katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

What was the last live action "orginal" movie from mouse. They only release franchise movies or live action of their animated hits or their movies based on theme parks which are mostly fails except Pirates. Only movie I can think off is Tomorrowland by Bird and that was Eons ago and flopped as well. 

Queen of Katwe might be their last original live action movie?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But this is not Barbie. She didn't direct it, the script was rewritten by other writers and she might not even get the credit in the end, it's not her vision, just Disney gig and nothing more than that. Charlie Kaufman did a draft of Chaos Walking, would you also say it's some auther project just because he was involved once?

Yep. Also, Barbie didn't reimage any existing story but wrote a story for the dolls. By the sound of it, Snow White is that in name only. There's no Prince, there are no dwarves and Snow White wants to be a leader which is nothing groundbreaking cause KStew's Snow White was a leader too in the end. The only difference was that the Huntsman replaced the Prince as her love interest and new Snow White won't have a love interest, but leadership/warrior thing has been done before. With a more popular actress. 

57321bb652bcd024008c2104?width=1074&form

So Gerwig or not this is not going to be a novelty unlike Barbie. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Tomorrowland is based on a ride at Disneyland.

In terms of live action movies that aren't oonnected to animated movies or theme park rides, the last seem to be The Finest Hours and Queen of Katwe from 2016. Though those are true story movies so that may stretch the definition of original.

"Tommorowland" is not a ride at the Disney Parks. It is one of the traditoina sections that parks are divided into. 'Fantasyland, Frontierland; etc).

DIsney has a bad year and people act like the apocalypse has come. Every studio has the occasional bad year. Disney will survive.

And at least they can get some joy out of their arch enemy in Florida doing a crash and burn......

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

No, it has something to do with the fact that having a co-writing credit on a movie is not the same thing as directing+writing a movie. Noah Baumbach (Greta Gerwig's husband) wrote Madagascar 3. What does it have in common with any of his films?

It’s disingenuous shit. I have you on ignore, but I will entertain this answer:

Barbie is a strong feminist take on a feminist toy. Snow White is obviously shaping up as a strong feminist take on a fairytale. It’s reportedly co-written by Greta Gerwig and everything that it’s said here:

Seems like a fitting follow up and a spiritual successor of Barbie this year. The public that went nuts for Barbie won’t go away, and soon people will see that Barbie didn’t got popular because of memes. It turns out that if you make films directly aimed towards women, they connect with it. If anything, the more outraged people get at this film, even better for it next year.

• Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't get the need a lot of people have to eat something during a movie. And they always add that on to the costs like it's a requirement to buy popcorn and soda.

Seriously. Nobody is forcing you to pay for overpriced concessions

• Like 1

You don't need new releases until the end of the year.

September - TENET re-release

October - Inception re-release

November - Interstellar re-release

Thanksgiving - The Prestige IMAX treatment

December - Dunkirk re-release

Xmas - TDK trilogy re-release

Schedule sorted. Box office sorted. :)

Edited by The Dark Alfred
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Luck changes quickly. Cruise saved the cinema last year and crashed and burned this year. Margot crashed and burned twice last year and saved the cinema this year. who knows what's in store for Disney in 2024?

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

My dad who hardly ever goes to the cinema has only seen Maverick, The Batman, Avatar 2 and now Oppenheimer since the pandemic

speaking of dads the last movie I saw with mine was Indiana Jones. Before that the trailers for Oppenheimer, Mission Impossible, Dune got zero reaction from him but after the Haunted Mansion trailer came up he turned to me and said "that looks great" so i hope he's having fun this weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m so conflicted about the TMNT movie now that it has such rave reviews. I absolutely hate to see high quality animation fail right now at the box office, but also I want it to as karma for the Paramount execs having the audacity to shit all over the medium and say they won’t greenlit original animation anymore. The level of rage that statement gave me. 

No offense, but none of these execs, in any major studio, give a fuck about the art form of film and originality. Disney don’t care, Warner don’t, Uni don’t. Every movie you see is going in the pockets of these callous, capitalist executives. So either just ignore these execs or don’t see any movie ever. Sorry

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have problems with some of the BTS stuff from Snow White...the Dwarves look like shit.....But I don;t get the Racheal Zegler is wrong for the role crap.  Have they ever seen her?

ANyway, a Hispanic (well, half Hispanic, her father is German Polish) and a Jewish Wicked Queen will bring out the bigots anyway......

It’s bts shit likely from paparazzis. A lot of Barbie looked hilariously bad from paparazzi shit too, and that film turned out gorgeous. I don’t think it’s fair to judge a film from paparazzi pictures. It will be fine, and if Disney is paying attention to Barbie - and any studio should - they might have one of the biggest secret weapons for 2024 (or 2025? Who knows with the strikes) and we just haven’t realized yet.

U can tell I'm disconnected from the world cause I didn't even realize press tours were still that important lol. I see the trailers for films when they come out and then never see anything else. Didn't realize there were people who actually even still watched talk shows and interviews and red carpet events to get excited for a film

• Like 2

Just now, Killimano3 said:

U can tell I'm disconnected from the world cause I didn't even realize press tours were still that important lol. I see the trailers for films when they come out and then never see anything else. Didn't realize there were people who actually even still watched talk shows and interviews and red carpet events to get excited for a film

There's also compilations of interviews that get hundreds of thousands of views, sometimes millions.

I'm addicted to celebrity interviews I won't lie. Even when I'm not interested in the movie I still watch some.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s disingenuous shit. I have you on ignore, but I will entertain this answer:

Barbie is a strong feminist take on a feminist toy. Snow White is obviously shaping up as a strong feminist take on a fairytale. It’s reportedly co-written by Greta Gerwig and everything that it’s said here:

Okay, so to put this in a way that you can maybe understand,  a Marvel movie!

Whedon did a draft of the X-Men movie and we all know the legend that they only kept two lines from his scripts, one of which was the infamous Toad line.  When I first learned that was a Whedon line, I could immediately picture Buffy or Willow saying it and it sounding just fine.

The difference between directing your own script and someone else directing it - can make a huge difference!

Just now, Killimano3 said:

i don't think the audience for these talks shows is much to speak of but they have promo pieces that are designed to go viral and I think those def can help juice up awareness. YouTube promo like Hot Ones maybe makes more impact with a younger audiences too.

• Like 2