies other than Crystal Skull.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Feel like Haunted Mansion is being somewhat slept on IMO. It looks fun and is opening at a time where even with like a $25-30M opening should leg it out to $100M given that it's one of the very last major titles of the summer before we move into the dog days.

It also has a very dedicated fanbase.  And if Disney got right people will show up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It's hilarious that if they just waited two more years to shoot this movie, the whole thing would have for sure been an Indy/Short Round team-up and that probably would have been the best selling point you could hope for with an Indiana Jones sequel.

• Like 1