baumer

Weekday numbers July 10-13

4 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

Not to be mean of course, but this was published at 8 PM EST. Feel like it's a little silly to extrapolate anything this far out.

I feel like Deadline Anthony just sticks his finger in the air and goes this sounds like a number to throw out there based on nothing. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm not sure I follow.... Most expected it would sell right around the same number of tickets as Fallout... Fallout did 220M in 2018. With inflation that's what? 245M+ now? That's what I expected. Fallout opened to 60 and did 220. Indy is not a good comparison to MI. MI is a good comparison to MI. There are 6 of them before this one... Especially the last two with McQ directing are likely the best comparisons. Both had awesome legs. Neither opened huge.

1 hour ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Even if Indy was performing well, It was never going to make its money back. That budget is just way too high. 

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will make its money back. Mission Impossible 7 will make its money back. Even if their actual box office grosses are just ‘fine’ and what BOT would call ‘underwhelming’. 

These are films that already come with massive deals in place once they are out of the theaters. Be glad that they exist and stop worrying about their box office haul too much. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 3
  • Knock It Off 9

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will make its money back. Mission Impossible 7 will make its money back. Even if their actual box office grosses are just ‘fine’ and what BOT would call ‘underwhelming’. 

These are films that already come with massive deals in place once they are out of the theaters. Be glad that they exist and stop worrying about their box office haul too much. 

Indy is not making its money back.

Its box office haul is not "fine" and is what BOT would call "disastrous".

Please get real.

MI7 will be fine as long as OS (except maybe china) goes well. Even putting it next to indy when their hauls are nothing alike is ridiculous.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 3

mi7 is so weird, last summer we had tgm, jwd, minions and thor all make over 700m+ despite 2 of them being of questionable quality but the money was there for multiple films and all above 300m DOM but mi7 looks to be deflated cause of barbie/oppenheimer even tho it really only shares major demo crossover with one of them

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Indy is not making its money back.

Its box office haul is not "fine" and is what BOT would call "disastrous".

Please get real.

MI7 will be fine as long as OS (except maybe china) goes well. Even putting it next to indy when their hauls are nothing alike is ridiculous.

Sure, hun. Let’s see Cruise save cinemas and etc. Films like MI7 and Indy are too big to make their money out of box office receipts alone. Indy’s situation is interesting because unlike literally any film out this year isn’t aiming for a sequel after this, it’s a true ending. People feeling good about Dial of Destiny is far more important than allowing several potential spin offs. The budget to MI7 is as absurd as Indiana Jones, but for some odd reason people underplay that here.

And by the way, people that have been around here long enough know very well that the most important market for a Hollywood production is domestic, not OS. Using OS numbers as a clutch when it’s not even clear how well MI7 is going to far overseas is more wishful thinking than anything. Exchange rates, international and domestic taxes take a toll on these films initial profits. It’s not just Indy, it’s not just MI7. Calling the OS as the MI7’s saving grace might be a little bit precipitated.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 7

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Sure, hun. Let’s see Cruise save cinemas and etc. Films like MI7 and Indy are too big to make their money out of box office receipts alone. Indy’s situation is interesting because unlike literally any film out this year isn’t aiming for a sequel after this, it’s a true ending. People feeling good about Dial of Destiny is far more important than allowing several potential spin offs. The budget to MI7 is as absurd as Indiana Jones, but for some odd reason people underplay that here.

And by the way, people that have been around here long enough know very well that the most important market for a Hollywood production is domestic, not OS. Using OS numbers as a clutch when it’s not even clear how well MI7 is going to far overseas is more wishful thinking than anything. Exchange rates, international and domestic taxes take a toll on these films initial profits. It’s not just Indy, it’s not just MI7. Calling the OS as the MI7’s saving grace might be a little bit precipitated.

You really need to get a grip on reality over here, might be time to just hit the ignore button I suppose.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

mi7 is so weird, last summer we had tgm, jwd, minions and thor all make over 700m+ despite 2 of them being of questionable quality but the money was there for multiple films and all above 300m DOM but mi7 looks to be deflated cause of barbie/oppenheimer even tho it really only shares major demo crossover with one of them

JWD and Minions were sequels to billion dollar movies and Thor was the first of the main Avengers to get a movie after Endgame. Top Gun Maverick was a lightning in a bottle freak of nature and the first movie adjusts to over 500M domestic despite being an average quality film. Mission Impossible 7 looks like it is going to do similar to what Fallout did bar China. Nothing weird about it.  

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Zatt, to be honest, watching you lose your shit regularly is the main reason I come here. It's far more entertaining than the wretched "Barbenheimer" or whatever discourse or people too dumb to know what Mario is, but I gotta say...

You need to learn about "economy of resources" and not try to do these insanely long posts. It's a pain to read.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Fanboy said:

JWD and Minions were sequels to billion dollar movies and Thor was the first of the main Avengers to get a movie after Endgame. Top Gun Maverick was a lightning in a bottle freak of nature and the first movie adjusts to over 500M domestic despite being an average quality film. Mission Impossible 7 looks it is going to do similar to what Fallout did bar China. Nothing weird about it.  

It’s doing exactly what most of us thought it would. It’s a 20+ years franchise with a 7 on the title. It’s a lot closer to Fast X than TGM, with an insanely high budget like Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

People seem to not understand why Fast X went so fast to streaming, and the reason is that Paramount understands that it can make a lot more money from PVOD than hoping for inexistent box office legs for a long ass franchise. There is money to be made in PVOD, streaming deals and TV rights. I know it’s crazy for some here to fathom, but it’s been like this for decades now. I do remember how much the debacle about how profitable Pirates of the Caribbean sequels were and we really don’t need to keep running circles with the same arguments over and over again.

Every film is different, ancillary merch is a thing for the studios when it comes to Pirates and TLM and arguably not as much for Indy and MI7, but their PVOD receipts is nothing to sneeze at. You can’t really compare franchises like Indy and MI7 with stuff like The Flash or Morbius. The Flash is coming fast to PVOD but anyone thinking that’s going to be making Fast X money there, let alone Indy or MI7 money is fooling themselves. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s doing exactly what most of us thought it would. It’s a 20+ years franchise with a 7 on the title. It’s a lot closer to Fast X than TGM, with an insanely high budget like Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

People seem to not understand why Fast X went so fast to streaming, and the reason is that Paramount understands that it can make a lot more money from PVOD than hoping for inexistent box office legs for a long ass franchise. There is money to be made in PVOD, streaming deals and TV rights. I know it’s crazy for some here to fathom, but it’s been like this for decades now. I do remember how much the debacle about how profitable Pirates of the Caribbean sequels were and we really don’t need to keep running circles with the same arguments over and over again.

Every film is different, ancillary merch is a thing for the studios when it comes to Pirates and TLM and arguably not as much for Indy and MI7, but their PVOD receipts is nothing to sneeze at. You can’t really compare franchises like Indy and MI7 with stuff like The Flash or Morbius. The Flash is coming fast to PVOD but anyone thinking that’s going to be making Fast X money there, let alone Indy or MI7 money is fooling themselves. 

How the hell do you know how much MI7 will make based on a TUESDAY release?!? How is that supposed to track to Fast X's opening in anyway?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

Zatt, to be honest, watching you lose your shit regularly is the main reason I come here. It's far more entertaining than the wretched "Barbenheimer" or whatever discourse or people too dumb to know what Mario is, but I gotta say...

You need to learn about "economy of resources" and not try to do these insanely long posts. It's a pain to read.

I’m not losing my shit. And I’ve dealt with my share of keyboard warriors in the past and those that gratuitously attack people on franchise, console and politics arguments non sense. This isn’t novel to me. I don’t know you and you clearly talk about me like you know me, which is odd and creepy but like I’ve said, that’s the internet for you. I deal with faceless profiles like yours my whole life. Happy to make you feel better about yourself, I guess, not sure what to say here.

34 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

How the hell do you know how much MI7 will make based on a TUESDAY release?!? How is that supposed to track to Fast X's opening in anyway?

What I’m comparing is how FX is a more OS franchise than domestic when it comes to the box office. I suspect that MI7 is going to be following that trend, and that seems like the general consensus, too.

Edited by ZattMurdock

39 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

2a98ca93eafa0476fce001c00a6cf8a3ca180e75

• Haha 10

55 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Even Hollywood accounting can't save Indy. Please be real, it's not sniffing break even. 

• Like 1