CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

Won't put the nail in its coffin since it might develop staying power in the weeks ahead (the schedule will dry up starting the second weekend of August) but I do feel like the 5 years between the last one and this sort of disrupted the buzz for this series. That's just too long to go between sequels for any franchise these days.

12 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

maybe america really is the anti-christ

I got nothing. I thought my fellow late Gen exers and early baby boomers would get off their lazy ass and go see a movie with 96% on RT and a A Cinema score. Guess not. If im mad at anybody it's not you guys reporting it  it's them. Just like with Indiana Jones 2 weeks ago I will look forward to seeing it tomorrow and hope I love it  like I have loved all these movies. Still getting Part two no matter what and I bet that has much more favorable release date and paramount will market it better. If it were not for Barbenheimer next week this probably would leg like a Mission movie does. Maybe it still does after that.  Or Haunted Mansion finishes it off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Won't put the nail in its coffin since it might develop staying power in the weeks ahead (the schedule will dry up starting the second weekend of August) but I do feel like the 5 years between the last one and this sort of disrupted the buzz for this series. That's just too long to go between sequels for any franchise these days.

TMNT and The Meg will do well, no? 

Next weekend will be amazing and it is a rare kind of event that is helping both movies. After that I don't see anything else hitting 200m domestic for the rest of year. Maybe the Marvels can eek it out.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Austin said:

I started following box office this March. Is this how depressing the box office normally gets? Ups and downs along the way or this different? Makes me sad.

I mean, summer 2014 was a very depressing one at the box office, but things were still overall unquestionably healthier. Without Barbie, I’d say this would take my title of most depressing summer box office ever not counting the lost covid ones by a mile. At this point, Barbie might be such a phenomenon though that it might be enough to put it over 2014 for me, esp if Opp tags along too.

MI7 got caught up in the perfect shitstorm. Its primary demographic doesn't go to the movies anymore. And the demographic which does has ruthlessly and cartoonishly high standards. If it's not a Dark Knight-level masterpiece and it doesn't hit the TikTok zeitgeist, then bombs away. Barbie and Oppenheimer both meet these criteria, and that's why they, in all likelihood, are going to be the final hits of the year. At this rate at least half the current industry's going to be out of a job by next year.

This movie needed a big opening weekend, because it's going to drop off a cliff in the following weeks. If MI8 turns out to be a franchise-ending, Josstice-levels-of-cringeworthy trainwreck that makes MI2 look like a masterpiece, then at least I know who to blame. Fuck. This shit makes me so fucking angry.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wut. I have never come close to knowing this either in all my years following box office… that’s insane. 

It was also the best-selling video of 1991, and when it was aired on network TV in 1992 and 1993, it drew 20-30M viewers each time. Just sheer insanity for an R-rated movie about a sex worker. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I understand why people would avoid low effort nostalgia bait crap with shitty looking visuals like The  Flash and Indy 5 but an actual good well made action film? What the actual hell 

People aren't avoiding this. They're just going to wait until it's home for $20 a pop/on Paramount+ for free.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Next weekend will be amazing and it is a rare kind of event that is helping both movies. After that I don't see anything else hitting 200m domestic for the rest of year. Maybe the Marvels can eke it out.

Wonka is already giving me some Barbie energy. If it’s well liked, huge family feel good holiday movie waiting to happen there. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If MI8 turns out to be a franchise-ending, Josstice-levels-of-cringeworthy trainwreck that makes MI2 look like a masterpiece

...is there evidence of that happening?

Also MI2 is a good movie, so like????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

MI7 got caught up in the perfect shitstorm. Its primary demographic doesn't go to the movies anymore. And the demographic which does has ruthlessly and cartoonishly high standards. If it's not a Dark Knight-level masterpiece and it doesn't hit the TikTok zeitgeist, then bombs away. Barbie and Oppenheimer both meet these criteria, and that's why they, in all likelihood, are going to be the final hits of the year. At this rate at least half the current industry's going to be out of a job by next year.

This movie needed a big opening weekend, because it's going to drop off a cliff in the following weeks. If MI8 turns out to be a franchise-ending, Josstice-levels-of-cringeworthy trainwreck that makes MI2 look like a masterpiece, then at least I know who to blame. Fuck. This shit makes me so fucking angry.

older audiences don’t come out that much and the ones that are are distracted with Sound of Freedom. Younger audiences don’t care about this franchise. They only go to Marvel and TikTok meme movies 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

TMNT and The Meg will do well, no? 

TMNT should be fine, not sure about Meg 2. The first was considered an only okay movie (and didn't demand a sequel) and this is one arrive half a decade later. It reminds me of many action sequels that saw diminished returns. Will still be bigger than anything else that comes out the rest of August though in all likelihood.