CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

33 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Lone Ranger, yes. But John Carter does need that sort of budget. The issue is you shouldn't be making a John Carter movie at all though. And definitely don't call it fucking John Carter, like it's a 5 million biopic of a guy that invented tupperware or something. 

It was gonna be called John Carter Of Mars, but I blame the marketing department for that.

Just now, AniNate said:

Andrew Stanton had carte blanche after his Pixar work, I appreciate that he got to make the movie he wanted but I'm also glad he was discouraged from making any more of those

Tbf to Stanton he regrets how he handled John Carter and basically openly said he had no idea what he was doing since it was his first time in live action. Considering he's gone to do solid TV work (Better Call Saul, Stranger Things) and also is doing another sci-fi film (albeit smaller budget) I think he turned out fine. John Carter was just a massive risk across the board that didn't pay off.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Yeah but we all know Disney is like allergic to making movies below 150m budget. 

Disney has become very franchise driven studio . They really lack non - IP driven original content ,they don't know quite what to do with fox yet or maximized it's potential

Movies like John Carter and lone ranger didn't need 200m+ budgets. Disney doesn't like starting small.

Both went significantly over budget.  The pulled the plug on Lone Ranger over the budget -  Gore came back with a lower budget - then he blew past it and the original rejected budget.  The bigger problem is they were older outdated IPs.  Lucas had already ripped of a lot from JC decades earlier and the age of the Western - let alone a huge one - is gone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Tbf to Stanton he regrets how he handled John Carter and basically openly said he had no idea what he was doing since it was his first time in live action. Considering he's gone to do solid TV work (Better Call Saul, Stranger Things) and also is doing another sci-fi film (albeit smaller budget) I think he turned out fine. John Carter was just a massive risk across the board that didn't pay off.

Wait, he did? I was under the impression he was at least publicly trying to keep up the air of pride with that movie, especially since it does apparently have a decent cult following. 

I do think he has honed his filmmaking skills in the aftermath ofc, some really great work in particular on For All Mankind as well.

Edited by AniNate

4 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

It was gonna be called John Carter Of Mars, but I blame the marketing department for that.

Title of the first book -A Princess of Mars

Princess scratched because too girly for an action movie (even though she was by far the best thing about the movie and it should have made her a star).  Replaced with John Carter. Movies with word Mars in them bomb.  Scratch Mars.  Genius. 

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wait, he did? I was under the impression he was at least publicly trying to keep up the air of pride with that movie, especially since it does apparently have a decent cult following. 

I do think he has honed his filmmaking skills in the aftermath ofc, some really great work in particular on For All Mankind as well.

He is proud of it, I think he's more referring to how he handled the production itself. Definitely seems like a situation where he's happy with the final product but wishes he handled himself better during it.

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I can't really take this Sound of Freedom run seriously with the pay it forward campaign. Unless they announce the split, this is all bullshit numbers to get it to 100M+.

from what I understand from the website, together with what Charlie has said

between 4-5 million of its 58 million gross comes from pif

pif money is only added to the box office total when a "free" ticket gets redeemed (in the form of a promo code you use when buying a ticket the normal way, which turns its cost into 0.00)

maybe there's a lot of pif money waiting to get "spent", but it all depends on how many people try to claim free tickets, otherwise, it'll remain in the studio's hands and doesn't affect box office 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I enjoyed JC - but it is unwieldy and a bit meandering.  It could easily have lost 30 minutes and $50-75m in budget.   Also a leading man who wasn't a brick would have helped.

43 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

I think the Clod advertising is baffling when he's in the movie for like...7 minutes? And they made a whole ad campaign around him? It's weird? I don't get it?

Maybe they thought he was their Sloth from Zootopia - as slow as he was that still wasn't 7 minutes.

24 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

The fact that Disney was so afraid of the Mars box office curse as to drop the only thing that made the title stand out at all was absolutely hilarious when they then released Mars Needs Moms around the same time. Like if they were that afraid of Mars, why put two mega budget Mars movies with Mars in the title in production at the same time lmao 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe they thought he was their Sloth from Zootopia - as slow as he was that still wasn't 7 minutes.

oh no, you're not thinking of Clod. Clod is a young boy earth Element who tries to go on a date with Ember.

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I enjoyed JC - but it is unwieldy and a bit meandering.  It could easily have lost 30 minutes and $50-75m in budget.   Also a leading man who wasn't a brick would have helped.

The way we used to roast Kitsch on this forum for epitomizing granola box office poison lol 

• Like 1