Eric the IF

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

No, no. There is nothing subtle about it, as I said. But it's not supposed to be subtle. If you completely disagree with the message that is quite literally being shouted at you, then chances are you won't like it.

Oh well, I guess I will have to find out for myself. I think I must have misread. Still appreciate the answer because it seems I can't find an opinion of the movie that isn't on one side of the spectrum or the other.

Edited by Austin

32 minutes ago, 21C said:

It has nothing to do with her being a woman and more to do with the fact that there are probably only about 4 directors the general audience even knows  by name and Greta isn't one of them.

But we’re not talking about the same thing. 

Nobody is saying the movie opened with 160M because of Greta which seems to be your point, and everyone agreed. Arguably, Oppenheimer also didn’t opened with +80M because of Nolan, even if obviously a bigger portion of the audiences is because of him compared to Greta.

We’re just saying she is a relevant part of the success, like i said the whole viral memes about it started because of Greta, we can’t pretend this is nothing just because it isn’t the bigger draw.

reallly busy these days but I just wanna pop in and say

Goddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

what a performnce for those movies. Let's go! No sequels/franchises too

This is what needs to happen to show Hollywood that original movies can really perform 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

This is what needs to happen to show Hollywood that original movies can really perform 

Well, original movies when these have a big IP and nostalgia.

Edited by Kon

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No exception for Timothy?

The thing about "men are trash" is that the phrase is only relevant to the men who are trash. If you know you're not trash, which means you think women are cooler than everybody else, you ain't part of the problem. I'm not, Timothee isn't, you aren't. We're all good. And Cap can vouch for that.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

"Original"

Lol

In a sense yes they are but one has a very dedicated fanbase to the director and a recognizable name based on a historical figure and the other is one is based off one of the most popular toy brand/IPs of the past 50 years.

1 minute ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

The thing about "men are trash" is that the phrase is only relevant to the men who are trash. If you know you're not trash, which means you think women are cooler than everybody else, you ain't part of the problem. I'm not, Timothee isn't, you aren't. We're all good. And Cap can vouch for that.

I feel like I'm back in 2015 reading media analysis articles on some random blog.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Bainbridge said:

If you know you're not trash, which means you think women are cooler than everybody else, you ain't part of the problem.

Okay, but why does it have to be men v women? There is both shitty men and shitty women and great men and great women.

Edited by Austin

Barbie x Legally Blonde crossover

Holy fuck at the thought of Reese Witherspoon and Margot Robbie together.

$250m opening weekend

2 minutes ago, Austin said:

Okay, but why does it have to be men v women? There is both shitty men and shitty women and great men and great women.

It's probably not a great idea to pontificate on sayings that were popular on twitter seven years ago but are now only repeated by millennials who haven't moved on from the mid 2010s internet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Oppenheimer’s huge opening gives me hope for the future of more adult-targeted movies in theaters.

Guess we’ll find out in 3 months! And then again a month after that…

6 minutes ago, Austin said:

Because if you are objective and look at history you can see that one side has been worse to the other and it has had massive repercussions 

Barbie is a literally a campy comedy tackling this.

Edited by DisposedData

I am someone who doesn't care about directors except for Nolan and can hardly name up to 5 directors, but I definitely knew about Greta before Barbie. Also from all the information I have seen, I was under the impression that Barbie would of high quality because she directed it. She's probably not Cameron, Spielberg or Nolan level in terms of general public recognition but she's one of the few that has potential to get there.

• Like 2