Eric is Quiet

C’MON BARBIE LET'S GO PARTY...AT LOS ALAMOS | BARBENHEIMER WEEKEND THREAD | We’re Thriving in our Plastic Fantastic Era | Mother Mothered with 162M | Daddy Exploded with 82.4M

Your Barbenheimer weekend plans  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to watch this weekend specifically?

5 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I still haven't watched any of the Potter movies. But I have watched a few of the Hunger Games movies. That's some blasphemy for Noctis. I'm expecting him to show up as the Grim Reaper and take me out. Lol

I also never watched a single Potter or any of the Fast and Furious films lol. Stopped watching M:I after 2. I’m an heretic, but I did watch all the Hunger Games. Those were cool. It’s curious ‘cause I watched Battle Royale first, a Brazilian channel ran some crazy Japanese films and among them was that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

I also never watched a single Potter or any of the Fast and Furious films lol. Stopped watching M:I after 2. I’m an heretic, but I did watch all the Hunger Games. Those were cool. It’s curious ‘cause I watched Battle Royale first, a Brazilian channel ran some crazy Japanese films and among them was that one.

I really liked the original Fast & Furious movie back in the day, but I've only watched a couple of the sequels. You should check out Mission Impossible sequels, beginning with Ghost Protocol. They are all very well done from 2011 to now. But it is definitely a "tired" concept in a lot of ways, no question about that. 

I really am convinced that the success of Super Mario Bros invalidates whatever "auteur directors are important for blockbusters" takes you could get from Barbie. Autership might be important in some situations like maybe CBMs (and even then only until very recently) but for unexploited mega-popular IP is really is a stretch to think it is. 

Edited by 21C

1 minute ago, 21C said:

I really am convinced that the success of Super Mario Bros invalidates whatever "auteur directors are important for blockbusters" takes you could get from Barbie. Autership might be important in some situations like maybe CBMs (and only then only until very recently) but for unexploited mega-popular IP is really is a stretch to think it is. 

I don't think anyone would've cared for a super mario type of film for barbie. Meme curiosity started turning into genuine interest for the film as it became clear that it was a genuinely good film.

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I really liked the original Fast & Furious movie back in the day, but I've only watched a couple of the sequels. You should check out Mission Impossible sequels, beginning with Ghost Protocol. They are all very well done from 2011 to now. But it is definitely a "tired" concept in a lot of ways, no question about that. 

I blame Nicholas Cage and Angelina Jolie for souring me on the whole fury road genre not named Mad Max. 60 Seconds is awful and I remember that the movie patron allowed me to watch for free while I waited for the premiere of X-Men.

And yeah, I should give M:I a shot eventually. I will look if it’s available on something else than Paramount and try to give it a go eventually.

3 minutes ago, 21C said:

I really am convinced that the success of Super Mario Bros invalidates whatever "auteur directors are important for blockbusters" takes you could get from Barbie. Autership might be important in some situations like maybe CBMs (and even then only until very recently) but for unexploited mega-popular IP is really is a stretch to think it is. 

well sure

IP makes $500+m dom

Auteur movies can get to $150m dom if they're luck and $250m dom if they hit the jackpot like Oppenheimer did

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig are getting the attention but another winner is David Heyman who's one of the producers and is also producing Wonka.

I mean he was a producer on the Potter films, Marriage Story, and was hand chosen by Tarantino to produce Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

These could be a fun few movies to track Barbie against. Gives a good min/max final range of 380-580. Pretty unrealistic that it hits the top or bottom of that range, but at least it’s a good comparison point. And tbh, right in the middle of that range at 480 does feel pretty solid as a guess right now. That’s essentially a 3x multiplier, assuming actuals come up slightly.

The dark knight: late July release, almost identical opening weekend, strong legs (3.34)

The dark knight rises: late July release, almost identical opening weekend, average-decent legs (2.8)

The lion king: late July release, +30ish opening, average-decent legs (2.84)

Deathly hallows part 2: late July release, +10 opening, weak legs (2.24)

Mario: 2023 champ, comparing more for fun/ to establish the upper bounds. Non-summer release, very strong legs (3.94)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Barbie-(2023)/Dark-Knight-The/Dark-Knight-Rises-The/Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-Part-II/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)/Lion-King-The-(Live-Action)-(2019)#tab=week_comparison

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I mean he was a producer on the Potter films, Marriage Story, and was hand chosen by Tarantino to produce Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

And Paddington. The guy is a certified hit-maker, particularly for the UK market.

Just now, cannastop said:

both.

Millennial directors who are household names.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that most people who've watched Barbie still have no idea who Greta is. The GA is not that deep into online discourse. I think it takes years and multiple hits for a director to build up enough recognition to be known to the general audience. Greta is not there, not even close imo. An argument could be made for Peele, as he at least has been able to generate hype for movies that are genunely original.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ororo Munroe said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that most people who've watched Barbie still have no idea who Greta is. The GA is not that deep into online discourse. I think it takes years and multiple hits for a director to build up enough recognition to be known to the general audience. Greta is not there, not even close imo. An argument could be made for Peele, as he at least has been able to generate hype for movies that are genunely original.  

well hey I liked Lady Bird

41 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am thinking Marvels would have done sub 350 ww in the og spot facing Barbie. Just hoping for a miracle that Ms Marvel finally finds the audience it deserves on ABC this fall, and the movie turns out amazing with great WOM. Otherwise, could still be a sub 500 situation. 

The problem is that they're not showing Ms. Marvel on ABC in the fall. They're burning it off on two Saturdays in August, which makes no sense if they truly want to promote the character.

https://abc.com/news/insider/watch-ms-marvel-disney-plus-original-series-on-abc-all-episodes-streaming-now-on-disney-plus

Edited by KC7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KC7 said:

The problem is that they're not showing Ms. Marvel on ABC in they fall. They're burning it off on two Saturdays in August, which makes no sense if they truly want to promote the character.

https://abc.com/news/insider/watch-ms-marvel-disney-plus-original-series-on-abc-all-episodes-streaming-now-on-disney-plus

Welp, nevermind. Not that teenagers watch TV anyways… 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 hours ago, Maggie said:

Casey mumble Aflleck is the best actor? He was the worst part of Oppenheimer. You really can't understand what he says. His diction is so bad

He was fucking awesome in that scene. Stop.

5 minutes ago, Nate said:

These could be a fun few movies to track Barbie against. Gives a good min/max final range of 380-580. Pretty unrealistic that it hits the top or bottom of that range, but at least it’s a good comparison point. And tbh, right in the middle of that range at 480 does feel pretty solid as a guess right now. That’s essentially a 3x multiplier, assuming actuals come up slightly.

The dark knight: late July release, almost identical opening weekend, strong legs (3.34)

The dark knight rises: late July release, almost identical opening weekend, average-decent legs (2.8)

The lion king: late July release, +30ish opening, average-decent legs (2.84)

Deathly hallows part 2: late July release, +10 opening, weak legs (2.24)

Mario: 2023 champ, comparing more for fun/ to establish the upper bounds. Non-summer release, very strong legs (3.94)

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Barbie-(2023)/Dark-Knight-The/Dark-Knight-Rises-The/Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-Part-II/Super-Mario-Bros-Movie-The-(2022)/Lion-King-The-(Live-Action)-(2019)#tab=week_comparison

TLKs legs were horrific for a summer film aimed at families. Esp when we’ve had far less family fare bigger openers like TFA, JW, and TA sprint past 3x. 

16 minutes ago, 21C said:

The cynical in me wants to agree with this, but then again I keep thinking how wild it is that James Gunn went from writing Scooby-Doo films that I liked but didn’t pay enough mind to look at the credits to Dawn of the Dead and blow my mind off making me love Zack Snyder out of all directors with a lot of ideas that now I know better that came from him with Dawn of the Dead to direct and write one of my favorite trilogies of all time and now take over Superman.

My point is, who knows. Your post made me look it up who even were the directors of SMB and they directed Teen Titans Go! movie and a bunch of DC shows so idk, maybe one of them will turn out to be the next James Gunn or create some magic with Pixar or something. SMB is incredibly formulaic, but who knows.

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Emotion Reaction GIF

Halloween GIF

ghosts side GIF

Edited by ZattMurdock