Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

A film that was in development hell for years, Margot having a patchy box office history at best, female targeted movie in the blockbuster summer, over $100m budget, Barbie not having the best reputation for the past decade, countless failed IP film launches in recent years, toxicity online towards anything female driven etc etc etc.

It was a risk, this doesn’t happen often to female lead/targeted films.  

I really dislike this BOT narrative about Margot Robbie "having a patchy box office history". It’s not the first time I read it and it’s kinda mind boggling to me. It completely erases how much popular Robbie was as Harley Quinn, and another thing that bothers me is the "people wanted to watch Suicide Squad because of Jared Leto’s Joker". People were creeped out by Leto already back then. If anything he was the one being a deterrence to that film, not Margot Robbie and Will Smith. Actually, both of them were the best reasons to watch that film. It’s fucking awful, but "patchy box office history"? Come the fuck on. 

I, Tonya was a success as an indie film, Suicide Squad made bank despite being awful and she clearly was a big selling point for both Wolf of Wall Street and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, regardless how short her role is. Margot is one of the most popular Hollywood actresses in a great while. It’s not her fault that Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad sucked so much that soured people on Birds of Prey and the stupidly named but brilliant The Suicide Squad.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

With that good Sat number for Oppy but well under the $28m estimate earlier last night, I imagine we're looking at $80-81m (15-19% SUN drop)?

Oppy SUN hold should be even better than Barbie, though long runtime may hurt night sales a bit.

• Thanks 1

It just come off as sexist shit in my head. I mean, Suicide Squad was a success but Morbius bombed and Leto is on the new Tron whatever that will also likely bomb. I don’t know fam but there is a pattern here and clearly isn’t Margot Robbie’s fault there.

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

OK, let's think of it in comparison to the OW record for 97. The Lost World did 72m 3 day over memorial day, so Titanic is around 40/45% of the OW record for 97. The equivalent today would be say a 150m opening weekend. Wouldn't exactly call 30m mid level in that time at all

Not sure why you need to focus on OW record (also Lost World and Engame are so far away from the pack at their respective times they shouldn't be used for any kind of math IMO)

Just look at the OWs from back then

So $28M would a top 10 OW for year and with standard holiday legs for that time a top 3 annual grosser (fwiw - I didn't say "mid", was more commenting about how "December record" really didn't mean that much back then)

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

Sunday AM writethru after Saturday PM: update If you weren’t at Barbie or Oppenheimer, or both movies this weekend, consider yourself square.

Updated figures this AM show Warner Bros.’ new franchise based on the Mattel doll at $48.1M (-32% from Friday/previews), for what is shaping up to still be a $155M start; the biggest opening of 2023. Others believe in their bones this Greta Gerwing directed, Margot Robbie-Ryan Gosling combo is destined for $160M. Warners isn’t a studio to get over their skis in estimates.

Meanwhile, Oppenheimer might be about a bomb, but it’s certainly not a bomb in the box office sense of the word with the Universal Christopher Nolan directed movie eyed $25.8M on Saturday, -22% from Friday night/previews of $33M for what’s shaping up to be an awesome $80M opening. These figures were as of last night; we’ll let you know when Universal has AM updates. As we spotted on Thursday night, Oppenheimer looked like it was going to emulate the box office trajectory of the R-rated X-Men title, Logan. That pic’s first day/previews was also $33M, however had a $31.3M Saturday for what turned out to be an $88.4M opening. Point is, audiences are approaching this Nolan movie like a comic-book movie, not the adult drama that it is. In fact both movies’ fervent fans are owning it in their cinema attire, dressing up like the characters in Barbie and Oppenheimer.

Barbie cost a net of $128M before P&A, while Oppenheimer cost around $100M.

Box Office metrics company EntTelligence reports that four out of five moviegoers went to see Barbie or Oppenheimer this weekend with the former generating 52% of the overall admission traffic, Oppenheimer repping 27%, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning drawing 6.5% and Sound of Freedom pulling in 5.6%.

For those who didn’t do their box office homework, we’ve had a late July Christopher Nolan pic vs. female demo tentpole face-off before back in 2008; in fact it was a Warner Bros-Universal fight as well. However, Nolan was in the No. 1 spot. That battle was Dark Knight ($158.4M opening) versus Mamma Mia! ($27.7M).

Arguments could be made that Barbie raised Oppenheimer‘s boat, however, that loss of Imax screens has Paramount’s Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning taking a second weekend hit of -65% with $19M, and running total of $118.2M. Sequel’s second Saturday business of $7.5M was up over Friday’s $5.5M by +35%.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I really dislike this BOT narrative about Margot Robbie "having a patchy box office history". It’s not the first time I read it and it’s kinda mind boggling to me. It completely erases how much popular Robbie was as Harley Quinn, and another thing that bothers me is the "people wanted to watch Suicide Squad because of Jared Leto’s Joker". People were creeped out by Leto already back then. If anything he was the one being a deterrence to that film, not Margot Robbie and Will Smith. Actually, both of them were the best reasons to watch that film. It’s fucking awful, but "patchy box office history"? Come the fuck on. 

I, Tonya was a success as an indie film, Suicide Squad made bank despite being awful and she clearly was a big selling point for both Wolf of Wall Street and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, regardless how short her role is. Margot is one of the most popular Hollywood actresses in a great while. It’s not her fault that Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad sucked so much that soured people on Birds of Prey and the stupidly named but brilliant The Suicide Squad.

Margot Robbies filmography is mostly composed of successes and a few extreme bombs and i think since the bombs happened in more recent times, the notion of her beeing box office poison stuck for some people.

I disagree with that btw, i think films like Babylon, Amsterdam or The Suicide Squad would have bombed regardless of the actors involved in it.

• Like 1