CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

37 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m getting tired of the budget being brought into question. It had to cost that much to finish as it had been in production for literally years.  They didn’t overspend. They started before a worldwide pandemic so do the maths. 

Budget is always the 2nd thing BOT looks at during OW. Why should we ignore the budget for Mi7, but trash Indy and The Flash for the same thing? Feels kind hypocritical of to me 

Not saying Mi7 is a flop or anything, but budget just can't be ignored. 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 14

I do wish Mission: Impossible was making more, but "mid opening followed by long legs" has been the franchise's M.O. since Ghost Protocol. Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom throw a bit of a wrench into this situation, but I still think it's going to be more of a long play than your typical mega-budget blockbuster.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Suicide Squad,

I, Tonya,

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Good points. And I loved all those movies too. But it is safe to say that she's had her share of disasters.

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

And only I, Tonya was carried by her.

But that wasn’t really the question was it?

I’m not saying she’s a leading lady that has a ton of hits under her belt, but I also don’t think she’s the reason why Amsterdam or Babylon bombed. 

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

Good points. And I loved all those movies too. But it is safe to say that she's had her share of disasters.

I say that Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad was mostly bad luck and bad timing. Sure both bombed, but I really dig the two films, own them on digital and everything.

44 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There was zero reason for him to be lured in by a paycheck with Barbie, it was clear he must love the movie presented to him. That gave me big time faith in it being a breakout. 

Gosling did Gray Man. Nuff said.

How has @across the Jat verse formed such a network all across the world where he gets the box office estimates before recognized trade analysts. Jatinder lives a rural village in Punjab, India and knows about the box office trends in Maryland or Florida better than trade analysts living in LA. This is mind boggling!! He was the first one to tell us that Paramount is adding 2.5 million from preview shows to their Friday numbers. How the hell did he know that before any of the trade analysts? Does anyone know how he became such a beast of a box office analyst? 

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Gosling did Gray Man. Nuff said.

I do think he's in his paycheck era since coming back (took a couple years off in between First Man and Gray Man). What he's got coming up is David Leitch's The Fall Guy and maybe a wolfman movie. Not the same vibe as the stuff he was doing a decade ago. if he can still do great work within that, like with Barbie, then that's cool.

Edited by CoolioD1

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

But that wasn’t really the question was it?

I’m not saying she’s a leading lady that has a ton of hits under her belt, but I also don’t think she’s the reason why Amsterdam or Babylon bombed. 

She's not the reason they bombed, but she's not a draw either. Maybe Barbie will change that, we'll see.

To do my part to save Tom's weekend, I went ahead and finally used my 3 Atom codes (and 4 of my monthly credits) and got tickets for MI7 at 6:45pm tomorrow.  I shouldn't mention that I was the 5th-11th seats sold for a 100 seat theater...and if I went at 7:20pm, I'd have been the 1st in a 220 seat one.

No PLF for me, b/c well, the going rate of non-PLF is now $16.50 (or so Cinemark told me in my savings), so still a member savings...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I do think he's in his paycheck era since coming back (took a couple years off in between First Man and Gray Man). What he's got coming up is David Leitch's The Fall Guy and maybe a wolfman movie. Not the same vibe as the stuff he was doing a decade ago. if he can still do great work within that, like with Barbie, then that's cool.

There is a sense that he's chasing interesting projects. Even back in the days he'd go after projects with more unknown or newer directors rather than the masters, like some of the hot young actors usually do, like Driver who almost exclusively works with such masters.

I also think he's going more commercial flair these days, but working with Gerwig, Lord and Miller and even Leitch who has a pretty distinctive action style seems to still be on brand. Maybe he just ditches the indie stuff that made him famous,

I mean I work at Target, and Barbie makes up a major presence in our toy section. And the Barbie trailer has played in front of kids titles like Mario and Elemental. There was even a girl next to me before Elemental who was ultra hyped when she saw the trailer starting to play. I think it's a stretch to say Barbie is a total nobody to kids today.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Eric Stickell said:

I mean I work at Target, and Barbie makes up a major presence in our toy section. And the Barbie trailer has played in front of kids titles like Mario and Elemental. There was even a girl next to me before Elemental who was ultra hyped when she saw the trailer starting to play. I think it's a stretch to say Barbie is a total nobody to kids today.

People thinking that this won’t be massive with kids are just not paying attention. Yes kids play with iPads, cellphones and videogames, but also with dolls, action figures, etc.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

People thinking that this won’t be massive with kids are just not paying attention. Yes kids play with iPads, cellphones and videogames, but also with dolls, action figures, etc.

I know my plan is to try and keep my daughter away from tablets etc for as long as possible and keep her distracted with toys, books and colouring. Whether I succeed with this is another matter 😅