Eric Lasagna

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

2 hours ago, 21C said:

Which female-driven IP should studios go after next? 

I was gonna say I had a couple of YA book series in mind for that, but then I've realized that Shadow & Bones has already become a pretty good Netflix series, A Court of Thorns and Roses is already being developed by Hulu, Daughter of Smoke and Bone has been in development hell for a decade with Universal, and so is The Cruel Prince, meanwhile Legend keeps changing hands, An Amber in the Ashes is with Paramount and...

Point being, Hollywood and streaming services are already on top of that YA books market I guess.

Edited by Arlborn

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's probably not a great idea to pontificate on sayings that were popular on twitter seven years ago but are now only repeated by millennials who haven't moved on from the mid 2010s internet.

I'm lost. Your intellect is too much for me. What are you trying to say?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

Because if you are objective and look at history you can see that one side has been worse to the other and it has had massive repercussions 

Barbie is a literally a campy comedy tackling this.

So all men are trash then? Tf???

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Pontificate isn’t even a big word.

I know what it means but what are you trying to say. your wording was too confusing for me to understand what you were getting at.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Austin said:

I know what it means but what are you trying to say. your wording was too confusing for me to understand what you were getting at.

Men are trash: popular to say on twitter 2015/16

Milennials: big on twitter during that time

I really have no idea what you were confused with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

It's probably not a great idea to pontificate on sayings that were popular on twitter seven years ago but are now only repeated by millennials who haven't moved on from the mid 2010s internet.

Some messages are timeless

• Like 1

I know a lot of folk have been down on The Marvels and superhero flicks in general. Considering the power behind Barbie, is there a chance The Marvels surprises, do to being so women centric? Especially with the last Marvel flicks going over rather well? I'm not talking crazy money, but 600m+?

It would have to review well of course.

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Men are trash: popular to say on twitter 2015/16

Milennials: big on twitter during that time

I really have no idea what you were confused with.

I didn't use Twitter until this year. I'm Gen Z.

I think I have working theory as to why I was confused.

30 minutes ago, Austin said:

"Original"

Lol

In a sense yes they are but one has a very dedicated fanbase to the director and a recognizable name based on a historical figure and the other is one is based off one of the most popular toy brand/IPs of the past 50 years.

Writing off the success of these movies with this rationale is wack, tbh

• Like 3

Just now, BluKyberCrystal said:

I know a lot of folk have been down on The Marvels and superhero flicks in general. Considering the power behind Barbie, is there a chance The Marvels surprises, do to being so women centric? Especially with the last Marvel flicks going over rather well? I'm not talking crazy money, but 600m+?

It would have to review well of course.

One films success doesnt really indicate another ones as well. We just saw that with Mission Impossible, where many thought Top Gun Maverick should give it a boost, but it didnt.

The Marvels i think will be seen less as a "women-centric film" and more like ... the next MCU movie. The first Captain Marvel itself didnt have a noticably bigger female audience share than other MCU films. And while GOTG 3 was a great success, Ant-Man 3's bad shadow imo still plays a role in the perception of the GA about the MCU.

Personally, i think The Marvels will land in the 400-500M region, similar to Ant-Man 3. Not a bomb, not a real success either. I just dont see the selling point in it, since Captain Marvel and the other characters in it arent really the Marvel A-Game characters. Of course, like with every prediction, i could be totally wrong.

• Like 1