Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Good call. I’d suggest She-Ra.

Almost too super-hero, I think...I really like My Little Pony b/c it has the decades of popularity, to include today, that Barbie has.  

If I wanted something off the wall, Care Bears could also be an interesting choice...and I admit J.E.M could have some more "event" possibilities...

Edited by TwoMisfits

16 minutes ago, Austin said:

Can someone with no bias to either side of the commentary sphere please tell me what the actual message delivered in Barbie was? I hear many things about the movie but one of the most common things I have heard is it is delivered rather heavy handedly and comes off as preachy at times. I'm just curious for expectations going in.

The message is that women are awesome.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

MLP is viewed as a huge joke by younger audiences. I think this is a very bad idea.

Well, so is Barbie.  My girls wouldn't own one.  Being a joke wouldn't be a problem with the right director and story...

I mean, I can keep ideas coming from the toy/tv girl world...

Beanie Babies has possibilities...

Littlest Pet Shop has possibilities...

Pound Puppies has possibilities...

Webkinz has possibilities...

Furby has possibilities...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Well, so is Barbie.  My girls wouldn't own one.  Being a joke wouldn't be a problem with the right director and story...

Yeah it's a completely different category. Barbie is still much more iconic and respected. MLP is just viewed as a weird brand for old men into beastality. There is literally a Bob's burgers episode poking fun at that whole idea lmao.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

WB literally scheduled Wonka and Color Purple a week apart. And we are talking about the same genre (musical) not counterprogramming. Dunka would be a better combo but I think that Dune II should stay in Noevember and take advantage of 2 holidays. 

Isn’t color purple just getting a limited release and going wide in January? Similar to American Sniper? 

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

The later Harry Potter films are underrated for their cinematography. Order of the Phoenix looks muddy but Half Blood Prince is beautiful.

Half Blood Prince is sublime to look at. Got an Oscar nomination for Cinematography too and well deserved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ngl, a Beanie Babies movie that could actually utilize the nostalgia of it all effectively could be kinda awesome… I’m thinking like Toy Story meets Pokémon “why is our purpose just to be collected?”

I also selfishly want this to be a big thing so those damn things in boxes of mine are finally worth something again  

• Like 1

Obviously most people doesn’t know who directs any movie unless it’s Nolan or someone like that 

But Greta is a powerhouse, even if not a huge one.

Lady Bird was the biggest A24 movie by a big margin at some point, Little Women is a very successful mid-budget movie and the whole buzz around Barbie begin because it was a Greta Gerwig movie and social media was having a blast imagining how she would make a Barbie movie. 

Sure, after that the marketing skyrocket for a number of other reasons, but if it wasn’t for how it started with social media making memes about Greta doing it, maybe it would never take off the way it did. 

Not saying is wrong to question things obviously, but i think we have to be fair especially with women which already have to deal with so many people downplaying them.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The problem is that literally every studio is going to be doing this tomorrow morning, but none of them seem like something they could replicate what Barbie just did. At best it’s another Trolls franchise?

28 minutes ago, Austin said:

Can someone with no bias to either side of the commentary sphere please tell me what the actual message delivered in Barbie was? I hear many things about the movie but one of the most common things I have heard is it is delivered rather heavy handedly and comes off as preachy at times. I'm just curious for expectations going in.

There is little subtlety, but it's intentional. And even though it's obvious, it's still full of creativity. Whether or not you like what it has to say DOES depend on which side you fall. If you're a normal adult you'll understand why it's saying what it's saying and enjoy the creative and amusing way it's being done. If you're a snowflake, well...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

MV5BMmZlZTVkNDUtNTlmNC00ZDI3LWI1YmQtNmE1

1 hour ago, reddevil19 said:

There's an argument to be made that Nolan had Following, Memento and Insomnia before the big budget blockbuster (so three movies in), but also that Twitter didn't exist and Facebook had barely started when Begins came out. "Name recognition" now differs completely from two decades ago because of the way information is dispersed. Comparing the two at the same points in their career is a bit pointless. It's undoubtable that Gerwig has some recognition but the extent of it and how well that translates into actual box office draw will not be understood until her next theatrically released project.

I was waiting for someone to post a sensible comment in a sea full of dumb ass posts 

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Not saying is wrong to question things obviously, but i think we have to be fair especially with women which already have to deal with so many people downplaying them.

It has nothing to do with her being a woman and more to do with the fact that there are probably only about 4 directors the general audience even knows  by name and Greta isn't one of them.

• Like 3