upriser7

Weekday numbers July 24-27

Just now, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Of course Endgame is amazing but TFA's second weekend is the most astonishing to me, alongside a $149m monster you somehow had 3 movies open to 10m+, a 4th that opened to 9.8m and then a bunch of other movies holding ridiculously well. Hopefully one day cinema can get back to having that depth.

Memorial Day 2013 doesn’t get enough credit either, because it wasn’t one huge opening but more spread around. Fast & Furious 6, Hangover III, Epic all opened, plus strong holdovers. Only $6.5M in previews too, with Hang3 opening Thursday since neither film was willing to move off that spot 

So many nightmares looking back over this list … I know box office watchers, want the huge numbers, but from an operational perspective, there’s an upper limit on how much business theaters can properly handle 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

It's interesting. If I remember, TGM skewed more heavily white, too? So, does this mean there is a section of white people who only come out for white-led films (e.g., TGM, Barbieheimmer - even Indy, which is a bomb, still skewed heavily white) and/or does it mean more people of color tend to come out for films with more diverse leads (Spiderverse, Mermaid, even GOTG3)? Really interested in what the diversity demos for Haunted Mansion will be. 

I will say, as someone who enjoyed both Barbieheimmer movies, I have found some of the rhetoric around Barbie curious. Not so much on BOT, but I've seen subtle digs about how "this is what happens when you cast correctly/perfectly and don't mess w/ people's childhoods," which feel like subtle digs at TLM. 

Those type of comments might be directed at the Amy Schumer Barbie project from earlier years. Probably a good thing they ended up with Robbie. 

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Those type of comments might be directed at the Amy Schumer Barbie project from earlier years. Probably a good thing they ended up with Robbie. 

I agree and think some of it was about Schumer, but some of it was definitely about TLM. 

11 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

It's interesting. If I remember, TGM skewed more heavily white, too? So, does this mean there is a section of white people who only come out for white-led films (e.g., TGM, Barbieheimmer - even Indy, which is a bomb, still skewed heavily white) and/or does it mean more people of color tend to come out for films with more diverse leads (Spiderverse, Mermaid, even GOTG3)? Really interested in what the diversity demos for Haunted Mansion will be. 

I will say, as someone who enjoyed both Barbieheimmer movies, I have found some of the rhetoric around Barbie curious. Not so much on BOT, but I've seen comments about how "this is what happens when you cast correctly/perfectly and don't mess w/ people's childhoods," which feel like subtle digs at TLM. 

I don't think the people who came out for Barbenheimer are necessarily the same people who came out for TGM. Oppenheimer  skewed lot more caucasian than normal but it also skewed very young (18-24 yr olds) and also quite urban heavy. These young caucasians who live in urban areas are lot lot more liberal than caucasians who turned out for TGM who were lot more older and less urban. Oppenheimer did not have a big turnout from rural/middle America like TGM did. You might find more overlap in Sound of Freedom vs TGM audience than Oppenheimer vs TGM audience

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Why not?Barbie doing 60m global Monday and Oppy doing near 30m

They open 545m globally

Because I don't think oppenheimer's going to do 800 million worldwide and I think it's going to need something like that to hit 2 billion. So I don't see it happening

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's funny that we can say "A summer movie starring Amy Schumer as Barbie" and pinpoint the 18 month window when that could have been in development pretty accurately. Basically between Trainwreck/Inside Amy Schumer S3 and Snatched/her Netflix special.

• Like 1

I think 2 billion is very much in play here. The current trajectory sees BARBIE 1.25 billion and OP 750m. This could go up and down a bit, but can totally see it happening. Barbenheimer will dominate the rest of the summer and smash everything that's coming their way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

Because I don't think oppenheimer's going to do 800 million worldwide and I think it's going to need something like that to hit 2 billion. So I don't see it happening

Yeah, anything over 600 would be a great result. 800+ seems impossible. 

• Like 1

Oppenheimer doing 800 is definitely not impossible but may come down to what SK/China/Japan (??) deliver, plus italy adding up a bit to the total

very high-end, not sure about likelyhood, but it's not outside realm of possibilities

Edited by JustLurking

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

TFA's first two weeks were absolutely unreal and remain more impressive than even Endgames starting week for me. You had TWO weeks in a row where the overall box office was over 500M, that means more than a billion in box office revenue across 14 Days. It was baffling. Of course its Christmas Holidays, but still.

There have only been 4 times the entire domestic box office grossed $500M+ for a Fri-Thu Week: Endgame, TFA first two weeks (two of those needing previews rolled in), and ... Avatar's second/Xmas week (w/o previews!). There's only like 10 that even got to $450M, and some of those needing previews (mostly Star Wars/Christmas weeks)

I know Avatar's run (rightly) gets all the attention, but the depth for that holiday period is something we'll probably never see again. People just really wanted to go to the movies

• Like 3

Do people think Oppie will come in second this upcoming weekend, or does Hauted Mansion have a chance (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)? I guess Weds/Thurs numbers will likely give a better sense of Oppie's trajectory. 

I want to re-watch Oppenheimer, but I also want to see HM. Wonder how much Barbieheimmer might affect HM. 

2 minutes ago, Hildagarde25 said:

Do people think Oppie will come in second this upcoming weekend, or does Hauted Mansion have a chance (sorry if this is the wrong place to ask)? I guess Weds/Thurs numbers will likely give a better sense of Oppie's trajectory. 

I want to re-watch Oppenheimer, but I also want to see HM. Wonder how much Barbieheimmer might affect HM. 

Just watch the Oppen Mansion. :D

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, anything over 600 would be a great result. 800+ seems impossible. 

Oppenheimer doing 80M+ on OW seemed impossible two weeks ago as well :redcapes:

Though i agree that 800M is a VERY lofty goal and 600M seems far more reasonable. But personally im done beeing conservative with Oppy at this point. 700M is my current prediction for it, which for a biopic, is insane and would probably be Nolans most impressive box office run, in the context of the films genre and type.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I think 2 billion is very much in play here. The current trajectory sees BARBIE 1.25 billion and OP 750m. This could go up and down a bit, but can totally see it happening. Barbenheimer will dominate the rest of the summer and smash everything that's coming their way.

Considering the schedule... that doesn't say much.

My problem is that I still have doubts about Oppenheimer's long-term performance in standard screens. Yes, IMAX is sold out for the next month, and that will help with drops, but I am still inclined to believe standard screens will drop at a higher rate once this initial rush dies down. SK can deliver a big number, Italy and Greece maybe 10 million between them, but China (and Japan if it even gets a release) will probably be quite insignificant. I'm keeping my expectations in check with a 600-650 ceiling for now (which, considering how much easier Interstellar was to sell to audiences based on its content, is a very impressive comparative total). 

Happy to be proven wrong, but way too early for me to get lost in the hype.