Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Steve and Indy punching nazis together do sound cool.

I will always remember when Marvel sold to Disney, Bendis and Brubaker were like actively campaigning on Twitter to be the one to write the team up 😅 Just shameless about it

• Haha 1

Both surprised Variety reviewed Sound of Freedom, AND gave it a fresh rating and kinda really likes it/finds it compelling.  Maybe I need to up my expectations this week - if it breaks out of the Chosen-theater market and goes wider, it could go bigger and be one of the highest limiteds this year.

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/sound-of-freedom-review-jim-caviezel-1235660035/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

@Cap

I honestly don't get it LOL who is Steve and how does it pertain to Indiana Jones

All right sorry I guess I had a brain cramp now I have seen her talking about captain america. Sorry it's a holiday Monday here and I'm actually just sitting in the Drive-Thru right now to get my coffee so I apologize for the brain fart

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know there's a lot of people here saying that the reception for Indiana Jones is not very good. Right now it's at 88% on rotten tomatoes from viewers. Critically it wasn't well received and there's definitely people at these forums who have seen it who didn't like it there's also people at these forums, maybe closer to my age, who have enjoyed it. I don't think the reception for this is nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be and as some of you guys are making it out to be.

I went through some of the viewer reviews on rotten tomatoes and a lot of them have the same sentiments that I have about it. Classic indie, little too much CGI but overall a lot of fun and a fantastic tear jerking ending.

The budget for this is automatically going to make it a complete disaster and the international numbers coming in are not doing any favors either. I do think down the road this movie will be looked upon favorably and I think a lot of those people that have avoided the film due to critics will eventually see it on Disney or some other streaming platform and probably end up enjoying it.

All this. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

I will always remember when Marvel sold to Disney, Bendis and Brubaker were like actively campaigning on Twitter to be the one to write the team up 😅 Just shameless about it

Brubaker's would have been fun lol

• Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

In the multiverse timeline where Everything Everywhere All At Once came out 2 years earlier, or Indy 5 didn't start filming until late last year, they obviously write Short Round into the movie as a major role and given the timeframe of the movie, it's pretty obvious the movie would be set in Southeast Asia and tie into the Vietnam War somehow. This would write out the Nazis and PWB's character necessarily given the different setting.

They'd probably write in another younger character as well since Ke Huy Quan is 51, so my guess would have been a younger Viet-heritage actress (and if they really wanted to hit on legacy they'd make her Short Round's daughter) for a multi-generational adventure tied to the region.

But that is a different timeline

This is how you get the chick from the Furie movies in the picture. To tie all the conversation threads together she played Rose’s sister in The Last Jedi.

• Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Cap

I honestly don't get it LOL who is Steve and how does it pertain to Indiana Jones

All right sorry I guess I had a brain cramp now I have seen her talking about captain america. Sorry it's a holiday Monday here and I'm actually just sitting in the Drive-Thru right now to get my coffee so I apologize for the brain fart

Steve Rogers. The love of my life.

I should note that the line in Captain America: The First Avenger when Red Skull is like “and the Fuhrer digs for trinkets in the desert” is a direct reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark. because Joe Johnson worked on that film, and directed TFA

So! Indy and Cap in same universe is canon. 😇

• Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Both surprised Variety reviewed Sound of Freedom, AND gave it a fresh rating and kinda really likes it/finds it compelling.  Maybe I need to up my expectations this week - if it breaks out of the Chosen-theater market and goes wider, it could go bigger and be one of the highest limiteds this year.

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/sound-of-freedom-review-jim-caviezel-1235660035/

Without getting too political because human trafficking and child trafficking seems to get people riled up here for some reason. Having said that it is a massive massive problem worldwide and there is never been a movie that is really touched upon it in the way that this one seems to be going at it. There's definitely been movies where child trafficking is mentioned and even talked about but this one deals with the subject extensively, at least from what I've read. I don't think this is a so-called q-anon thing, I don't think this is a conspiracy movie, I think it's a movie that deals with the subject that is harrowing and needs to be talked about and way more needs to be done about it. And that's what has me compelled and intrigued me about the movie. And judging by the pre-sales, which I had no idea about, so thank you to you for mentioning that they had something like 7.5 million dollars in presales, it shows that there's a lot of people who are interested and intrigued to see this film. I'm just hoping that it does get an expansion and comes to the Queensway ( was always mentioned in RTHs busiest theater count in Canada for each weekend) theater in Toronto which is much easier for me to get to than heading to Whitby which is as I mentioned close to 100 km away from me. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Haunted Mansion is a weird one.  I've been trying to decide if they are gonna fall into the "who was the movie made for" issue or if it being not quite right for multiple demos is gonna bring them all in.  

When I watch the trailer, I sit and think "too scary for 12 and unders, but too childish for 13+"...but maybe that's the point, and they bring in both groups anyway...

I dunno.  I know my kids haven't expressed an interest for their monthly movie choice (but Barbie and TMNT are big competitors, and we only do 1 movie a month)...take that for what you will.  And, well, as is obvious, my spouse and I haven't either, but as a fan of the themepark ride, I'd probably be most tempted to go if I got a ticket deal...but for $20/ticket (and $5 for MI 7), this one is a pass until it's much cheaper...

think much will depend on if it’s good. It definitely has break out potential. 

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I should note that the line in Captain America: The First Avenger when Red Skull is like “and the Fuhrer digs for tinkers in the desert” is a direct reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark. because Joe Johnson worked on that film, and directed TFA

20b87151734fb9596ef5e5983760bfb9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

I should note that the line in Captain America: The First Avenger when Red Skull is like “and the Fuhrer digs for tinkers in the desert” is a direct reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark. because Joe Johnson worked on that film, and directed TFA

You know I never pick that up. Usually I can pick up references to films that I love but I never got that one.

Do you remember in winter soldier when Nick Fury visited his own grave and the epitaph on it was his famous line from pulp fiction.... Ezekiel 25 17?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

In the multiverse timeline where Everything Everywhere All At Once came out 2 years earlier, or Indy 5 didn't start filming until late last year, they obviously write Short Round into the movie as a major role and given the timeframe of the movie, it's pretty obvious the movie would be set in Southeast Asia and tie into the Vietnam War somehow. This would write out the Nazis and PWB's character necessarily given the different setting.

They'd probably write in another younger character as well since Ke Huy Quan is 51, so my guess would have been a younger Viet-heritage actress (and if they really wanted to hit on legacy they'd make her Short Round's daughter) for a multi-generational adventure tied to the region.

But that is a different timeline

I can see this happening for sure with the way Ke blew up on the awards circuit as the most liked actor, and also with Ford presenting Best Picture and all the viral pictures coming out of that moment. The Oscars being in March with the Cannes premiere in May left very little to no time for them to even try to force a cameo.

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

You know I never pick that up. Usually I can pick up references to films that I love but I never got that one.

Do you remember in winter soldier when Nick Fury visited his own grave and the epitaph on it was his famous line from pulp fiction.... Ezekiel 25 17?

pulp-fiction-jules-winnfield.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

20b87151734fb9596ef5e5983760bfb9.jpg

It writes itself. So. Good. 

I know people hate crossovers, but I don’t. Give it to me. 

(This is also why I wish the US had those big charity telethons like they do in the UK. I don’t even need a whole thing. Just like a ten minute Children In Need Special would suffice!)

• Heart 2

While we are discussing random crossovers, how about that time Han Solo crash landed in Earth and his body was discovered centuries later by Indiana Jones and it's implied that Chewy is actually the Bigfoot legend 

swtaleslastpage.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

28 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know there's a lot of people here saying that the reception for Indiana Jones is not very good. Right now it's at 88% on rotten tomatoes from viewers. Critically it wasn't well received and there's definitely people at these forums who have seen it who didn't like it there's also people at these forums, maybe closer to my age, who have enjoyed it. I don't think the reception for this is nearly as bad as the critics are making it out to be and as some of you guys are making it out to be.

I went through some of the viewer reviews on rotten tomatoes and a lot of them have the same sentiments that I have about it. Classic indie, little too much CGI but overall a lot of fun and a fantastic tear jerking ending.

The budget for this is automatically going to make it a complete disaster and the international numbers coming in are not doing any favors either. I do think down the road this movie will be looked upon favorably and I think a lot of those people that have avoided the film due to critics will eventually see it on Disney or some other streaming platform and probably end up enjoying it.

I mean, I know folks will disagree, but I feel like Disney is aware of this, and while I'm sure they're disappointed this film isn't making as much as they'd like, they're still playing the long game.

In regard to audiences and not critics, Elemental got good WOM, The Little Mermaid got good WOM, and even Indy is getting good WOM. And they'll end up going to Disney+ where people will talk about how they were all better than expected, and it'll be a positive for the streaming service.

Meanwhile, the cast for the live action Lilo & Stitch was finalized and the Bambi realistic CG remake got greenlit and has a director. At the very least, why would they announce the latter at the same time as the internet is freaking out over TLM? Maybe because it doesn't matter.

All the pontification here, and nothing is changing. Hell, Greta Gerwig is going over to Netflix for two Narnia adaptations, so no matter how well Barbie does, Gerwig is moving to streaming, at least for a little while.

• Like 2