Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

5 hours ago, vafrow said:

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga, T-5 Thursday previews, western GTA (southern Ontario)

Total Sales: 111

New Sales: 6

Growth: 6%

Theatres tracked: MTC4

Total theatres: 5

Showtimes: 22

Radius: 19 km

Tickets per showtime: 4.8

Ticket premium in effect: Yes

Tickets by Showtime Slot 

Late Afternoon: 8/4

Early Evening: 67/9

Late Evening: 36/9

Tickets by Format

Dolby: 19/6

IMAX: 72/6

VIP: 11/5

4DX: 3/2

Regular: 0/3

Comps

0.156x Dune 2 for $1.6M

1.110x KOTPOTA for $5.6M

0.446x HG:BoSS for $2.6M

Average: $3.2M

It's losing pace. It might be the long weekend effect though, with this being a holiday weekend.

Cinephiles and Film Twitter have already bought their tickets! 

(I kid!)

• Haha 1

I don’t usually track but I was looking at the showings for Inside Out 2 for Thursday previews (June 13) in a theater near me (not in my town but about 40 miles away). There is an almost completely sold out showing. Out of 195 seats, 175 were sold. Where I live there seems to be real interest. I think if I do some rough math I counted about more than 400 tickets sold on Thursday for theaters near me, but I thought I’d point this out cause it kind of shocked me. 

https://tickets.fandango.com/mobileexpress/seatselection?row_count=451736316&mid=234178&chainCode=CNMK&sdate=2024-06-13+16%3A15&tid=aasus&route=map-seat-map

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

Deadpool has 42 showings for previews across four SE Wisconsin theaters I track. About 20% more showings than IO2 and about the same amount of PLFs spread and likely 3-4 screens a theater for Thursday previews, but has SuperScreen, in addition to two UltraScreen screens in Majestic Cinema. There seems to be a 3D push with North Shore having primetime showings in 3D UltraScreen.

• Like 5

On 5/17/2024 at 11:48 PM, YM! said:

The Garfield Movie  - Lazy Sunday Early Access -  5/19/24    T-1 days til previews, 1 theater (Brookfield Square)

23 seats sold - all 2D. The combined previews total for Garfield is 35 tickets, which is pretty solid. Still thinking around 2-2.75m previews with EA as while not as widespread, the showings seem like they’re filling up nicely. Think Garfield does about the same as IF though OW as due to the likely lower ATP Keyser hinted at iirc and seemingly little screen space with no PLFs.

With less than twenty minutes to go, 50 tickets were sold for EA. Thinking around 500-600K for EA, so like 2M previews total.

• Like 2

Speaking of DP3 showings.... Pro tip for those who use Fandango (and aren't using some form of scrapers).

Fandango's date strip (where one can jump ahead to a future date to see showtimes) only goes about 60 days in advance, more or less.  That means one either has to use the direct Deadpool and Wolverine landing page and hope you get all of the theaters you want to track, or you have to manually adjust the url date as seen in the following links:

https://www.fandango.com/95814_movietimes?date=2024-07-25

https://www.fandango.com/95814_movietimes?date=2024-07-25&filter=my-theaters

with whatever zip code that is local to your (tracking) area and/or your saved list of theaters.

The date strip will align soon enough, but just thought I should mention this workaround until it does so.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I don’t usually track but I was looking at the showings for Inside Out 2 for Thursday previews (June 13) in a theater near me (not in my town but about 40 miles away). There is an almost completely sold out showing. Out of 195 seats, 175 were sold. Where I live there seems to be real interest. I think if I do some rough math I counted about more than 400 tickets sold on Thursday for theaters near me, but I thought I’d point this out cause it kind of shocked me. 

https://tickets.fandango.com/mobileexpress/seatselection?row_count=451736316&mid=234178&chainCode=CNMK&sdate=2024-06-13+16%3A15&tid=aasus&route=map-seat-map

The question we should be asking is how high it will go. It’ll undoubtedly be a hit.

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of DP3 showings.... Pro tip for those who use Fandango (and aren't using some form of scrapers).

Fandango's date strip (where one can jump ahead to a future date to see showtimes) only goes about 60 days in advance, more or less.  That means one either has to use the direct Deadpool and Wolverine landing page and hope you get all of the theaters you want to track, or you have to manually adjust the url date as seen in the following links:

https://www.fandango.com/95814_movietimes?date=2024-07-25

https://www.fandango.com/95814_movietimes?date=2024-07-25&filter=my-theaters

with whatever zip code that is local to your (tracking) area and/or your saved list of theaters.

The date strip will align soon enough, but just thought I should mention this workaround until it does so.

Lmao it just keeps getting better 🙄

(thanks this is very helpful and you just saved me a headache!)

• Like 2

I would be cautious expecting high sales tomorrow for D&W. I think there´s some uncharted waters with the first R rated movie in the MCU and the diminishing returns from the last years. Interest seems high and this is giving event movie vibes, but I wouldn´t be surprised if sales tomorrow is somewhere under Vol 3 first day. This is a long pre sales window and while I do agree that fans will probably rush out to buy I don´t think it will get anywhere close to some of the other previous big MCU movies OD. Would love to be wrong of course.

• Like 3

So, my local Cinemark presale sets for DP3...

3 screens and 15 showings each - the PLF is giving 1 of 2 PLF screens and the non-PLF is doing some 3d showings.

Not the set that a normal "big" Marvel movie gets, but it seems my 2 locals have taken a "put up or shut up" strategy for almost all blockbusters lately.

This IS equal or more than most everything lately (although Bad Boys 4 is getting 3 screens and 14 showings at my PLF, so...).

But, compared to 2019 Marvel, or even 2021 or EVEN 2023 Marvel...this is a low set.

Not uber-low - Madame Web was much worse...and DC hasn't gotten as much love...but for Marvel - low.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, my local Cinemark presale sets for DP3...

3 screens and 15 showings each - the PLF is giving 1 of 2 PLF screens and the non-PLF is doing some 3d showings.

Not the set that a normal "big" Marvel movie gets, but it seems my 2 locals have taken a "put up or shut up" strategy for almost all blockbusters lately.

This IS equal or more than most everything lately (although Bad Boys 4 is getting 3 screens and 14 showings at my PLF, so...).

But, compared to 2019 Marvel, or even 2021 or EVEN 2023 Marvel...this is a low set.

Not uber-low - Madame Web was much worse...and DC hasn't gotten as much love...but for Marvel - low.

I would point out that it's kinda silly to go "all out" over two months in advance, unless one is expecting a TFA/IW level of initial pre-sales, which I don't believe anyone is.

So seeing some level of pullback makes sense even outside of concerns over the current appeal of the MCU.

(and, no, my own self-interest in not counting 300 showtimes for two months isn't influencing my thoughts here 😛

((okay, maaaaaaaybe a little 😉))

• Like 7

Southeast Wisconsin Marcus Theaters Tracking - 5/19/24 - 4 Theaters used (North Shore, Menominee Falls, Brookfield Square, Majestic Cinema

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga    5/23/24    T-4 days til previews, 8 screens (2 per theater), 20 showings (12 PLF/8 2D)   

79 tickets sold (19 - North Shore, 9 at Menominee Falls, 9 at Brookfield Square, 42 at Majestic Cinema) (8 in 2D/53 in PLF)

• That’s about a 30% increase within the past two days for Furiosa. Not much has changed, it’s seeing the most traffic around the whiter areas of Mequon and Waukesha but pace is solid and growth is normal. We should get a few more shows on Tuesday and I’ll try to track both it and Garfield on Thursday during showings. Feel about right for the 4-5M previews range.

The Garfield Movie    5/23/24    T-4 days til previews, 5 screens (1 per theater but Brookfield Square), 16 showings (12 2D/4 3D)

9 tickets sold (4 at Menominee Falls, 5 at Majestic Cinema) (8 2D/4 3D)   (+50 from EA so 59 total.)

• Returns are common but apart from a decent EA showing, it feels really muted. Feels like with IF doing solid, it took some air out of Garfield but maybe reviews and a strong last week push Garfield could turn it around but not feeling it rn. Thinking the 1.8-2.25M previews range with EA.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 5/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

Bad Boys

Thursday 

T-20

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.4%

*numbers taken as of 12:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

N/A

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

N/A

COMPS

T-20

(0.693x) of Ghostbusters $3.26M

(0.821x) of Apes $4.11M 
Comps AVG: $3.68M 

Well, this is a pretty good start

FLORIDA 

Bad Boys

Thursday 

T-18

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.5%

*numbers taken as of 5:00PM EST

COMPS

T-18

(0.731x) of Ghostbusters $3.44M

(0.894x) of Apes $4.47M 
Comps AVG: $3.96M 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would point out that it's kinda silly to go "all out" over two months in advance, unless one is expecting a TFA/IW level of initial pre-sales, which I don't believe anyone is.

So seeing some level of pullback makes sense even outside of concerns over the current appeal of the MCU.

(and, no, my own self-interest in not counting 300 showtimes for two months isn't influencing my thoughts here 😛

((okay, maaaaaaaybe a little 😉))

Like, as I check, TROS started at 156 and then 187 showtimes locally (as a couple of theaters came online a day later), and that still was projected to have a very strong start (which it did).

Now with 3pm start times versus 5pm/6pm for TROS, there's going to be show count growth even if it had the same amount of screens.  Just noting that theaters didn't roll out "full sets" for the last SW Saga film that was at a similar-ish length of pre-sale days.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

For the trackers who use spreadsheets here, does anyone else color code their spreadsheets by movie? I've been doing it for a few weeks now and it makes my spreadsheet much more fun to look at while compiling data

Screenshot_2024-05-19_at_4.43.50_PM.png?

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

23 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

FURIOSA

Thursday 

T-5

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.9%

*numbers taken as of 6:00PM EST

COMPS

T-5

(0.381x) of Dune 2 $3.54M

(1.459x) of Civil War $4.23M
(1.010x)
 of Planet Apes $5.05M

(0.633x) of Godzill and Kong $6.02M

Comps average: $4.71M

Second straight day of weak growth. Not a great sign. Hopefully this is just a Florida thing. 

FLORIDA 

FURIOSA

Thursday 

T-4

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

3.2%

COMPS

T-4

(0.391x) of Dune 2 $3.64M

(1.508x) of Civil War $4.37M
(1.004x)
 of Planet Apes $5.02M

(0.634x) of Godzill and Kong $6.02M

Comps average: $4.76M

Does look like it's heading to maybe $5M

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 5/17/2024 at 11:07 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

THE GARFIELD MOVIE

Thursday 

T-6

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.1%

*numbers taken as of 10:00PM EST

N/A

COMPS

T-6

(0.574x) of Kung Fu Panda 4 $2.18M

Comps average: $2.18M

Not much movement at all in the past week. Probably heading to $2M+

FLORIDA 

THE GARFIELD MOVIE

Thursday 

T-4

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

1.1%

COMPS

T-4

(0.554x) of Kung Fu Panda 4 $2.11M

Comps average: $2.11M

Pace is actually terrible 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

THE GARFIELD MOVIE

Pace is actually terrible 

Now it's kids animation, so the actual song ain't over 'till it's actually wrote, but I've been thinking ever since I first heard about this film that the live-action Garfield movies did a hefty level of damage to the "brand" and thus I've been a lot more skeptical about this film than many (which is why I even commented on the first day of sales as I was somewhat surprised at their strength).

Add in that the Garfield comic itself is somewhat long in the tooth...

Well, if it just does 'eh' business, I for one won't be surprised, as it's going back to the priors I had before sales started.

Still, and to *TRY* to keep this as a Tracking style post/reply, as said, really can't say much about pure kids film until the last couple of days of pre-sales as the level of the explosion on Su/Mo/Tu/We/Thr is what really tells the tale.

May not be an Illumination film, but they're the poster children for massive late explosion and thus a reminder that it really isn't over 'till it's over for pure-kids flicks.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, YM! said:

Southeast Wisconsin Marcus Theaters Tracking - 5/19/24 - 4 Theaters used (North Shore, Menominee Falls, Brookfield Square, Majestic Cinema

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga    5/23/24    T-4 days til previews, 8 screens (2 per theater), 20 showings (12 PLF/8 2D)   

79 tickets sold (19 - North Shore, 9 at Menominee Falls, 9 at Brookfield Square, 42 at Majestic Cinema) (8 in 2D/53 in PLF)

• That’s about a 30% increase within the past two days for Furiosa. Not much has changed, it’s seeing the most traffic around the whiter areas of Mequon and Waukesha but pace is solid and growth is normal. We should get a few more shows on Tuesday and I’ll try to track both it and Garfield on Thursday during showings. Feel about right for the 4-5M previews range.

The Garfield Movie    5/23/24    T-4 days til previews, 5 screens (1 per theater but Brookfield Square), 16 showings (12 2D/4 3D)

9 tickets sold (4 at Menominee Falls, 5 at Majestic Cinema) (8 2D/4 3D)   (+50 from EA so 59 total.)

• Returns are common but apart from a decent EA showing, it feels really muted. Feels like with IF doing solid, it took some air out of Garfield but maybe reviews and a strong last week push Garfield could turn it around but not feeling it rn. Thinking the 1.8-2.25M previews range with EA.

I just realized I got no good comparisons for animation now that I’m doing new models. IF sold about 113 tickets on the lead up six and a half hours before previews, and Wish did 247 tickets thirty minutes before showtime in North Shore and Menomonee. Then I got stuff from my North Shore days with Rise of Gru at 84 tickets sold one day before release at North Shore.

• Like 1

Garfield Early Shows

MTC1 -  8972/11208 119102.84 140 shows

MTC2 - 9696/14920 129291.15 125 shows

With it being just 1PM regular show on a Sunday, it wont over index on MTC1 like early PLF shows for big movies. Probably around 400k ish for early shows. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I do think upfront demand for Garfield might not be as extreme in the US as it was abroad because there is now another kids option out here, and if there is a passionate fanbase that still remains for it it's mostly of the nostalgic boomer demographic.

• Like 2