CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

7 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Indy too based on it's estimated hold this weekend. 170-180 still seems possible for that. 

Indy could’ve been a cute moderate hit if the budget was 150M. 

This summer is a very strong wake-up call for Hollywood, pretty much every flop of this summer could’ve been a success with a reasonable budget. 

Put TLM at 175M, fast X at 225M, Elemental / Indy / Transformers at 150M and Dead Reckoning at 180-190M like the previous and they’re all would be cute hits.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

This summer is a very strong wake-up call for Hollywood, pretty much every flop of this summer could’ve been a success with a reasonable budget. 

Put TLM at 175M, fast X at 225M, Elemental / Indy / Transformers at 150M and Dead Reckoning at 180-190M like the previous and they’re all would be cute hits.

I'm guessing DR would have been around that if not for COVID right? Wouldn't surprise me if that was DR2's budget lol

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah if Indy's budget was COVID inflated it would be fine. I'm wondering just how many films were fucked over by this outside of the obvious ones tbh, it feels like it's a widespread, systemic problem between all the major studios.

• Like 1

What are you’ll on about?! That ‘Movies,popcorn’ video was taken after he travelled to 4 cities in one day. Anyone would look exhausted and worn out after something like that.

For comparison, these are videos of him on more ‘relaxed’ days. He looks nowhere near his age in these..

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I really like the first act of this movie, i found it very grounded with good dramatic beats and very charismatic duo. But once the spectacle begins i found it shallow, that fully CGI climax was ugly and lack energy, it just bored me.

Even the worst Bayformers have a very strong sense of auterism that pleases me more, i can see humanity in the chaos. And personally i think Transformers 3 is actually a very good example of maximalist cinema, this one i really find it good, best of the whole franchise. 

But i can see why people are liking this one more, is less chaotic, loud and messy.

We need Gore Verbinski Transformers

• Astonished 1

Even at 150M  budget . Indy 5 would still be fucked . It's struggling to make 400m. Franchise has run its course and needed exceptional  WOM to bring audiences back.

Same for flash too. Dead franchise ,terribly recieved and we definitely overestimated the nostalgia appeal.

But agree with the rest.

TLM and ROTB would be moderate hits.

Overall wouldn't be summer of flops but it would still be meh overall .

Edited by Liiviig 1998
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Are Deadline adding that straggling early previews $2m to MI7's Friday?  If not that internal multi is way off.  Should do at least a 3.5 (Fallout did 3.58 in it's 2nd w/e)

I think D3-5 IM being below D8-10 is quite reasonable, I have ~3.35

• Like 1

For all the doom n gloom here, we have MI7

1. Open to roughly Fallout numbers for the 5 day domestically and globally in like for like markets

2. China’s contribution way less to the total…meaning potential for stronger legs on that opening

3. Great WOM everywhere

4. Like what TGM did last summer, the halo effect of Barbenheimer should bless more movies around it as it brings wide demos out

5. Not a strong August slate

6. We’ve seen movies with great WOM leg out considerably over the past few months worldwide. And this is traditionally a very backloaded franchise

7. If Barbie happens to have low holds after a massive OW, a lot of non-IMAX PLFs go back to MI7 if it shows strong holds and it’s unlikely it won’t

I’m still betting on it doing franchise best numbers. We’ve seen crazier things happen with Cruise movies in the recent past

Edited by Algebra
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Indy 4 budget adjusts to 250m. The only way Indy 5 could have costed that little is if they paid their VFX artists slave wages. 

I'm genuinely shocked.  We just saw Mission Impossible and it's really good.  It's a rollercoaster. The last act is really tense.  The stunts are again really crazy and well done.  

So why am I shocked?  I think everyone who has seen it feels the same way.  Rave reviews.  Why are people not showing up?  

Edited by Johnny Tran

13 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yeah, Gore will keep those budgets people are complaining about under control.

He wouldn’t but let’s face it, a 300M Gore Verbinski movies looks and feel larger than life 

It could’ve flop but we all would have arguments about how the money is on the screen

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm genuinely shocked.  We just saw Mission Impossible and it's really good.  It's a rollercoaster. The last act is really tense.  The stunts are again really crazy and well done.  

So why am I shocked?  I think everyone who has seen it feels the same way.  Rave reviews.  Why are people not showing up?  

It didn’t pick up new, younger fans over the years, and it is competing against Indy 5 and Oppenheimer in a crowded market. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Indy 4 budget adjusts to 250m. The only way Indy 5 could have costed that little is if they paid their VFX artists slave wages. 

Or made something smaller in scale and heavily relied on practical effects, you know, like the first ones 

If something like John Wick and Barbie can be made with 100m-ish, Indiana can too if they was creative enough

Why are people so surprised that shooting a globetrotting action adventure on location across many countries during a global pandemic featuring huge A-list actors is very expensive??? Like I’m genuinely curious.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

Verbinski blockbusters have a scale and grandeur most blockbusters believe they're creating. They feel massive. Shame he's in director's jail. 

Gareth Edwards is another large scale blockbuster director and I hope the Creator is a damn good film. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Yeah knowing Disney even without covid inflating the budget it would have been 200m+ that's a given.

Disney has issues with inflating budgets ,pre covid the movies would make lots of money so we didn't really care.

Secret invasion - 212m LMAO like

were did that money go.

• Haha 1