Eric Burnett

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I followed Spidey 1 in the newspaper lmfao 

That was an awesome weekend. Spider-man 1, Avengers, and TDK are in a bucket where ultra hyped movie is awesome and just explodes beyond belief. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I was def one of the kids fueling it lol, and it never really dawned on me the

movie kinda sucked until I was a bit older. It is hard to believe it wouldn’t have been closer to the phenomenon of ANH with OT fan support though. I have definitely heard the “legends” of box office fans and analysts predicting over Titanic DOM… 

Haha, you're one of THOSE kids. :P ;)

I was in the group who were born too early to enjoy the prequels, but too late (born 1985) to see the original movies in theaters. I did see the original films a ton on VHS and TV broadcasts in the old days. I didn't even bother watching TPM or Attack of the Clones in theaters. My cousin was 6 years younger than me and she was obsessed with Queen Amidala. I had a "shrug" view of it at the time, and only showed up at the theater for Revenge of the Sith because of Vader's involvement. 

Want real old?

T2, Matrix Reloaded, TDK, and TDKR = "coolest" blockbusters since 1990. Teenagers, college kids, and young adults were just OBSESSED. Not many kids or families at all yet they broke or came close to breaking record.

Independence Day is the most unique hype I've ever seen. 1 off alien disaster film was hyped like Infinity War.

The Mummy 1999, Pearl Harbor 2001, and King Kong 2005 were my all time most hyped films ASIDE from TDK trilogy and MOS. Harbor marketing in particular was GOAT level, such a shame about that horrid script.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Haha, you're one of THOSE kids. :P ;)

I was in the group who were born too early to enjoy the prequels, but too late (born 1985) to see the original movies in theaters. I did see the original films a ton on VHS and TV broadcasts in the old days. I didn't even bother watching TPM or Attack of the Clones in theaters. My cousin was 6 years younger than me and she was obsessed with Queen Amidala. I had a "shrug" view of it at the time, and only showed up at the theater for Revenge of the Sith because of Vader's involvement. 

I know the re-releases started the first true SW backlash in the fandom, but they were a freaking brilliant move ahead of the PT. Seemed like the OT just exploded in popularity after that with kids around my age, as if it was brand new. 

• Like 1

Biggest weekend in Australia since Endgame opened and by sheer coincidence.

#Barbenheimmer 4 day weekend = AUD34.09m

Endgame 4 day weekend = AUD34.09m

• Like 2
  • Astonished 4

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Yes way. 

A film everyone expected to $120/350 doing $158/531!  Crushed every record in existence and then held like an utter champ! And it was just so, so awesome. Titanic and Avatar were just leggier holiday films, Spider-man was indeed dope and similar to TDK. Force Awakens was cool too.

But TDK is what would have happened if Matrix Reloaded was awesome. It had a strange hold on the 16-30 crowd that we have not seen since other than TDKR

It definitely overperformed tracking in a huge way. One thing I remember was the Thursday or Friday of release, a buddy at work predicted that it would break the opening weekend record. I told him that's extremely hard to do because Spidey 3 had shattered the old record by a large margin pretty recently. He said EVERYONE wants to see Heath Ledger in this thing. Turned out he was right, lol

It definitely overperformed tracking in a huge way. One thing I remember was the Thursday or Friday of release, a buddy at work predicted that it would break the opening weekend record. I told him that's extremely hard to do because Spidey 3 had shattered the old record by a large margin pretty recently. He said EVERYONE wants to see Heath Ledger in this thing. Turned out he was right, lol

no kidding.

Extremely sad to say but if he didn't pass away, it probably opens $115mish mark and legs out to high $300m. Huge hit but Ledger's death not only increased awareness to 100%, it made everyone feel compelled to see it. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And there are people who were small kids during that time who swear that the prequel movies are the best version of Star Wars, so I think that lines up with the idea that this portion of the audience helped drive the movie's success.

I was 5 when Phantom Menace came out. Caught it on video and I thought it was boring as shit except the lightsaber duel

• Like 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

no kidding.

Extremely sad to say but if he didn't pass away, it probably opens $115mish mark and legs out to high $300m. Huge hit but Ledger's death not only increased awareness to 100%, it made everyone feel compelled to see it. 

.... I really don't think that's true.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

.... I really don't think that's true.

He's probably not far off. TDK might have been able to get to low 400's, which would have been amazing considering Batman Begins had to struggle to make 205. That would have shown tremendous growth, in part from Joker's involvement, in part from Batman Begins finding new audience on DVD, in part because of TDK's overall quality and Ledger's insanely good performance. But sadly his death put all of these factors on steroids and probably added another $125-130M to the domestic total. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

He's probably not far off. TDK might have been able to get to low 400's, which would have been amazing considering Batman Begins had to struggle to make 205. That would have shown tremendous growth, in part from Joker's involvement, in part from Batman Begins finding new audience on DVD, in part because of TDK's overall quality and Ledger's insanely good performance. But sadly his death put all of these factors on steroids and probably added another $125-130M to the domestic total. 

"struggle" is more like it. To get to that number after the stink of the previous two Batman movies is quite impressive.

Edited by mldardy

media coverage heaths pasing had an insane effect on film awareness. everyone in America knew about the movie 6 months in advance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

accurate depiction of an alt right youtuber watching barbie

😂😂😂😂😂 😂😂 

It's weird, I'm new to box office compared to many posters here, but it's been about 10 years for me. Signed up here and on hsx in 2013 (and a bunch of other box office games over the years). Good times.

• Like 2