Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

14 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

I think that DP3 will test the limits of an R rating in terms of gross, but I'm going to say that even an Endgame-level result in real terms would probably only get it to around where IO2 is, and that's the best case scenario!

I wouldn't go that far as we do have The Matrix Reloaded as a counter-example.  That had *MEGA HYPE* (probably more hype than DP3, but I admit to being biased) but even as a Matrix fanboy I wouldn't claim it came close to Endgame level hype.

The real problem with bringing in MRel (as well as PotChrist) is that even with PLF/3D, 4day (w/Wed Midnights) and 5 day makes truly comping releases... difficult.  

Matrix Reloaded 3 day (using perhaps outdated ATP from Numbers) is 163m

Matrix Reloaded 4 day + midnights (ditto) is 238.5m

Split the difference between the two?  Get 200.8m

So to get a 200m OW all you need is The Matrix Reloaded level HYPE.  Easy peasy! 

But then there's the very real debate that focusing solely on ATP ignores the very real changes of audience buying patterns.

Anyway, the point of my post wasn't to say "it's impossible", as I def don't think it is.  I think it is saying "Folks, just think about the difficulty of the task here" since so many folks won't be viewing this film that normally might.

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I wouldn't go that far as we do have The Matrix Reloaded as a counter-example.  That had *MEGA HYPE* (probably more hype than DP3, but I admit to being biased) but even as a Matrix fanboy I wouldn't claim it came close to Endgame level hype.

The real problem with bringing in MRel (as well as PotChrist) is that even with PLF/3D, 4day (w/Wed Midnights) and 5 day makes truly comping releases... difficult.  

Matrix Reloaded 3 day (using perhaps outdated ATP from Numbers) is 163m

Matrix Reloaded 4 day + midnights (ditto) is 238.5m

Split the difference between the two?  Get 200.8m

So to get a 200m OW all you need is The Matrix Reloaded level HYPE.  Easy peasy! 

But then there's the very real debate that focusing solely on ATP ignores the very real changes of audience buying patterns.

Anyway, the point of my post wasn't to say "it's impossible", as I def don't think it is.  I think it is saying "Folks, just think about the difficulty of the task here" since so many folks won't be viewing this film that normally might.

Well I was referring moreso to what it would take for dp3 to hit #1 for the year, I personally think 200m OW is honestly decently likely based on the trends we've seen even if it's not the modal outcome, but that alone still wouldn't be enough for #1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Well I was referring moreso to what it would take for dp3 to hit #1 for the year, I personally think 200m OW is honestly decently likely based on the trends we've seen even if it's not the modal outcome, but that alone still wouldn't be enough for #1

Ah, fair enough.  Disregard then. 👍

Though, here, I would be far more concerned about reviews/WOM as we're now talking legs.  But that's outside the scope of this thread, IMO. 😉 

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Honestly, after these past two weekends, I don't think Deadpool and Wolverine is hitting #1 for the year. If it wants to even have a chance at overtaking Inside Out 2, it has to open with not just $200M, but more than that. Even then, that's betting it has legs akin to Jurassic World and The Avengers. 

I can't say it's 100% impossible for that to happen, but that's an insanely tall order to ask from a movie whose R-rating will limit some of the demographic that would usually turn out for a Marvel movie. I do think an opening weekend of $200M is possible (and likely considering the early pre-sales so far and the hype), but let's not try to go crazy with this. 

I'm sorry, but Quorum really shouldn't have put out those ridiculously high projections. Watch it come lower than $200M and the trades/internet will have a godforsaken panic attack about it just like what happened with John Kraskinski's IF (which only missed tracking by $5M by the way). 

• Like 5

I thought it was all but confirmed last weekend that IO2 was winning the year both WW and DOM

Nothing is touching $650M/$1.5B

Deadpool being held to that standard is a bit ridiculous considering many aren't even sure if it's going to do $1B

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 17

25 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I thought it was all but confirmed last weekend that IO2 was winning the year both WW and DOM

Nothing is touching $650M/$1.5B

Deadpool being held to that standard is a bit ridiculous considering many aren't even sure if it's going to do $1B

The last two had kinda similar gross between domestic and international, I really can't see it blowing as hard overseas as IO2 is currently doing.

Deadpool and Wolverine blowing up is doing anything over 1B imo. Anything from 750M+ is good. Inside Out ridiculous performance was obviously something nobody expected so it make sense why some looked at Deadpool to be that nr 1 movie. But that was always at a 1B-1.1B level. Won’t get close to Inside Out 2. Even with 30+ preview and 200M+ OW which still seems a tall order.

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 6:26 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

ORLANDO

Deadpool x Wolverine 

Thursday 

T-65

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

12.2%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

2nd day of sales

(1.281x) of GOTG$22.42M

probably the last update for a while. Considering this thing is 60+ days out, I'd say day 2 was amazing. 

ORLANDO

Deadpool x Wolverine 

Thursday 

T-30

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

17.3%

SEATS SOLD SINCE T-65

COMPS

T-30

(1.941x) of GOTG$33.96M

Hit the 7k target I set a few weeks ago. Amazing growth considering we still have 4 weeks left. I'm sticking with a way too early $35M+ number 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Deadpool and Wolverine blowing up is doing anything over 1B imo. Anything from 750M+ is good. Inside Out ridiculous performance was obviously something nobody expected so it make sense why some looked at Deadpool to be that nr 1 movie. But that was always at a 1B-1.1B level. Won’t get close to Inside Out 2. Even with 30+ preview and 200M+ OW which still seems a tall order.

Nobody???

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

On 3/9/2024 at 12:22 AM, TheFlatLannister said:

Well over $500M

Yes...Yes I do

ofc this is assuming the movie has similar reception to IO1

P.s.

$500M DOM gets IO2 to $1.2B assuming same DOM/OS split

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

24 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

ORLANDO

Deadpool x Wolverine 

Thursday 

T-30

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

17.3%

SEATS SOLD SINCE T-65

COMPS

T-30

(1.941x) of GOTG$33.96M

Hit the 7k target I set a few weeks ago. Amazing growth considering we still have 4 weeks left. I'm sticking with a way too early $35M+ number 

Is that including Fan Event showings for MTC1?

I ask, because for all of the talk about Sacramento "massively underperforming"...

%

Sold
T-30

Total

Sold

Sellouts

Shows

Seats Left

Total Seats

Perct

Sold

Final

Sold

% of

Final

Comp

GOTG3

0/205

27411/29568

7.30%

51.89%

45.25m

This would be for last night, obs.

Just would have thought a GOTG3 comp (which would have been only on its second day of sales) would have been much higher out of Orlando, unless I'm missing something here (which is quite possible).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

On 6/24/2024 at 10:17 PM, Flip said:

Despicable Me 4 (T-9)

22 showtimes/151 tix sold (+11) 

.76x Inside Out 2 Thursday (T-9) [9.88m]

still waiting for the final week to jump, but I would not be surprised if the 5 day just barely passes 100m

Despicable Me 4 (T-7)

22 showtimes/175 tix sold (+24) 

.7x Inside Out 2 Thursday (T-7) [9.17m] 

Sold half of Inside Out 2 in the same timespan. Starting tomorrow I’ll have the IO2 Friday comp (it should start at ~26m), so that’s much more encouraging

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I ask, because for all of the talk about Sacramento "massively underperforming"...

%

Sold
T-30

Total

Sold

Sellouts

Shows

Seats Left

Total Seats

Perct

Sold

Final

Sold

% of

Final

Comp

GOTG3

0/205

27411/29568

7.30%

51.89%

45.25m

Just would have thought a GOTG3 comp (which would have been only on its second day of sales) would have been much higher out of Orlando, unless I'm missing something here (which is quite possible).

I don't track Fan events (GOTG started with 3.7k seats sold with no fan event or other things) 

Should be correct. Maybe Disney did its thing for GOTG, idk 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Porthos said:

%

Sold
T-30

Total

Sold

Sellouts

Shows

Seats Left

Total Seats

Perct

Sold

Final

Sold

% of

Final

Comp

GOTG3

0/205

27411/29568

7.30%

51.89%

45.25m

Problem is Disney theater in Orlando. That tends to over index for these movies. So its hard for these ratios to work. That is why I am not a big fan of comparing previews so different. it finishing at similar ratio would be hard. Smaller movies grow more close to release. 

@TheFlatLannister would you be able to comp Deadpool with Barbenheimer combo. Preview levels would be similar and now the ratio would show very high preview for Deadpool but growth of Barbenheimer was off the charts and it would correct. 

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I don't track Fan events (GOTG started with 3.7k seats sold with no fan event or other things) 

Should be correct. Maybe Disney did its thing for GOTG, idk 

@TheFlatLannister I think @Porthos asked about fan shows for Deadpool at MTC1. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

The first is achievable. The second, ehhh probably unlikely.

A+ for a CBM is a much higher bar than you seem to think it is. As for your second point, yeah given the hype behind this one, I don't see it doing more than 2.8x max even if it manages to get an A+ given how frontloaded Marvel movies are nowadays.

• Like 1