Bob Train

Steve Rogers Birthday Bash Weekend Thread | 5-Day #s: Indy 83.4, Elemental 18, Spidey 17.65, Sound of Freedom 14.2, No Hard Feelings 11.3

55 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Well, Elemental is already showing signs of audiences unlearing the wait-to-stream behavior and if Disney doubles down on that with lengthy theatrical exclusivity for it,

I heard one of the voice actors say it's going to be in theaters until Labor day, which I guess means the Disney Plus release will be stayed until then. Lightyear's Disney Plus debut was in early August, a month before Labor Day.

Edited by cannastop

Turning Red is better received than pretty much everything DW put out in a decade, way more acclaimed than the whole Illumination catalogue 

I mean, sure there’s subjectivity when it comes to movies but i think this whole “Pixar movies aren’t as well received and didn’t have the same quality as before, is now similar to other studios” to be overly relied on personal taste, not actual data. 

Inside Out, Coco, Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2, Soul, Luca, Turning Red all have similar reception compared to Monsters Inc, Nemo, Incredibles and some other classics.

What’s missing is some transcendental movie like Ratatouille and Wall-E, but other than that i really don’t see any strong evidence that they don’t drop movies as good as the 2000’s ones anymore. Sure there are more misses now because they drop movies more consistently, but pretty much every year there’s some movie from them with amazing reception. Of course for adults they likely won’t be better than what we grow up watching, but like i said, this isn’t data.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Turning Red is better received than pretty much everything DW put out in a decade, way more acclaimed than the whole Illumination catalogue 

By critics sure... but like with general audiences, I guess I'd look at the streaming ratings and it looks like a hit just like all the Illumination movies.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I heard one of the voice actors say it's going to be in theaters until Labor day, which I guess means the Disney Plus release will be stayed until then. Ligthyear's Disney Plus debut was in early August, a month before Labor Day.

Yea, this seems to be their new strategy. Guardians 3 probably won't hit Plus til early August. There is no word yet on Mermaid, but I could see that not hitting Plus until late August/early September. They could hold off Elemental until like late September or early October even.

1 minute ago, toutvabien said:

Yea, this seems to be their new strategy. Guardians 3 probably won't hit Plus til early August. There is no word yet on Mermaid, but I could see that not hitting Plus until late August/early September. They could hold off Elemental until like late September or early October even.

well the thing with Lightyear is that there was no saving it so they might as well have done the Disney Plus thing.

But this was before the sudden return of Iger as CEO.

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

Still feel like Turning Red would have done gangbusters in theaters.

Agreed. The market was wide open for a family film to blow up on its planned release date. I felt the same way about Luca, whose Disney+ date landed on the weekend where The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard (*involuntary shudder*) landed at a weak #1.

1 hour ago, LegionWrex said:

Still feel like Turning Red would have done gangbusters in theaters.

I think Turning Red could have had a Zootopia-like run. Maybe 70 OW with 300m dom.
That's what my club said anyways.

The reason why it was spun as "controversial" in some online circles is because people could just casually watch it and take things out of context, as opposed to watching it in a theater, where you take the whole thing in context.

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

By critics sure... but like with general audiences, I guess I'd look at the streaming ratings and it looks like a hit just like all the Illumination movies.

The thing with TR is that it was another movie that was attacked by weird people online (it have an abysmal 68% on RT audience score because of that), so is hard to use it as something super reliable 

I think the most effective data for this movie with audiences is not only how it ended up being one of the biggest movies ever on streaming but also have legs on Nielsen, spent many weeks going very strong there 

The one movie from DW recently that i think it did have this type of performance is PIB2 only. 

But i’m aware is very hard to compare theatrical model with streaming model, i just think is silly to think the reception of their movies in the past decade is radically different than what it was in the 2000’s because we have data to make a case that this isn’t really true.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I totally recognize why some critics were more sour on Elemental, especially the critics who went to Cannes. But I as a more casual moviegoer just love the movie.

Yeah the movie is very charming, i think the polite critical reception is mainly because the movie is very simple. 

Like Pete Doctor said, the hard part of having a catalogue of classics is that everything you drop will be compared to that. 

Everytime Pixar release a movie that is very simple and straightforward, they get this type of reviews. But the timing was fortunate because i think this is what they was very much in need after the pandemic to bring the audiences back.

Happy Steve Rogers birthday, all. Hope you are staying safe and your asshole neighbors aren’t shooting off fireworks that upset the dogs. 

Judy and I are both baked on the couch, watching my #1 WB film of all time for @Eric Jones’s Countdown, The Music Man. I took mine too late for it to kick in during the Wells Fargo wagon, but if I get lucky, I think it’s going to hit me right about when we all tell John to sit down cause we’re watching 1776 next.

Bless TCM. 

• Like 2
  • Heart 2
  • Thanks 1

My apologies for not getting to the 2013 revisit countdown. I was halfway done with calculations when real life moving related logistics took over. 

I will try to get back to it but genuinely don't know when with the moving coming up over the next week. Maybe I'll reopen submissions as well because I am not sure I'll be able to get to things before August when I'm back in India and settled.

50 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I mean, sure there’s subjectivity when it comes to movies but i think this whole “Pixar movies aren’t as well received and didn’t have the same quality as before, is now similar to other studios” to be overly relied on personal taste, not actual data. 

Inside Out, Coco, Toy Story 4, Incredibles 2, Soul, Luca, Turning Red all have similar reception compared to Monsters Inc, Nemo, Incredibles and some other classics.

What’s missing is some transcendental movie like Ratatouille and Wall-E, but other than that i really don’t see any strong evidence that they don’t drop movies as good as the 2000’s ones anymore. Sure there are more misses now because they drop movies more consistently, but pretty much every year there’s some movie from them with amazing reception. Of course for adults they likely won’t be better than what we grow up watching, but like i said, this isn’t data.

Not just personal preferences, but the whole Disney is doomed and it’s declining narrative, that it’s the same narrative for Marvel Studios is dooming and declining, or Lucasfilm is doomed and declining, or Pixar is doomed and declining. 

It’s not new. The narrative didn’t start lately. It’s been more of a decade of this.

21 minutes ago, Cap said:

Happy Steve Rogers birthday, all. Hope you are staying safe and your asshole neighbors aren’t shooting off fireworks that upset the dogs. 

Judy and I are both baked on the couch, watching my #1 WB film of all time for @Eric Jones’s Countdown, The Music Man. I took mine too late for it to kick in during the Wells Fargo wagon, but if I get lucky, I think it’s going to hit me right about when we all tell John to sit down cause we’re watching 1776 next.

Bless TCM. 

Very excited to know what your list is. I know it's going to be the best out of all these clowns, but how good? Very curious indeed.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Cap said:

Bless TCM. 

The Music Man at #1 is so unfathomably based.

• Thanks 1