baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

while it is still too early, if MI doesn't pick up the pace sub 200m is likely. Right now there are some unanswered questions (if the run time affected people seeing it on a weekday, if the people that went to the Early Access shows would have gone Tuesday anyway)

Edited by John Marston

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

ebony-jenkins.gif

I disagree with that. I feel like 2023 is the new 2014. And it’s an improvement of that year too because Age of Extinction out of everything topping $1B still seems hilarious to me. Box office will be fine. What we need is the Studios to pay their writers and actors accordingly. Studios will be swimming in money in 2024 forward.

12 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Big takeaway this year for me is there needs to be atleast 2-3 weeks gap between tentpole release dates. 

The problem will be that studios will still go "survival of the fittest" and all want THEIR tentpoles to get those slots...so you'll be right back to 2023 in 2024...

I mean, tell me Disney, WB, and Universal won't date at least 3 tentpoles each next summer?  About the only way that doesn't happen is if the strike goes on a long time and they just don't have the tentpole product ready...

I don't think there's ever been a 2-3 week Gap for tent poles. There's only so many weeks in the summer and every studio wants the best weekend possible. Sometimes you get Blockbuster after Blockbuster week after week. There's really not much you can do about this.

I was just looking over the grosses for the previous mission Impossible movies and they're all very consistent domestically. 200 million-220 seems to be the range and I'm sure this one will be about the same. Obviously the international markets are where it makes bank.

It'll probably do 220 here give or take of course and if it can make 450 or maybe 500 million overseas that's probably where they budgeted it at.

• Like 2

I mean, jeez... if you pick a negative narrative from the go and choose to run with it,then obviously it's all doom and gloom. Again, atypical release and positive WOM. Give it till Sat at least before holding yet another memorial service for cinemas.

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not to undoom and gloom, but before we write off MI even before a final previews number, I'd be curious about Fri/Sat presales, b/c those are wildly higher than what my theaters had for yesterday and today...

So based on my previous post, Dead reckoning is probably on Pace to do exactly what they thought it would do. 200-220 give or take. Is the international numbers that should be interesting.

Just now, reddevil19 said:

I mean, jeez... if you pick a negative narrative from the go and choose to run with it,then obviously it's all doom and gloom. Again, atypical release and positive WOM. Give it till Sat at least before holding yet another memorial service for cinemas.

Forget it buddy, it's the forums, you know how it works. If a movie increases from estimates by 000 25%, people are doing backflips here and saying that word of mouth is kicking in. On the flip side, if the movie drops by 000 15%, then the sky is falling and everybody hates the movie. It's just the nature of the Beast here and I doubt it will ever change.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I don't think there's ever been a 2-3 week Gap for tent poles. There's only so many weeks in the summer and every studio wants the best weekend possible. Sometimes you get Blockbuster after Blockbuster week after week. There's really not much you can do about this.

What they need is to understand and figure it out the new patterns. Disney would be much more better served depending of the schedule releasing let’s say Vol. 3 at the release date of Mario than the traditional May release. They should look at the release dates like Valentine’s like Fox did with Deadpool as well. Next year will be a mess with the strike, but that’s something that all studios should be considering moving forward. I do agree with you that there isn’t much you can do about Summer release dates though, while I do think they need to get more creative and open to off-season dates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What they need is to understand and figure it out the new patterns. Disney would be much more better served depending of the schedule releasing let’s say Vol. 3 at the release date of Mario than the traditional May release. They should look at the release dates like Valentine’s like Fox did with Deadpool as well. Next year will be a mess with the strike, but that’s something that all studios should be considering moving forward. I do agree with you that there isn’t much you can do about Summer release dates though, while I do think they need to get more creative and open to off-season dates.

You mean like April 4th for Winter Solder or August 1st for GOTG or Feb 16th for Black Panther or March 8th for Captain Marvel or Sept 3rd for Shang-Chi or Feb 17th for AM3 or Feb 13th for Untitled Marvel Movie?

Edited by Deep Wang
more readable dates
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You mean like 4/4/14 for Winter Solder or 8/1/14 for GOTG or 2/16/18 for Black Panther or 3/8/19 for Captain Marvel or 9/3/21 for Shang-Chi or 2/17/23 for AM3 or 2/13/26 for Untitled Marvel Movie 

Yes. Yes, precisely. I want more of that. I wanted this this year, actually. Both Vol. 3 and ATSV deserved much more than what they got, and I don’t think it’s a superhero fatigue issue, it’s an way too crowded schedule issue. 

My problem with AM3 is that despite being an Ant-Man film which on itself is already a problem it doesn’t make sense thematically with Feb. It isn’t a film about a Black superhero neither has the genius gimmick that Deadpool had of being a covert perfect superhero film slash date film.

You can’t get more romantic than this:

deadpool-crazy.gif

international-womens-day-deadpool.gif

Edited by ZattMurdock

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

WAT. Why the hell would Disney counterprogram Mario with Vol. 3, there's substantial overlap.

3 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

WAT. Why the hell would Disney counterprogram Mario with Vol. 3, there's substantial overlap.

Mario wouldn’t be there at the same date. It would run, and rightfully so. Also Mario was delayed. Marvel, WB with their big guns can pick dates. That’s still the case even for an eventual SMB sequel.

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Mario wouldn’t be there at the same date. It would run, and rightfully so. Also Mario was delayed. Marvel, WB with their big guns can pick dates. That’s still the case even for an eventual SMB sequel.

Yes. Fucking MARIO, one of the biggest gaming franchises beloved for GENERATIONS would run from GOTG3. I really wish I had what you were smoking right now.

• Like 3