CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

10 minutes ago, M37 said:

I think this is more of a signal that there was a bigger potential audience for it, but got lost in a crowded March, and the reviews probably have dissuaded people from putting in the time and money to see it in theaters 

The “wait for streaming effect” (and we were part of that home audience, just watched it last night)

Or people won't pay to see a crappy movie and will wait until it's free. That's the Netflix mantra lmao

• Like 1

Maybe Summertime just isn't the time for movies anymore, aside from one or two big hits. Maybe the early stages of COVID, when lockdowns were enforced/highly recommended,  changed people in ways we haven't realized yet. Like perhaps people would rather be outside in the sun instead of a dark theater watching non-interactive media reminding them of that time they had to sit at home and do nothing but watch streaming. 

Maybe I'm an idiot lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Working in tech, there have been seemingly endless layoffs ever since the Musk/Twitter disaster late last year. Possible that could be hitting overall entertainment spending this year too. 

No...reason is pretty simple. A section of audience have gotten used to streaming a lot during covid and they are not coming to theatres easily. This is not just America specific phenomenon...I've seen it happen in other countries too. Once a section people understood that a newly released movie comes onto streaming platform within 2-3 months, they realized no point in going to theatres and just wait till it arrives on streaming platform

• Like 2

It really does feel like Barbie (and to a lesser extent Oppenheimer) is being set to explode as the summer's 4 quad blockbuster. Probably helping it that it just looks like such a flat-out fun time at movies free of the baggage that so many of the long in the tooth franchises of this season have.

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

No...reason is pretty simple. A section of audience have gotten used to streaming a lot during covid and they are not coming to theatres easily. This is not just America specific phenomenon...I've seen it happen in other countries too. Once a section people understood that a newly released movie comes onto streaming platform within 2-3 months, they realized no point in going to theatres and just wait till it arrives on streaming platform

2 minutes ago, GambitPool said:

Maybe Summertime just isn't the time for movies anymore, aside from one or two big hits. Maybe the early stages of COVID, when lockdowns were enforced/highly recommended,  changed people in ways we haven't realized yet. Like perhaps people would rather be outside in the sun instead of a dark theater watching non-interactive media reminding them of that time they had to sit at home and do nothing but watch streaming. 

Maybe I'm an idiot lol. 

im with gambitpool, what I believe covid taught people is that they dont need to see a movie in theaters unless it's something they're really excited by or if it's one of those "must-see-in-theaters" movies.

since covid, every theater visit I've done has been carefully planned weeks in advance, while before I went just because, that's how I ended up seeing the tom hanks Mr Rogers movie despite knowing very little about the guy. There's no way post-covid would do something like

I learned a box office fact that blew my mind today. 

At the time of its release, the R-rated Pretty Woman was the 4th highest grossing film OF ALL TIME at the global box office, topped only by ET, Star Wars and (barely) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it actually outgrossed Indy outside the US). 

Imagine a movie making that kind of $$ today on the sheer magnetism of its leading lady. 

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Flopped said:

At the time of its release, the R-rated Pretty Woman was the 4th highest grossing film OF ALL TIME at the global box office, topped only by ET, Star Wars and (barely) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (it actually outgrossed Indy outside the US). 

Imagine a movie making that kind of $$ today on the sheer magnetism of its leading lady. 

Ghost becoming the third highest grossing movie of all time ww is also pretty insane 

Still confident that MI7 legs out to an extent but the past few days have been really rough for it.

I wanna say the running time could also be a factor in turning people off but Oppy is longer then this and doing strong pre-sale business so I doubt it's factoring in.

• Like 3

I was clinging onto hope that we’ll see a massive Friday jump and am devastated. We’ll get all sorts of post-mortems after this frankly disastrous Friday imo but honestly the biggest reason is how monumentally Paramount fucked up.

If you weren’t upto date with release dates, you’d no idea MI7 was releasing this week. It’s not trending anywhere!

Compare that to when the first teaser released last May or when ‘the stunt’ was released along with Avatar 2, you couldn’t escape from seeing it everywhere.

But now even with the movie finally releasing and scoring great reviews and reception, the hype feels non-existent.

Paramount doing absolutely jackshit from December to May and starting promotions so late in May when Barebenheimer sucked all the oxygen from the room is one of the greatest fumbles of an iconic brand and star in history. 

Hope they do better with scheduling and promoting DR2. But I won’t expect anything from them

Edited by Algebra
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Wut. I have never come close to knowing this either in all my years following box office… that’s insane. 

1 minute ago, Austin said:

I started following box office this March. Is this how depressing the box office normally gets? Ups and downs along the way or this different? Makes me sad.

This is not good, to be fully honest.